Favourite Video Games?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Danny Boy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. JamesR
      Balanced

JamesR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Runescape

>.>
      <.<

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      Anyone plays Warframe or Destiny 2 or No Man's Sky here?

• Like Like x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I used to be a PC gaming snob years ago. In high school I played Call of Duty 1 online multiplayer in deathmatch mode all the time and would consistently be #1 or #2. I did play that awesome Doom game a few years ago on a PC that could run it in 4k at > 30 fps on ultra settings. That was really fun. These days, when I get a chance to play games I play Mario Bros 1 on the NES and try and show my 3 year old how to play. I've been playing that game for 28 years and I can fly through it. I can even play it with my toes.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      Shenmue 1 & 2

Resident Evil 1 and 2 (the remakes) and Code Veronica

Batman Arkham Knight

Mass Effect 2

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

The Witcher 3

• Like Like x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I like the Dark souls series the most of anything I've played. Some good games I've played lately are: Darkest dungeon, Slay the Spire

7. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I play Destiny 2 on xbox sometimes.. which system do you have it in? I'm guessing PS4 from No Man's Sky.

8. Astro
      Alone

Astro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Knights of the Old republic was amazing as a kid. And the complete game is in the app store for 10$ great way to kill time on the go.

Riggt now I play alot of
      Rainbow six siege
      Fork knife
      Apex
      Soon cod modern warfare

9. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I stopped playing Destiny after we completed the first raid. I tried getting back into NMS after the last update but the performance is horrid and Unplayable. Sad because I really enjoyed NMS

10. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      DK country 2, super mario sunshine, yoshi's island, mario kart 8, smash ultimate, jet force gemini, banjo kazooie, friday the 13 on the snes, l4d2, legend of zelda majora's mask, pkmn gsc and rgby, age of empires 2, mother, super mario world, fable 2 etc etc etc

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      a masterpiece

• Like Like x 2
    12. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      ABmsaiil.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Anyone excited for Borderlands 3?:)

14. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts series, Monster Hunter World, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Smash Ult., Pokémon, Persona 5, Skyrim, Borderlands, Super Mario 64 and Odyssey

15. bruh moment
      Frustrated

bruh moment Member

Tinnitus Since:
      `2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Gotta go with Rainbow 6 and Destiny 2.

• Like Like x 1
    16. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      Hollow Knight

I don't play video games that often, but during the lock down last year I picked up a Switch and started again. Previously I would have listed Doom 2 or Super Metroid as my favorite game, but Hollow Knight has topped them in my mind. The game has incredible music, beautiful visuals, a cryptic and intriguing story, and it exists in a strange and fascinating world. It's just an incredible game and led me into putting over 100 hours into it. I even went back and beat it in "steel soul mode" (ie, 1 life mode). I've been dying waiting for the sequel.

Hollow Knight - Release Trailer

As an honorable mention I'll list Cup Head. That was the first game I played in lock down, and it's a blast - great music and visuals. However, it's so frustratingly hard that it made me rage quit a few times. When I finally beat it, I felt like I'd accomplished something - which sounds strange, but I've never been good at video games so to beat this one felt kind of good.

Cuphead Launch Trailer

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      @patorjk
      Hollow Knight was on my list but I sadly was not able to play it before I got hyperacusis. I was lucky enough to listen to some of the soundtrack before then. Gorgeous. Soundtracks draw me to games the most, I'd say. I love the art direction and character designs of it too.

I've been watching a bunch of Cuphead hater runs lately. I'm excited to see the DLC. I never finished it myself but it is really fun to watch. I especially like seeing people running B&W and 2-strip mode to see how the game really shines, but it seems impossible to play that way.

As for me, I used to play games a lot more when I was younger. I play stuff here and there but I don't buy every new AAA title. I used to play a lot of JRPGs but I grew to not have as much patience for them. The last true turn based RPG I played through was Bravely Default, which was a huge waste of time. I tried to play FF7R and didn't get too far, which I regret now because the remastered OST really took me back.

