Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by erik, May 29, 2012.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I was prescribed Clonazapam/Klonopin in 2010 because my tinnitus changed to severe variable tinnitus. My ENT consultant advised that I only take it when the tinnitus is severe. Two 0.5 mg tablets. It helped a lot reducing the tinnitus over 8 to 12 hours to complete silence or to a more manageable level.

Fortunately I haven't had any problems with Klonopin in 12 years and still have it on prescription from my doctor. I take it about once or twice a month for one or two days, then stop.
      If you are around loud sounds as a musician, even wearing the best hearing protection will not necessarily stop your tinnitus getting worse. If external sound is loud enough it will pass through the head and transfer to your inner ear, by bone conduction and could spike the tinnitus. If you are fortunate the spike might reduce, or it could increase the tinnitus to a new permanent level.

Anyone that has noise-induced tinnitus risks making it worse if they listen to audio through any type of headphones even at low volume. This includes earbuds, AirPods, headsets, bone conduction and noise-cancelling headphones. Some people that have noise-induced tinnitus are able to use headphones without any adverse affects. However, many people that have this type of tinnitus do get adverse effects.

Type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts.

Michael

2. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      I think it has much more to do with how well it reduces anxiety or it is literally calming down DCN activity. If it was purely neck/tension, Valium would be the better option, as I believe it is much better in muscle relaxation, but it isn't as great for tinnitus. Guessing because it isn't as good as reducing anxiety. Don't know if Klonopin is better at reducing nerve impulses than Valium.

Also if you look at benzo withdrawal, it would appear tinnitus from withdrawals hit people using Klonopin worse than Valium.

I think benzos are the devil. Yes some can use 4 mg forever but that is a high dose. Dementia as an outcome of long term use has to be understood. Many people hit tolerance. Accidental addiction is also high.

3. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      That is a pretty jaw dropping amount of benzos.

4. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      Do you still take this dosage every day and, if so, for how long have you been taking it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Karl Tallman

Karl Tallman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One single Gunshot from large caliber handgun
      I’m a 63-year-old musician with left ear only tinnitus originally resulting from a onetime gunshot exposure when I was 26. My right ear is fine.

I had a really bad flare up in 2004 playing one gig with a loud drummer and it caused me to stop playing music for over a year. The last 10 years have been great as I either completely habituated to it or it was gone. I never thought about it. Since 2004 I’ve always worn a -25 dB ear filter in that ear in a loud environment.

Unfortunately, the tinnitus is back louder then ever after doing some vocal recording with headphones a couple months ago at a volume I’ve been recording at for years with no issues.

It’s very intrusive causing me major grief and anxiety. The only thing that masks it is taking a shower with my head under the faucet.

The baseline tinnitus sounds like a hose bib running - constant high frequency ring.

A month ago I finally got into seeing an ENT who was pretty clueless about tinnitus but did give me a prescription for 10 tablets of 0.5 mg Klonopin with one refill. Since that appointment on April 24, almost a month ago, I’ve taken 10 of the tablets usually at night to help me sleep.

I keep thinking my tinnitus is improving or I’m habituating to it as the volume and sound change to a mild hissing and I have several days in a row where the volume is something I could easily live with.

Unfortunately, I’ve now come to the realization that 0.5 mg Klonopin is suppressing my tinnitus for approximately 96 hours! It reduces the tinnitus from an intrusive 8-9 volume to a mild hissing 4-5 in volume and I actually forget I have tinnitus if I’m active. I last took a 0.5 tablet Tuesday night at 8 pm and I had relief until I awoke this morning (Sunday) at 2 am to the sound of the the loud hose bib tinnitus.

I was under the impression that the actual effects of Klonopin on the nervous system only lasted 12-16 hours yet it’s suppressing my tinnitus for up to 4 days! Anyone else get that much relief from just one 0.5 mg pill?

I have an appointment with an audiologist tomorrow so I’m not going to take any Klonopin as I want the baseline tinnitus for the hearing tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervicogenic headaches, Anxiety, OCD, Zoloft
      I've been wondering about that, too. I don't think a 0.5 mg has ever lasted 96 hours for me but I do get 18-24 hours of benefit from Klonopin. I try to take no more than 1 mg per week. I don't think that amount can make me dependent but I do worry about the positive effects wearing off over time.

I think I read where Dr. Nagler stated that benzos can possibly inhibit habituation so that's something to consider when taking them.

• Agree Agree x 1