Church Attendance

Discussion in 'Support' started by Static Sophie 73, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Sadly I have slowly bowed out from attending church and investing into a church community. Modern day Christian worship is so loud and flashy that I find the whole experience (which should be a soothing one don't you think?!) stressful.

Trying to find a Protestant church that isn't as noisy as a rock band or nightclub here in Australia is proving to be very difficult.

Any other people of faith in here finding the same sad challenges ? (n)

2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been to my church over 20 years.
      But, due to my T & H getting worse in past 4 months, I have to quit attending.
      I listen to hymns music CDs and on-line sermons.
      In hardship, I still look upon mighty Lord to help me to go through these difficult hours.

"Suffering produces perseverance; perseverance produces character;
      and character produces hope." - Romans 5:4
      We should never give up HOPE in God.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      And may God never give up hope on us! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      Since my t getting worse I still attending church on weekend but I stay outside in front of the door wearing my plugs.
      And I read my holy bible during the weekdays and asking the Lord Jesus to please decreased my t when I start to read and it's granted and I know God is with me while reading the word of God.

Thanks everyone and god bless us,
      Robert

• Like Like x 2
    5. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      I wear earplugs at my church (which is a non-denominational church in America). I feel generally that it's safe for my ears with plugs, although I am not always sure about that...I know I wouldn't want to be without plugs. The music is definitely louder than it should be or ever has to be. It should at least be at a level where with earplugs you don't have to worry. There are more churches I could try out here, there is one that I have attended which is so much quieter that I'd probably be ok without earplugs.

I think that a lot of people think it's cool to be loud and rocking...whether it's worship or secular. So it is everywhere. I mean I used to play music way too loud before I knew the bane of tinnitus. So maybe people that still make things loud don't have tinnitus or just don't think it's a big issue. People don't always realize that some things they are doing and could easily change are affecting other people negatively. Although the church really should be a place that thinks about things like that and takes the responsible action.

With all that I sometimes just skip the worship part of the service or sit outside until it's over.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Yeah arriving later once the worship time is over is another option although parking is lousy at our church and hard to get a park that late in the service :facepalm:

7. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Church hop until you find one that fits you, I'm sure theres one that has less noises. Sit in the back., Bring plugs.

• Like Like x 2
    8. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know that T life is tough.
      Our church has special one-to-one counseling for those who need help.
      I personally feel that is very good.

• Like Like x 1
    9. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I stopped believing a long time ago but I remember church being very loud at times as a kid and a teen.

Bring some custom musician ear plugs and have them handy, I honestly believe they'll be enough to handle the sound of choirs, church music, group prayers, etc.

Also, consider it a time to find some time to devote yourself to some personal time with the church. Go and pray in silence or in quiet. I don't really believe in the "church" anymore but I definitely see the value in such belief and the power it can bring some people. So, I wouldn't discourage it, but don't feel guilty if you feel unfit to attend huge masses, etc. You can find a way to make it work.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dont just think about yourself. The loudness can be damaging even to people who have no T yet. Think about potential damages to your loved ones you bring along. The consequence is unimaginable. I cringe everytime my son says he is going to a movie. Yes, even movies!

• Like Like x 1
    11. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      @Static Sophie 73 That's no good. It must be the areas. Our churches around here are pretty quiet. It's soothing. And I'm not a regular, but when I've gone the few times it's relaxing.

12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am not attending because I cannot tolerate the singing and the music. Between each message there seems to be a song and I cannot handle that anymore. Wearing an ear plug is helpful, but I cannot hear the messages, so it does not help....

13. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I agree with yonkapin's suggestion. If you can't find a quieter church, musician's ear plugs just might be worth a try. Reducing the decibal level of the music while still be able to hear the sermon. You can check them out at the Ear Plug Superstore:

https://www.earplugstore.com/nasopl.html

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I wear musician-style plugs during the music and remove them during longer speaking portions, like the readings, prayers and sermon message. I’m pretty discreet with it, only my children notice. They also notice if I do not insert my earplugs before a song and nudge me. Not that I need a reminder, but it’s pretty sweet how they try to help me.

@Static Sophie 73 it took me a year to find my comfort spot at my church. For quite a while, I sat at pews just outside the sanctuary. I tried out different ear plugs until I settled on musician plugs that I really like. Then I tried different locations inside the sanctuary before settling on a spot not too close to any speakers and just the right distance from the musicians. Ironically, I have a dear church friend with severe tinnitus and her favorite spot is uncomfortable for me. I think that just illustrates how personal tinnitus is.

Oh and just an FYI that even traditional services with an organ can be loud. I used a dB app early on to help me better guage my sound environments. I was shocked to find my church’s organ can surpass our singing groups.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I do appreciate your responses. Blessings on your day everyone :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1