Probably most recent title I fell in love with was Nier: Automata. Was gunning to see the symphony if it weren't for COVID-19 and hyperacusis. I've probably listened to the soundtrack front to back over 100 times.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hadn't played games since I was a teenager but recently picked up League of Legends and I'm super addicted!

19. Gareth Davies
      Dreaming

Gareth Davies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection & ETD
      Subnautica - quite possibly the best aquatic game in existence.

You will be afraid to go to greater depths though :bag: I was!

d735f325b2aff9439de270dfffebe48f.jpg
      Please Note: Leviathans in mirror are closer than they appear.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      I play a lot of Overwatch and Hearthstone.

But if you're asking what are the best games I've played in my life?

Alright...

Fallout 1 and 2
      The God of War Trilogy
      The Mass Effect Trilogy
      The Batman: Arkham Trilogy
      Most games from the Shin Megami Tensei series on PS2
      The Donkey Kong Country trilogy on Super Nintendo
      Def Jam: Fight for New York

And Starcraft 1 was an amazing game, mostly because of the soundtrack.

• Like Like x 3
    21. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Currently playing AC: Valhalla, about 70 hours in. If I wasn't laid off for the lockdown here, then I wouldn't have enough time to even make a dent in this game. But under the circumstances, this behemoth open world is just what the doctor ordered. If you are even marginally interested in Norse mythology, get this game!

As for my favourite games, let's see...

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
      Resident Evil 2
      Conker's Bad Fur Day
      007 GoldenEye
      CoD 4 Modern Warfare
      GTA: San Andreas
      The Forest
      Deus Ex: Human Revolution
      God of War 2
      Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3
      NHL 2004
      WWF No Mercy
      WoW (up to WotLK)
      Forza Horizon 4
      Bloodborne

• Like Like x 3
    22. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts/drums/headphones/shooting/acoustic trauma
      New Metroid game out today, the first one in the main series in 19 years... HYPE!

Or, just a bit hyped. Playing without sound just isn't the same.

I'm playing a lot these days, very good distraction.

I recently went through Castlevania 1 + 3 for the NES a couple of times. Those are pretty challenging games that requires full focus, so I even forget about my tinnitus for short moments.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amazing game! One of my all-time favourites as well.

That you beat steel soul mode is pretty crazy to me... how many attempts did it take?

I have high hopes for the sequel.

• Like Like x 1
    24. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      Only 1 surprisingly, though I was super careful and practiced the harder bosses on one of my other save files.

• Like Like x 1
    25. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      I just started playing Metroid: Dread. Samus is so bad ass in this. Loving it. I’m also playing with no volume :( will be changing to low volume soon!

Castlevania 1-3. If you can beat those games, I will respect you as a gamer lol. Those games really put your skills to the test. Super Castlevania 4 is amazing though if you haven’t played that yet! Also symphony of the night

If looking to be fully absorbed and distracted, I recommend the rougelite genre. Look into Hades, Slay the Spire (this one will keep you focused!), Binding of Isaac, Splunky, Enter the Gungeon,

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice! I really liked the game, maybe even more so on the second playthrough when I tried to hurry, very fluid gameplay!

My brother told me that the soundtrack is nothing to write home about, so no big loss there at least. :)
      Hehe yeah, it was a challenge and test of patience. Always thought of them to be too hard for me, but I gave it a true attempt and it wasn't too bad.

Agree about Castlevania 4, probably the best in the series! I also like all the games in the "Metroidvania" style.
      Thanks for the recommendations!

I've played a few of those, Binding of Isaac is my favourite. I will look into Slay the Spire, it looks interesting!

• Like Like x 1
    27. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gameplay is very good for dread and transition to cinematics to gameplay is sublime. I’m not so sure how I feel about the E.M.M.I. the areas they cover take up a lot of space and they don’t offer as much free exploration like previous Metroid games. I feel like I’m locked out of exploration at times. I also heard the music wasn’t anything special. Guess that’s good for us. :D

Other than that, fun game with fun combat(love the melee).

