CBG:CBD Cannabinoid Tincture — It's Helping My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Quiet please, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      This makes a lot of sense if you have EH. There is definitely an inflammatory component to it. If you have it in both ears then it’s likely autoimmune in nature (I think they say 90% of bilateral EH is autoimmune). Have you ever tried a diuretic or LDN?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      @Lukee, I have the CEH in one ear only, so I guess it’s not autoimmune. That sounds like a good thing.

Unfortunately I have issues with diuretics. The first is I shouldn’t take due to my other inflammatory condition. But of course, I went ahead & tried a Potassium sparing prescription plus several OTC supplements. I (of course!) get negative reactions from the prescription & the OTCs just don’t work. This is why I initially tried CBG. It’s seems to be working at reducing the swelling without any side effects! So far, anyway.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      16 Day Update: Everything is the same with the tinnitus; it’s still behaving.

The more interesting thing is no spikes. First time in more than 11 years that I’ve gone more than a couple of days without some sort of spike. Encouraging.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Joint pain almost gone. Anxiety down. Mood improved. Tinnitus smoother. Spikes disappearing.

Pretty good so far.

Keep believing...

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lukee, I just saw you asked if I’ve ever tried LDN. The answer is no. I thought about it. The pain relief aspect definitely intrigued me. But after some research and my trusty gut feelings, I decided not to pursue that course. Why? Because almost every single prescription medication makes me sick. I do not usually read the 2% possible side effect, but damm if I don’t get it. It’s like a curse. Highly sensitive and highly afraid of it happening again.

This is why I choose to try CBG:CBD. My limited research showed that side effects were very low and I would know right away.

So far, so good.

6. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Quiet please:

I have been dosing myself 4 times per day with this CBG:CBD, and yesterday I had the second worst spike in all of the 7.5 years I have had this (it was so loud in my left ear that I could not hear external sounds).

I am definitely not suggesting that the CBG:CBD had anything to do with causing this spike. I am only reporting that so far it has had no effect.

Also, my heartfelt, sincere apologies to anyone who has been annoyed or discomfited by any of my recent postings.

I am undergoing an unprecedented level of crisis from this condition and I have no justification for acerbic, unduly provocative commentary. This has been more about my increasingly compromised, unmanageable situation than it has been about the content from any other posters.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    7. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Whatever works for you. LDN does fight inflammation and especially neuroinflammation so I thought you’d be a good candidate. Given that you have it only in one ear, maybe LDN might not help but it seems that for the most part, inflammation seems to be a factor for you.

How about Prednisone, ever tried it?

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lukee, thank you for your heartfelt suggestion of using the LDN. You're most kind to try to help. This condition (surprise!) is insidious and at times, overwhelming, so I really appreciate your thoughts and input. I do know about its neuroinflammation benefits, which is why I was considering it a while ago. If my tinnitus gets worse again, I will revisit.

Yes, I’ve had 3 instances where I’ve used Prefnisone.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Uklawyer, that’s great! Good luck with it. I really hope it helps you in some way.

So far my tinnitus is still softer and no spikes.

But my pain is almost all gone. THAT is a miracle in itself. Also my inflammation and joint swelling is very much reduced. Not sure you have any of these additional issues; but if you do it would be great to know if it’s helping.

11. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Quiet please, thanks - I hope it does help in some way.

I do not have the same issues as you, but I do have ME/CFS and I have seen theories around inflammation/oxidative stress, so perhaps there is something in that that correlates with the tinnitus; or it could help with that in some way regardless.

Yours is pretty high in CBG, isn't it?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Uklawyer, inflammation in general seems to be involved in everything. Anything that can “naturally” quell it is something to investigate in my book. When I take any type of anti-inflammation prescription (except Prednisone) or over the counter drug, the tinnitus goes into a major meltdown. I have not tried LDN & maybe will if this latest doesn’t work out. I figured I had a shot at CBG not aggregating the tinnitus, but never really thought it would dampen it.

The tincture bottle I use contains 2,500 MG each (equal parts 1 to 1) of CGB:CBD @ 25MG per 1ML. I’m taking 1ML 3 x a day. I had started with 4 x a day, but cut back a bit. The results seem to be the same. Next week I’ll cut back to 2 x a day and see what happens. Always refining and experimenting. We all do that I know.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @DaveFromChicago, that’s so awful you had such a terrible spike. I pray it’s gone or at least much better. I also sincerely hope it wasn’t from the CBG. So far, it’s helping me. But from what I’m reading from Uklawyer & Lukee, there’s a very good chance it’s probably because my particular type of tinnitus is more than likely inflammatory in nature. I also agree.

