Decibel Therapeutics

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Contrast, Jan 9, 2019.

1. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Sound Pharmaceuticals is even closer, though it'd be more beneficial for hyperacusis than tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I recently read the book "volume control" by David Owen, and the whole book was like "this is the best time in history to have hearing problems, there are so many options, cochlear implants, hearing aids, lipreading courses, brainstem implants blah blah blah"...

And 20 pages on he will be like "well, cochlear implants cannot really make isolated words really discernible", "hearing aids barely work in most situation, people use them for a week and then put it in a drawer" and so on...

The bottom line is there's nothing yet to cure sensorineural hearing loss, and people cope the best they can, making do without all that useless "technology".

The only advancement has really derived from patients' complaints, although ENTs want to credit themselves with this "great discovery": the reality of hidden hearing loss, basically people with decent audiograms that hear like shit and cannot understand speech in noise at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Many people from within the traditional ENT space aren’t exactly happy with what some of these firms working on restorative medicine are doing because they are apparently stepping on them and working on things that they haven’t been able to do.

One example was that bizarre article about Frequency Therapeutics and FX-322 which came out of the blue that wanted to criticise it. In the article they actually interview some experts in this field who put forward opinions on it, including one from a board of Decibel Therapeutics too. This guy made some rather ridiculous and spurious claims about FX-322 which consequently ignored what had been done and also actually contradicted the science.

4. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Frequency Therapeutics and Sound Pharmaceuticals are ahead, although I’d suggest that if Otonomy are successful with OTO-413 then they too will not be far behind. Basically I think that these three firms are after delivering treatments as quickly as they can and want to deliver benefit as fast as they can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Informative Informative x 8
    6. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Good news! It's great to see technology improving.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. frpp

frpp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj, Nihl, ototoxic drugs, nerve/ vascular issues
      Another day, and one more company closer to a cure. It's getting brighter every day.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Princebeyel
      Depressed

Princebeyel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otoxin
      Is anyone aware if this would help with hair cells lost/damaged due to ototoxic medication?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      AAV therapies in general might one day but this particular drug is for genetic hearing loss due to a deficiency in Otoferlin and isn't a regeneration therapy.

• Like Like x 2
    10. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      This is actually similar stuff to what Akouos is doing, isn’t it?

I was also wondering why a lot of these hearing related pharmaceutical organisations are based in Boston (as a non American I am interested)?

11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It is similar to Akouos, yes.

There are a few biotech hubs around the country (centered around high research university presence because that's where the initial research comes from) and Boston is one of the top hubs.

• Like Like x 1
    12. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Many of them are the result research conducted by Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, both located in Cambridge, Massachusetts (adjacent to Boston) so Boston is a natural place for the organizations to be located.

This link, for example, shows many of the start-up organizations related to the Harvard Stem Cell Institute - Frequency Therapeutics and Decibel Therapeutics among them:

https://hsci.harvard.edu/startups

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    13. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Exactly... Massachusetts and its universities, MIT and Harvard and affiliated hospitals is where a lot of research and magic starts. Politics does affect this as many of the PhD and researchers are from foreign countries. I am concerned and saddened by my nation's anti science and foreign sentiment... Harvard's wealth is on par with a small developing nation.

I forgot to say hi, big hug to my friend FGG!

@tommyd87, hi, I grew up in Boston. The city is basically built around universities, hospitals, and their spin off companies. I am super proud of that, orrather, I like that about my city very much. You've got to see it to believe it. It's amazing. Hope you can visit one day.

Daniel

• Like Like x 3
    14. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      • Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 4
    15. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      decibel-therapeutics-fast-track.png

They got Fast Track designation for their anti ototoxicity treatment. This will help people under cancer therapies preserve hearing.

• Like Like x 12
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Great news. I have always thought about children who receive Cisplatin and become deaf along with tinnitus.

Probably the worst thing that can happen to a child.

• Agree Agree x 4
    18. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      • Informative Informative x 8
      • Like Like x 2
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      IPO date is set for 2/12/21 at initial share price between $16 to $18.

Right now, the only drug in clinical is a preventative for chemo related hearing loss but they do have quite a few drugs in pre-clinical including 3 genetic deafness drugs, vestibular hair cell growth drugs.

It seems like the publicly traded companies move much faster in terms of development.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Of course they do. The have shareholders and a board of directors to push them to get shit done.

21. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      This appears to be the research that they've collaborating on:

http://lab.rockefeller.edu/hudspeth/research/TRULI

Looks very promising. Decibel Therapeutics' website still says they're in "discovery". According to the page's CSS, the status bar is at 80% for that category. I emailed their Investor Relations to see if that meant they were close to preclinical, but they said no:

The status bars that you are referring to are not meant to be indicative of the program targets’ timeline, they are set to the ~80% by default. They are just visual aids to show what stage each candidate is in, i.e. discovery, preclinical, phase 1, etc.​

Though that doesn't appear to be true for the other stages (which aren't all set at 80%).

I'm very curious if they've made any progress. They teamed up with Rockefeller a little over a year ago. Also, just going back to the research real quick, this jumped out at me:

...yields supporting cells capable of transdifferentiation. Upon withdrawal of the compound, some supporting cells move their nuclei into the hair-cell layer and express genes characteristic of hair cells.​

So it sounds like they can create new support cells. I wonder if their compound would work well with what Pipeline Therapeutics is working on? It could possibly also amplify FX-322 (if it actually works), though I'm not sure what would happen if you had too many support cells. So now I'm left wondering: is Decibel Therapeutics trying to create a drug to work with these new support cells, and have they considered teaming up with an existing company that has a drug that can work with these cells?

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    22. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Woah, this can make support cells?

23. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      That was my thought too, this could be a game changer that's flying under the radar, especially if they decide to partner with another company. They seem to be friendly with Frequency Therapeutics on Twitter, but that may just be a frenemy thing, and not a lot of these hearing companies are on Twitter so it may be meaningless.

I emailed their IR a few more questions, I'll post back if I get a reply.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Damn, if support cells can be regrown this may help those who suffer from severe hearing loss that may have little to no support cells. This is a game changer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Wake me up in 500 years when there is a cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

There's a huge amount of potential if true. Please report back if/when they get back to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    27. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Do you know what the target cell type is? Because if it's support cells, it just means some would divide and transdifferiate into hair cells. So it would be more similar to what Frequency Therapeutics is doing and not necessarily an adjunctive treatment. IE you still need support cells to start.

Now, if it's fibroblasts, for instance, that changes things...

28. frpp

frpp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj, Nihl, ototoxic drugs, nerve/ vascular issues
      Imagine unlimited fresh support cells and hair cells. Straight heaven.

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. Geatly

Geatly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, by jackhammering into concrete on constructio
      • Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      They sure are taking their time to report the interim results on their otoprotective drug, Q2 is almost over.

• Agree Agree x 1