Favourite Video Games?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Danny Boy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      I'm requesting we change the title of this thread from Favourite Video Games? to Favourite Polygynists?

I'll kick it off (after the change).

pol.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts/drums/headphones/shooting/acoustic trauma
      Haha, that is some dedication. I think the best I did was something like lvl 93 fletching. Who knows, maybe I bought some of your million yew logs? :cool:
      No X3? :eek:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now playing: Live A Live (Switch)

RPG by Square originally released exclusively in japan in 1994 for the Super Famicom. Here it is remade in the same beautiful art style as Octopath Traveler (they call it HD-2D) with added voice overs.

It's a really interesting and unique game where you play through seven short stories that takes place in everything from prehistoric times to the distant future, and all of them are supposed to be connected somehow at the end.

When it comes to gameplay I can't say that I'm too impressed. It's a lot of running around looking for the right person to talk too and the battles are all on the easy side, so far at least. But it is very charming and beautiful to look at and I'm curious to see where it will lead.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. zingting

zingting Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear syringing/ worsened by ototoxic eardrops
      Before I got tinnitus, I spent last Christmas playing and finishing Crosscode, an obscure game, but it's really damn good and surprisingly long. I was 61 hours in when I finished the game. Crosscode has to be my favourite out of all the RPGs I've played. The puzzles are surprisingly complex, the combat is challenging but rewarding, and the game is always throwing new things at you, even late into the game.

• Like Like x 3
    5. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Mega man X3 is pretty forgettable. It being sandwiched between X, X2, and X4 has something to do with it. It feels like a chore to play at times.
      • Game isn’t really balanced early game. You can die from like two attacks.
      • Poor level design and enemy placements.
      • Playing as Zero is pretty much pointless. You can't fight bosses, can't pick upgrades and has only 1 life. X4 handled Zero way better.
      • X's buster upgrade is a downgrade.
      • Weak soundtrack. Barely had any memorable music (Zeros theme).
      • The game looks uglier than the previous games. Zero’s body proportions are way off. Look at how chunky he is compared to something like X4.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fair points.

I've only played X2 and X3 once, and I did it back to back so they are like one unit in my memory. Will replay some day.

Have you played anything after X4? From what I've seen I don't think I will bother.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup, I’ve played all the way up to X7. Let’s just say, you’d be saving yourself a great deal of time by not playing them. They are not worth your time. I hear X8 is decent though, but I was done with the series at that point. Mega Man X games got stale much quicker than the classic mega man games.

Mega Man 9 is the one to rule them all. Pretty much perfect.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They got it just right with the first Mega Man X I think. The difficulty and flow of the game is perfect.

I've only ever beaten the second one of the classic games. I bought 1 - 4 many years ago, but the Yellow Devil in the first game made me rage quit, haha.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You’re absolutely right about X1. They set the bar so high with that game, none came close to achieving X1’s feats.

If you can beat the Yellow Devil without using that pause exploit (using elec man’s ability), then you’re a gaming god. I use that exploit every time or else I’ll smash my controller in rage with no regard for hyperacusis or potential tinnitus spikes.

Kidding about the baby rage of course.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I still resent SquareSoft for not bringing Front Mission to the SNES in the 90s, it looked so cool, even if I'm not into tactical stuff.
      Megaman x was the shit, you start out so weak and Zero saves your ass, but what an amazing feel that was when you power up and beat the boss that kills Zero.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      Tiny Tina's wonderlands, but it's a bit too easy, got that whimsical side to it though.

A little off topic but how do you guys do your sound for your gaming? I got a little Bluetooth speaker and put the volume down low. But since most of the games are shooters, I'm now wondering if they are exacerbating my tinnitus. I know sharp fast impulse sounds are really bad for us. I have it turned down low enough so if I play Warzone I can never hear someone sneaking up behind me and always get killed.

Still how bad is the sound from these games for you guys? What do you do to protect your ears? Obviously no headphones.

12. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      It seems most games put you in an imaginary post apocalyptic world and arm you with a high powered machine gun which never runs out of ammo. You are given a goal - or not - and have to blast your way from one place to the next accumulating points etc - there are options to pay for special features. The game where a woman is running through the street knocking out guys one at a time looks sort of interesting.

My brother plays Destiny 2 - I looked at it on a YouTube vid and the gamer seems to be saying it takes 1 week to learn all the objectives and get used to the gameplay etc.