Slay the Spire is addicting once you fully get into it and really does keep you focused

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    28. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Big appreciator of the Castlevania series, although I've only ever played Castlevania 64 and Simon's Quest.

Completed the former six times, and it holds a treasured place in my heart. The latter I used to play on a friend's NES when I was, like, 6 years old, so I can't remember many of the details, except for the fact that: the villagers were all unhelpful b@st@rds, the soundtrack was phenomenal, and you were f*cked whether you went left or right.

The music throughout the entire series is magnificent, and I still listen to it sometimes, despite the inevitable spike I'll suffer.

I mentioned this to @kuromi a few months back, but I can't handle games like this anymore; I'm confined exclusively to TBSs now, because of a sort of PTSD as a hangover from the adrenalin fuelled days of my pre-stabilised tinnitus :LOL:

I mostly just play Pokémon and Worms now, when I need a distraction.

But speaking of putting skills to the test:

The hardest games I ever completed were Zelda and The Adventure of Link.

As a kid who had grown up with

-a SNES playing Super Mario World, Killer Instinct, F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country and the bloody Power Rangers! Then graduating to N64's Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, Snowboard Kids and (you know it) Pokémon Stadium! and finally plateauing at the most perfect gaming machine ever invented (imo) the Gamecube, with the titles Eternal Darkness, Timesplitters: Future Perfect, Twilight Princess, Soul Calibur 2 and the goddamn nightmare inducing Resident Evil (remake) (f*cking "Crimson Heads"? who came up with those pricks and why weren't they in any other game!?)-

I wasn't even slightly prepared for the sheer bastardy of these old Arcade to NES games.

Dungeons and pawn opponents as impossible as a boss in any modern videogame. And then the actual bosses...

Add to that, there was no way of properly saving your progress; once you were out you were practically back to square one.

If it hadn't been done in my pre-tinnitus days, it would never have been done at all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    29. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dude @Damocles. Everything you said about your gaming experience is basically me. The fact that you also played snowboarding kids... amazing. Are you my alter ego in the UK or something?

Those were the good times... I assume you were playing with a family member or friend when playing those games with featured multiplayer. Pokémon stadium 1 and 2 for instance had amazing mini games to play with people.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Yes @ZFire. It's me! ...I mean, you* ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
      HA HA! Yes, I have a lot of cousins, so them, and then I always had a friend at each stage of my life (primary school, secondary school, and college) who would pretty much spend entire weekends staying over at mine, competing and/or completing with me.

My first gaming friend didn't like to compete with me, and neither did I (with him), so we only ever helped each other beat single player and co-op games.

My second friend was an ultra competitive d*ck; he could make anything into a competition (including finding change on the floor at school... ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)). So we mostly played multiplayers against each other all through secondary. Mario Kart, Snowboard Kids and Goldeneye. We pretty much wanted to kill one another every weekend, thinking back, I don't think I'd call them "good times". Complicated feelings about that one. But I still loved the games.

Last friend was hilarious and didn't give a sh*t about anything. We'd literally be completing co-op mode on Time Splitters FP and when the missions were getting too difficult, I'd just turn around and start shooting him instead of the enemy; because if you can't beat them, join them. The guy would be so nonplussed I'd literally be on the floor crying with laughter while he just lazily started trying to shoot me back. Those were definitely good times.
      Mate, I totally remember these, as they were in fact, better than the game itself.

I played these (again) with my competitive friend in secondary, and he was f*cking adept with them Sandshrews at "Dig! Dig! Dig!". But I would beat the sh*t out of him when we played "Run Rattata Run".

Ironically my favourite person to play the mini-games with was my Mum.

I used to force her to play "Sushi Go Around" with me, and she'd basically have a breakdown. XD

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1