Favourite Video Games?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Danny Boy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Did you see the latest gameplay footage for RE4 Remake. It looks fire! Day 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Heikai
      No Mood

Heikai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, 2022 got worse
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Worsened in 2022 due to noise exposure.
      I may sound like a hipster based on my favorite games.

The Witness
      Beautiful non-linear puzzle game. It emphasizes nonverbal communication and it's very interesting what it manages to accomplish with that. It's a game about trying to understand the world. It's about observing and being attentive. There's so much detail and care put into everything.

Pathologic 2
      Deep, multilayered story and characters. Great writing. Real-time so you need to carefully decide how to spend your time. Everything you do has an opportunity cost. Time is a resource. Extremely fascinating and not easy to understand. Sticks to your mind.

SOMA
      Made me consider existential questions about personhood, life and death. Had very powerful moments. Meaningful. This may be personal. Other people can react differently.

Return of the Obra Dinn
      The best detective/murder mystery game ever made. You are actually the person who needs to make all the connections - not the main character. You are doing all the deducing. There are multiple ways to end up with the correct conclusions. The investigation is very free form. Don't try to brute force things unless you want to ruin the experience.

Rain World
      The AI behavior is my favorite thing. The creatures are independent AIs that are doing their own thing even when they are far away from your screen. They are roaming around the map and hunting each other, which creates unpredictable creature encounters. This keeps the game tense and makes the world feel alive.

• Like Like x 2
    3. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I did, and so far it looks extremely promising, but I hope they don't fuck it up like RE2 remake or RE3 remake. They were a huge disappointment for me so I'm cautiously optimistic. Have you played Village yet?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s worth playing, but not the greatest RE game. It belongs somewhere in the middle in terms of rankings. The game takes a lot of inspiration from RE4. The castle is the best part of this game as the survivor horror aspect is well done there. It becomes more action orientated as you progress. I prefer RE7 over it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      H2x1_NSwitchDS_ResidentEvil0_image1600w.jpg
      RE0 was easily my favourite of the whole series.

Most playable and best graphics (discounting the remakes, which brought all the games up to par) prior to the whole franchise losing it's suspenseful edge and spiralling into farcicality.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the original, but it was laughable after playing the remake, which was very necessary. And that's the problem, remakes shouldn't be necessary, but in RE's case they were; therefore, I gift the crown to RE0 for being the best looking and least difficult to play of the first five in the original story.

"Least difficult to play? But that's not a good thing". Well, by least difficult I mean I could actually complete this RE without resorting to a walkthrough guide (something I've never achieved on the first play of any other RE...).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      a38d42022458d96c90e79a65a9?rik=od4Vfm6tYCTiHg&riu=http%3a%2f%2ftorfiles.ru%2f_ld%2f14%2f69550362.jpg

This was such a good game.

Played it back in 2003 after a friend of mine from college uploaded it (along with Half-Life and Counter-Strike) to my first PC.

There was supposed to be a fourth instalment, but that's been overdue for just shy of seventeen years now, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just bought this game for dirt cheap. Looking forward to it since it has your seal of approval.

• Like Like x 1
    8. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played a few hours today. I’m really impressed so far. I’m still in the beginning (exploring the train), but I’m really liking how the level design utilizes that character switching mechanic between Rebecca and Billy. Rebeccas gets locked inside a room and you have to switch to Billy and find a way to help her escape. It brings an interesting dynamic to the gameplay I must say. What’s also cool is that each character have their own strengths and weaknesses. Rebecca can make herb medicines, but has weak defense. While on the other hand, Billy can’t make heals, but is very strong offensively with weapons. This is surprisingly good stuff. So far, I can see why you would consider this the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. TinnyCanMan
      Artistic

TinnyCanMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual Snow
      Goat Simulator 3 has to be one of the best video games ever created (it is great).

• Like Like x 1
    10. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      This is such a good question.

I'll be frank here and say there are a lot of games I have forfeited playing until the day my ears are healed (while being open to the possibility that that day may never come).

I can't deal with the music that comes out off my Nintendo Switch, so I play every game on mute.

For that reason I specifically choose my games based on whether I consider the music or SFX to be a crucial part of the gameplay experience or not (irrespective of genre).

For example, take Zelda (OOT, MM, WW, TP etc.): Adventure game. Every modern game in the franchise = brilliant. Music is integral to the entire series.

I will never bother to touch another Zelda game, so long as I cannot enjoy its beautiful music.

