Gabapentin (Neurontin)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jeff M., Jan 17, 2014.

1. grate_biff
      Alone

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma and or benzo withdrawal
      None. The muscles are there to protect the ear from loud noise exposure. I will lose that so I have to be even more careful to loud noise over time. They won't help with short duration noise like gunshots etc. anyway and that is what is dangerous to our ears.

2. Shizune
      Terrified

Shizune Member

Tinnitus Since:
      H: 6/2020 T: 7/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemical exposure, made worse with benzo withdrawal
      I was just prescribed this by my psych. The ototoxicity does worry me quite a bit, but I'm seeing successes too. I'm really on the fence of whether to take this.

3. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      So my dog just passed away and it had unused Gabapentin. Who thinks I should take it and see if it helps my hyperacusis pain? Hyperacusis is kicking my ass right now along with facial pain.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      How long after you took the first pill did you notice the effects?

5. grate_biff
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was probably the benzo I took on Friday that did it and not the Gabapentin. I tried the same a week later, without the benzo, and it did nothing really.

Sorry for the misinterpretation on my part.

6. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      That’s disappointing. Well I stole my dead dog's Gabapentin, so I guess I’ll see what happens. A lot of other people said they did well on it for pain hyperacusis.

7. grate_biff
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where did you hear that?

8. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      If you look up “Gabapentin” in hyperacusis groups on Facebook and just the internet, you’ll see a lot of anecdotal evidence that Gabapentin was helpful to them. It doesn’t help everyone obviously but too many people have seen benefit for me to think it’s placebo.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence in the various groups of different meds that have helped people with hyperacusis. They’re mostly meds prescribed for nerve pain. I’ve done a lot of research on this in the groups.

9. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      So I took a 600mg pill and not much happened. I think it did have some positive impact on the facial pain but it could’ve been placebo.

Tomorrow I’m going to take 1200mg and see what happens.

Fortunately I haven’t had a spike as a result of the Gabapentin. I’m hoping that this can be the panacea but we’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Update: I took 1200 mgs today and noticed some pretty interesting side effects, they include: suicide idealization, drowsiness and strange feelings in my hands. I can see why they wean people up on this stuff. Too bad I’m an inpatient fuck.

That said, still no obvious ototoxic effects. In fact, I think it does help the ear pain but I’m still not sure yet if it actually helps the pain or if it’s just the drowsiness making feel that way. I think it might lower my tinnitus but my tinnitus is usually very low, so it’s hard to tell (my main issue is hyperacusis, my tinnitus is mostly a non factor).

In addition, I definitely see an anti anxiety effect of the drug. It’s not as strong as phenibut but it’s definitely there.

I plan to continue on with Gabapentin. I’m not sure yet if I’m going to up my dosage tomorrow or do 1200 mg a second day. I’ll decide tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. grate_biff
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for reporting your experience.

Just be careful of duration. They say you can be hooked (according to people on Facebook groups) if taking it regularly for 14-21 days.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Midas
      Bookworm

Midas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      From this article:

"Next Allan described a fascinating experiment in mice, illustrating a potential approach to targeting one of the contributors to neuropathic pain: the loss of inhibitory signaling. In this approach the missing GABAergic neurons are replaced by transplanting embryonic GABAergic precursors into the spinal cord. Then, GABAergic nerve transplantation was tried in humans and they “took.” Back to mice, the transplanted neurons spread around the cord and integrated into its central nervous system. Further, the transplants were able to reduce induced pain of complex regional pain syndrome—suggesting a repair of the central nervous system."

WOW.

I have had severe tinnitus and hyperacusis for 30 months. After 2 weeks of GABA supplements (natural) I felt very good but had to quit because of side effects. Of course you can never be 100% sure it was because of GABA.
      I'm recovering from a setback and want to try it again.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    14. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Day 3 update:

Still feeling the suicide idealization but I’m no longer drowsy. In fact I’m hyper af. I could run a marathon right now. I’m also super fucking horny, like I’ve busted a nut five times today, I usually do that many in a week, my libido and energy in general are sky high. The limited cognitive impairment is fine.

Now to the ear stuff. Still no obvious ototoxic effects. Thankfully. I think the Gabapentin might be helping. I really do. Like not dramatically. It’s not like I’m normal but I do think I’m tolerating some sounds better. Tinnitus is the same.

The anti anxiety effects are very prominent now. I’m very sociable and relaxed and just want to talk to people.

I’m debating if I want to continue at this dose tomorrow or titrate upward.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There is a lot of literature on Gabapentin. Actually the use of this drug is discussed by Oliver Sacks in his book Musicophilia, dealing with severe cases of hearing damage, brain damage, hyperacusis, and lots of combinations of hearing problems...

The conclusion I get from that book, and other articles I read, is that Gabapentin does not work for many people, and some people have an improvement or brief relief from symptoms, most of them just temporarily (symptoms reappear after a while)... so mixed results basically.

16. Marin

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/18/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL... probably previous noise exposure, too
      @Midas Would you mind sharing what those side effects were? I’ve thought about taking GABA supplements multiple times, but I’m kinda scared because I can be pretty sensitive to vitamins and medications.

17. NewLionel

NewLionel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      headphones
      What are the natural GABA supplements?

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

destroy all creatures. they cannot be regenerated.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just posted this in the Klonopin thread

The combination of these drugs does something neither does on its own. I'd experimented with gabapentin up to 900mg before going back on Klonopin, but when I reduce the GHabapentin back to 300mg the tinnitus gets more shrill and intolerable within some number of days.

I don't think any of this is an especially good idea, but neither is being suicidally miserable half the time.

There really aren't any that work; best bet is a balanced diet plus behavioral things shown in repeatable studies to increase GABA signaling and/or decrease the size of the amygdala (meditation, yoga, etc). You need to be eating pretty well so you have all your essential proteins and also vitamins and the various things you need to biosynthesize cofactors, but, ultimately, getting GABA into synapses is something your body needs to figure out on its own if you're not going for a heavy drug cocktail.

You can eat all the GABA you want; it will impact your GI system a bit, but very very little if any of it will make it into the brain. Getting substances which are rapidly metabolized or the wrong size/shape, to cross the blood brain barrier is a difficult problem; if not for this, all kinds of junk from your bloodstream would get into your break and do Bad Things.

• Helpful Helpful x 1