It appears the CBG is helping with my inflammation not only in my joints, but in my ear. If your formula is a combination of CBG with CBD, could the CBD be causing the spike? I’ve read where this is common with CBD. Some people cannot tolerate CBD.

Wishing you all the best!

14. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      So to add to the discussion:

Firstly, I am being a guinea pig for CBG isolate.

I have some theories as to why CBG (or at least 1:1 of CBD:CBG) could be helping @Quiet please. A key difference between CBD and CBG is the action on serotonin. Both stimulate GABA (relaxation), but CBG specifically is a 5-HT1A receptor antagonist (serotonin).

Here is a study discussing CBG as a 5-Ht1A receptor antagonist and an Alpha2-adrenoceptor agonist (Alpha2-adrenoceptors are associated with G-proteins that control the sympathetic nervous system).

Both help with neuroinflammation. In general, CBG is a precursor to other cannabinoids (including CBD and THC).

Would be awesome to see more guinea pigs for CBG, particularly isolate. It's not well studied, but I wonder if it could have a benzo-lite effect. I guess CBD + CBG (full spectrum) might encourage a stronger entourage effect for inflammation, but CBD and THC (present in full spectrum) are known to spike tinnitus.

If CBG isolate doesn't help me, I will probably try CBG + CBD next for my Sjogren's Syndrome.

• Winner Winner x 2
    15. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Zugzug, welcome to the thread and thank you for your participation!

I am also curious about the effect of CBG alone and wonder how it works cf. the entourage effect, but have seen a number of reports around using it alongside CBD.

I don't think my use of CBG with CBD has had any negative effect on my tinnitus, and it may well be helping with it, but it's too early to say and there are cofactors at play too.

Hope it does something for you.

Best

16. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I definitely believe in the entourage effect for overall medicinal value. Honestly, even though I'm going to start with CBG isolate, I think it's more likely that CBG + CBD is more effective (if anything helps). I like doing isolated experiments to help understand the pathology better.

The reason why cannabis experiments are tricky is because they all help inflammation (CB2) and they all alter brain chemistry (CB1). So just because the tinnitus worsened, it could be because of an incorrect choice of cannabinoid affecting serotonin, GABA, glutamate, dopamine, etc. It can also be from an incorrect dose.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Zugzug, so glad to see another pioneer conducting self experimentation using CBG. I confess I don’t know what exactly CBG Isolate is, how to purchase and how much to use, but I’m curious as heck.

Please... Do tell.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is my 3 week update:

I truly wish I could say the tinnitus is better, but it’s not. In fact, on a 2 x a day dosage at the 3 week mark I feel the tinnitus is catching up to its true self. It’s not as smooth anymore - now a shriller. It’s trying to make a comeback & I’m going to make adjustments to put it back in its rightful quieter place.

So I’ve decided to go back to my original dosage of 4 ml a day; 1 ml 4x a day. Dosing is very experimental for me because I honestly have no idea what the sweet spot is. My gut says go back to the beginning, so that’s what I’m going to do. This is day 1 of that.

Please wish me luck. Life’s been better with the tinnitus behaving. Of course.

• Hug Hug x 2
    19. SoundB0und
      Balanced

SoundB0und Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      First of all, thanks @Quiet please for making the thread and sharing your experiences with CBG. I just received my bottle of CBG and will write about my experiences in the future, I already took my first dose but it's too soon to draw any definite conclusions and also I've taken a very low dose so far. First, I want to clarify a few things for myself and for the sake of the thread.
      I think in general, it would be better if we mentioned mg amounts of CBG specifically, it would make things a whole lot easier. The tinctures on the market are with wildly different concentrations it seems. For example, if I'd take 1 ml from my bottle, 4x a day, I would be getting 120 mg of CBD a day. So it's better to mention the mg amounts IMO (mg of CBG that is, not the mg of both CBD and CBG), that way we don't have to find a previous post by the poster where he/she mentions how many mg per ml, convert the ml to mg, then compare to the mg-s we are taking, and then back to ml.

Just to make things clear, @Quiet please, you're taking 1 ml at a time, which is 25 mg of CBG. 1 ml is around 20 drops according to Google and also my CBG bottle where it mentions how many drops and how many ml there are in the bottle. So you're literally dropping 20 drops of the tincture in your mouth, under your tongue, then keeping it there for a couple of minutes and you're doing this 4 times a day?