Persona: Turn based strategy, so music not required, right? Wrong. The music in this game is so good, it is seriously not worth playing if you can't turn it up to full volume.

Resident Evil: Try playing this without the alternation between the horrific soundtrack and deathly silences and you've conned yourself out of whatever money you paid for the experience. Not to mention you're toast when some zombie or licker springs out at you from a corner the fixed camera angle hasn't revealed.

Fall Guys: MMOPBRG (let's not even bother, it's basically Takeshi's Castle/Total Wipeout but as an online multiplayer game). Fun as f*ck (bad for if you suffer with anxiety). Is the music important? No. Boring and monotonous. The sounds the little fall guys make are cute though (shame the behaviour of the evil b@st@rds controlling them doesn't match up).

Mario Kart: Racing game. Best racing game ever (imo, besides Snowboard Kids). Music or SFX offering anything? Nope. Just turn that sucker down and focus on your driving/shooting.

Snowboard Kids on the other hand, don't ever bother to play this without blasting the music while you overtake one of your friends; or you won't overtake one of your friends (need that awesome music for the adrenaline rush).

Pokémon: Another turn based strategy. So the exception has become the rule? No! The music is terrible (so absolutely appalling in fact, you wonder why they bothered). Adds nothing to the gameplay.

Hence why, as a tinnitus sufferer: Pokémon, (in most cases) I choose you!

Anyway, I think you catch my drift. Like @Brian Newman and @ZFire said: in some cases SFX are going to be crucial for gameplay. As I have explained: in some cases game isn't going to be worth playing without its music (like watching a subtitled film/movie on mute).

As you rightly observed, for the most part, strategy and puzzle games are the least likely to feature enjoyable, complimentary music (but not always!).

So far I've stuck to the Pokémon franchise and also really enjoyed Fire Emblem: Three Houses, along with time-limited plays of Fall Guys (usually for about an hour before it starts stressing me).

However, now that I've seen this question, I'll be sure to add any games that are as good on mute as without when I find them. Good call @Ava Lugo.

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now I don’t want to brag, but I’m an absolute beast in Fall Guys. I consider myself an expert in platforming games (especially 3D platformers) so it makes sense why I’m a such GigaChad in this game. I’ve never lost the first round and always make it to the final round with good odds of winning the crown. Actually, me losing in the first round is absolutely unacceptable and if that were to happen (it never has), I will uninstall the game in complete disgust and slit my f#@king wrists.

The game is light work for me.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      tenor.gif

Okay, and I thought I was good at this game. Love carrying my team and winning a Hex-A-Gone final for them. Certainly haven't not been knocked out in the first round though. :bag:

I gotta say, the swagger in this post has me worried you might be a "grabber" @ZFire.

maxresdefault.jpg

And I have to warn you (although my skill level is dented right now: because not having played since August), I will hunt down and removers grabbers, full kamikaze style: with no concern for my own continuation in the game. One grab is all it takes, and my entire purpose for playing has completely changed.

I just dislike them that much.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, it’s always been in my nature to be an agent of chaos in multiplayer games, but surprisingly I’m not much of a grabber. Because I’m so godly in the first round, I sometimes wait by the finish line and have a grabfest party with the other Chads (who’ve made it to the end very quickly) before we head into the finish line. That’s the extent of my grabbing. I’m sure you’ve seen this type of behavior in the first round as well.
      Hey, I don’t blame you one bit lol. Being grabbed in the Jump showdown (final round) is so annoying and has screwed me over quite a few times.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Anyone in here hyped for the Resident Evil 4 remake that’s dropping in a couple of weeks?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hell yeah, I’m hyped. RE4 is one of the greatest video games ever made. I have too many good childhood memories with that game. Looking forward to seeing how they change it up with the remake.

I’m going to be trying out that chainsaw demo today. It was released a couple days ago.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Best game has to be F-Zero on the SNES!

A RG351P device certainly is a welcome distraction for gamers (retro especially) with the beasts of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Sure, I will probably play it later down the road but I loved the RE 2 remake.

18. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm excited but since i didn't like Resident Evil 2 remake as I thought it was too dark, and hated Mr. X or whatever on the first run since he was only available in the B stories. I'll wait til both Dead Space remake and Resident Evil 4 remake go down in price, trying not to read or watch anything about it so I'll go in blind.

19. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      I owned this when I was like 6 years old.