My ex-wife used to spend hours playing Farmville and Supermodel (yeah I know, my fault) - looked so boring and like a worn down pencil - pointless.

Good luck to you guys - glad I'm not a gamer. I left that all behind the 80s - Asteroids, Missile Command, Pole Position.

13. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Why play that kind of game when the Ukraine war is going on? There's the possibility to play for real! :confused:

By the way, I am not a gamer either... I stopped playing a long time ago and probably the last game I played was "Quake". And my favourites were always simple games (old!) like Tetris, Pang, Bubble Bobble, Sonic etc... and even those did not keep my attention for long... it's all sort of repetitive.

14. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I tried a tank game recently on my mobile - just out of interest. Got bored in a couple of minutes.

Just one confession - I do have retro asteroids on my mobile - probably the best and most satisfying shoot 'em up game I have ever played.

• Like Like x 1
    15. CW Dragon
      Conehead

CW Dragon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impulse Noise
      Always enjoyed playing CS:GO and Dead by Daylight. I occasionally play Rust but really only because of a friend (play player vs environment server) since I'm not that good at multiplayer games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. DBT
      Lucky

DBT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely noise exposure
      I've been playing a game called Snowrunner for a while. It's kind of relaxing to drive trucks through rough conditions.

17. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      No love (or even a ranking) for Resident Evil 0?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. CW Dragon
      Conehead

CW Dragon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impulse Noise
      Tank Control Resident Evils > all.

I remember playing the first one and just going around killing zombies (without doing the puzzles), then watching Jill/Chris death scenes, then resetting and starting all over again.

• Like Like x 2
    19. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can’t rank a game that I’ve haven’t played yet. Is it worth playing? Rebecca’s my least favorite S.T.A.R.S member though. o_O

Looking back at my rankings now, I made a huge blunder. Resident Evil 1 Remake has to be in the top 5 of best Resident Evil games of all time. Must have been sleep posting when I wrote that list. Resident Evil 6 is still the worst one by far though.

• Like Like x 1
    20. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      It's okay I guess, very much in the Tank Control style of the older games, just a bit forgettable. Still worth playing though.

Resident Evil 6 is indeed absolute nonsense. No idea why they went in that direction with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Currently playing through Horizon Forbidden West. Pretty fun game.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice! It’s a great game. Not sure if I like it better than Zero Dawn though, story was next level in that one.

Btw, just in case you didn’t’ know, you can remove tinnitus sounds in the accessibility options menu. You can also trim the volume down by a few decibels to your liking as well.

1951B90B-C262-4AD5-833D-BD102F1C2A21.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. BrOKeN_1

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice. I'll have to play around with it. Generally I've been playing with dialogue up and SFX down or off. I like to play Alan Walker radio from Spotify for ambience. EDM/lo-fi hip-hop fit well with this game in my opinion. Been a hot minute since I played Horizon Zero Dawn so it's a tough comparison. So far they've did a great job with the voice over. I'm maybe halfway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      Flash bangs on Call of Duty is what kicked off my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. BrOKeN_1

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know about kicked off... but I know I've taken my share. I got way to addicted to COD and PUBG for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Just finished Forbidden West, it was fun but the game is too bloated, and upgrading weapons is a pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I agree 100% with that man. It felt like I was playing Monster Hunter at times with all the grinding you needed to do to collect machine parts to upgrade weapons and gear. Story was a step down too IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      Love that game. The composer and I used to talk about music regularly not long after I first developed tinnitus, and his insight has definitely impacted how I approach music since then. Playing the game once it came out was a wonderful experience, the dungeons are the perfect mix of puzzle and action in my opinion, and the game doesn't require too much level grinding to progress through the story. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Zelda or top-down action games.

I've been enjoying Splatoon 3 which just came out. Splatoon 2 basically saved my life when my tinnitus spiked really bad in 2018. There's something special about this series.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Bro absolutely, hunting the machine parts was insane, i probably spent 30 percent of my time just hunting for those. I just finished the game, and the end was ok comparing to the last game. I'm definitely not looking forward to the next one. Now I'm playing FF VII remake on PS5.

• Winner Winner x 1
    30. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Bro Resident Evil 0 is awesome but not as memorable as Resident Evil 1 remake though.

• Winner Winner x 1