With my calculations, to get the same dose from my bottle, it'd last 6 days, I'd need 5 bottles a month and pay over €200 EUR for them, but I think all things cannabis are much more widely used in USA and from the brands you mentioned, one would be getting a much better deal there. If this works for me and I keep taking it with same or similar doses as you, I need to find a cheaper option though.

I've mentioned on this forum before, that I tried CBD and that it spiked me. Well, before I bought my CBG bottle I tried CBD again for 10 days, 1.5 years later, and it didn't seem to spike me nearly as violently, though there was somewhat of a spike. I kept taking it because I liked the other effects and I somehow didn't seem to mind my tinnitus as much. So the the spike when I tried it for the first time was probably from me freaking out and getting anxious from my tinnitus spiking a bit and possibly me getting a placebo effect as well.

That is all for now. I'll be posting my experiences soon once I figure out what this does to me and what the ideal dose for me personally is. Good luck everybody.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Quiet please, what about splitting it and doing 3 ml day? If not effective, you can go up again.

Keep at it. And how is everything else going?

• Like Like x 1
    21. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I purchased CBD and CBG (originally for joint pain) separately and based on my reading it seems that the best place to start is CBG alone. I also like the strategy of trying one thing at a time to isolate the results. I usually separate additions or changes by three days to avoid confusion about cause and effect. To remove the possibility of coincidence I also like to turn the effect on and off to verify before I draw a final conclusion.

I'll report back after I try CBG.

George

• Like Like x 1
    22. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am taking 0.75 ml - 25 mg of CBG x 2 times per day.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Uklawyer & everybody.

So I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with figuring out this dosing and keeping the tinnitus at bay. I really wanted to take as less as possible, but now see I need more.

I get it when you all say don’t go by ML, but rather by MG. Makes sense.

I’ve done:
      -25 mg 4x day - Tinnitus did well; quieter.
      -25 mg 3x day - Tinnitus ok, then got a bit louder.
      -25 mg 2x day - Tinnitus started being even louder.

So I’m back to 25 mg 4x day but tinnitus is still louder. Of course.

@GeorgeLG, @SoundB0und, unfortunately my go-to company; Lazarus Naturals doesn’t sell CBG alone. What company do you recommend that sells it alone?

24. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was Lazarus Naturals as recommended by my knowledgeable son-in-law.

George

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GeorgeLG, wow! I missed that! I just ordered the Lazarus Naturals Tincture Isolate CBG in the 60 ml bottle. It’s 50 mg per 1 ml. I’m going to start with 2 doses per day. Fingers crossed.

Thank you.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Quiet please
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yesterday, I stopped taking the combination CBG:CBD tincture.

I ordered the CBG alone & will take it ASAP with the hope that it continues to help with my inflammation, pain and swelling. I’m praying it was also responsible for the reduction of the tinnitus.

I think the CBD is causing the tinnitus spike. The only way to tell for sure is to purge it from my system and use the CBG alone. Only time will tell.

27. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I really hope it works for you. I also ordered pure CBG crystals, following @Zugzug's post above. I should get them in a couple of days and will start experimenting. I desperately need something that brings down this electric scream.

This paper discusses the impact of cannabinoids on tinnitus. They talk about CB1R and CB2R receptors mostly, and they don't really look at CBG, so I signal it just as a general reference on cannabinoids and tinnitus/hearing problems, but the main point of interest in trying CBG as opposed as CBD is what Zugzug said above, the effect on 5-Ht1A receptors, which is the opposite of CBD. CBD spikes my tinnitus and we know that serotonin relationship with tinnitus is very nuanced. There is a chance that CBG could then calm the tinnitus down while keeping the other benefits of CBD, we can only hope.

• Like Like x 1
    28. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good luck with the CBG alone, I am interested in how this works for you.

George

• Like Like x 1
    29. Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did an experiment this weekend to confirm what I already strongly suspected. Undoubtedly, THC worsens me.

I took high doses (300-400 mg) of full spectrum CBD over the weekend and the tinnitus went bonkers. On Monday, I then took 300 mg of broad spectrum CBD (same thing without THC) and today, the tinnitus is softer. Granted, there are other variables. For example, I take Methotrexate on Sundays, which I believe temporarily spikes my tinnitus. However, I am quite convinced that there's a difference between full spectrum and broad spectrum for me.

My next goal is to figure out the difference between CBD and CBG or CBN. It would be awesome if one of these cannabinoids was tinnitus-neutral since they are known to help autoimmune diseases and neuroinflammation. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely keep us posted on the results of this isolation experiment.

George

• Like Like x 1