Couldn't make it past the jump on White Land II.

How Do I Make This Jump in White Land II?...

Must have tried a thousand times. Gave up in the end and refused to play the game again.

Had never thought about it until today, but apparently you were supposed to hold down the D-PAD and it accelerated your vehicle for jumps.
      Who knew...

Remember walking through Central London one day though, and some Slash lookalike playing the Big Blue theme on their guitar in the middle of the street, like so. ▼

F-ZERO - BIG BLUE || Metal Cover by RichaadEB

That was pretty cool.
      @ZFire, I always got the willies when I had to separate them. I wanted the AI player with me for the whole game to keep me company. :bag:

In any case, did you complete this yet?

I just finished Pokémon Shining Pearl, and managed to catch Palkia on the first throw of a quickball...

Ridiculous considering the difficulty I had catching Mesprit.

• Like Like x 2
    20. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So many good games coming out this year. 2023 is already shaping up to be one of the best years in gaming. We got:
      • Hogwarts Legacy (played it and it’s pretty good, the ultimate Harry Potter experience)
      • Hi Fi Rush
      • Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (played the demo, really good action RPG)
      • Metroid Prime Remastered
      • Octopath Traveler 2 (played the demo, top tier JRPG)
      • Resident Evil 4 Remake (GOTY contender based on the chainsaw demo)
      • Dead Island 2
      • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Fallen Order was great)
      • Street Fighter 6 (World Tour looks sick)
      • Diablo 4
      • FINAL FANTASY 16
      • Starfield (Any Elder Scrolls and Fallout fans here?)
      • Hades 2
      • Pikman 4
      • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (supposedly coming out this fall)
      And lastly, the one to rule them all:

EB15DBD8-5A21-4758-8367-0F9F0013A6CC.jpeg

The biggest disappointment thus far has been the gameplay reveal of Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. It’s a generic 3rd person shooter with lots of ‘games as a service’ (GaaS) hallmarks in it. Gearscore? Battlepass? Cosmetics? Mindlessly shooting purple colored weak spots on enemies? WTF. Rocksteady hasn’t made a mainline game in almost 8 years (Arkham Knight released in 2015) and this Suicide Squad game is really the best they could come out with after all these years?! Oh, how the mighty have fallen...
      So I tried out that RE4 chainsaw demo and honestly loved it. Leon has a lot more tools up his arsenal. You can parry enemy attacks with a knife. You can evade enemy grapples by crouching. Mastering these combat mechanics is going to be a lot of fun especially in the harder difficulties. It’s reviewing extremely well right this minute. I think this might be the one for you.

Totally forgot about the Dead Space Remake lol. I need to play that too as I was a big fan of it during the PS3/X360 generation. Man, wish I was a young kid again. I would have all the time in the world to play everything. If I had it my way, I would be doing 10-12 hour game sessions everyday. Nowadays, I have very little time to play anything.
      I haven’t played it since last I wrote that post. I got caught up with another game (God of War Ragnarok) at the time. I plan on completing it though. I remember taking on a huge ass scorpion as a boss fight. It whipped my behind the first two times lol.
      Nice. Haven’t got around to playing those remakes. Good on you for choosing Shining Pearl over Brilliant Diamond. I always did like Palkia over Dialga. It must have felt good catching Palkia on the first attempt lol. Love me some quickballs. Just look at this bad boy.

CB2141B8-FE43-4AEF-B9D2-BDCB42957370.png

The coolest looking Poké Ball design IMO. The high catch rate (in the first attempt) makes this ball a winner. I hear they’re completely overpowered in Pokémon Scarlet/Violet (latest Pokémon games). Because there are no random encounters in those games, you can catch Pokémons easily using quickballs until it succeeds. If the quickball falls in your first attempt, you simply run away from the battle and reengage in battle with the same Pokémon. The same Pokémon will still be visibly roaming around the open world. Rinse and repeat until the quick ball catch succeeds. I’m guessing that will be your next Pokémon game?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thinking about Resident Evil 2, I will go back now and finally clean up my remaining hardcore runs with Leon and Claire. Love the game, so much fun. I have all the other achievements except the HC runs.

• Like Like x 3
    22. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Resident Evil 0 ~ Scorpion Boss Fight with...

▲ Might help.

Thing is, Zero has some of the coolest bosses (design-wise) in the series. But somehow, they're a lot less difficult to defeat than bosses generally are in RE. Which is a good thing (if you ask me).
      This was in fact, down to you.

My first thought on release of Scarlet and Violet was: most guys are going to go with Scarlet.

So when you said you liked the look of Violet, I took a closer look at them, and I concluded that actually, I preferred the look of Miraidon to Koraidon, myself.

As a result, I then did the same when purchasing Diamond/Pearl. Studied both Palkia and Dialga, and concluded Palkia looked cooler.

So in short: your own unconventional preference had an influence on me.

In any other case I would just have chosen Diamond for its name alone (like most people).
      Yes, me too!

But I still wish Nintendo would just make it so you could catch a Pokémon by making it faint...

tenor.gif

Also, @ZFire-san: I deleted your post on my profile page (just because of the English only rule on Tinnitus Talk). But drop me that question whenever you want.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Damocles-senpai, holy crap. That knife only exploit against the scorpion is sick. Definitely trying it.

Honestly , both Miraidon and Koraidon have really cool art design. I like how their design reflects certain time periods—Koraidon has a prehistoric look, where as Miraidon has a more futuristic robotic look, plus it can transform into a motorcycle. You can’t go wrong with either.
      Oh good... you had me worry there for a moment. I was about to hit you with the "notice me senpai' meme. :cool:

1F4539F3-2E72-41D8-B838-075D426DE8A3.jpeg

66B9F3C3-F67A-4409-8B08-9FDDFFF540E8.jpeg

FBE1A37F-ADFA-4507-8225-775AF87DC594.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. noxyoursox
      Overworked

noxyoursox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm crying because it's true. T_T I've played every generation of Pokémon games except Scarlet/Violet and the music has just gotten so lackluster and unmemorable. The first 2 gens had great music--but my ears can't handle it anymore because of how grating some of the sounds are.

Minecraft actually has a subtitle option that alerts you to nearby sounds and their directions, which is really cool! It's not always reliable though and the directional information isn't as complete as what you'd get by hearing it.

Anyway, my favorite video games are Dark Cloud 2, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Pokémon X, Rune Factory 4, and Breath of the Wild. I play a TON of different games though, from NES through to modern triple A games.

• Like Like x 1
    25. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Finally got around to playing the Resident Evil 4 Remake. Almost done with it.

My review and how it compares to the original RE4:

IMG_2352.jpeg

@in_LA, how about you?

• Funny Funny x 2
    26. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have a few games that I'm currently playing, and don't know which game I'll pick up next. Resident Evil 4 remake, Villager or Dead Space remake. I'm actually really excited! Have you had a chance to play the new Dead Space?

• Like Like x 1
    27. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I loved playing Contra with my son. This was at least 30 plus years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    28. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Definitely Stardew Valley. It's such a relaxing game, perfect when you feel like your life is going to shit lmao.

bdd1639.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, but I’ve heard great things about the Dead Space remake. They’ve added a few new things like voice work for Issac (the protagonist) and also some good QoL stuff are in it. I played the original DS during the PS3/360 days and remember enjoying it a lot. Will play it when it’s cheaper. Games are crazy expensive now ($70!).

Definitely go with Resident Evil 4 though. I prefer the Island section a lot more in the remake than I did in the original. The OG is still GOAT though, but remake is mad fun and has excellent replay value. Just a complete all around package. Currently playing Resident Evil Zero (haven’t forgotten about it @Damocles!). I also really want to play Tears of the Kingdom and Final Fantasy 16. I just don’t have the time anymore lol.
      Okay, so I made it to the Training Facility section in RE0. Just fought some giant centipede looking fuck that snatches Rebecca. Wasn’t too hard, pump some shotgun lead up his ass.

Anyways, enjoying it so far. Really liking the puzzles in this one. Inventory management is starting to become a pain in the ass though. I’m having to drop some weapons and items on the ground as I don’t have enough space for both Rebecca and Billy anymore. Would be nice to have an item box storage, but it seems like it was a deliberate design decision not to include item boxes.
      Video games are a good form escapism in general :) I’ve heard really good things about Stardew Valley too. Brother played it, said it was the best farming game he’s ever played. Might give it a look at some point, kinda craving some farming action myself. I enjoy those never ending games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons. That was my jam during COVID-19 times.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Wolfka
      Loved

Wolfka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ENT says it was stress
      I started playing World of Warcraft 16 years ago and still playing it almost everyday. Sometimes I think it's my safe space.

IMG_6088.png

• Like Like x 1