Gabapentin (Neurontin)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jeff M., Jan 17, 2014.

1. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      How long after you took the first pill did you notice the effects?

2. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      It was probably the benzo I took on Friday that did it and not the Gabapentin. I tried the same a week later, without the benzo, and it did nothing really.

Sorry for the misinterpretation on my part.

3. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      That’s disappointing. Well I stole my dead dog's Gabapentin, so I guess I’ll see what happens. A lot of other people said they did well on it for pain hyperacusis.

4. grate_biff
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where did you hear that?

5. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      If you look up “Gabapentin” in hyperacusis groups on Facebook and just the internet, you’ll see a lot of anecdotal evidence that Gabapentin was helpful to them. It doesn’t help everyone obviously but too many people have seen benefit for me to think it’s placebo.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence in the various groups of different meds that have helped people with hyperacusis. They’re mostly meds prescribed for nerve pain. I’ve done a lot of research on this in the groups.

6. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      So I took a 600mg pill and not much happened. I think it did have some positive impact on the facial pain but it could’ve been placebo.

Tomorrow I’m going to take 1200mg and see what happens.

Fortunately I haven’t had a spike as a result of the Gabapentin. I’m hoping that this can be the panacea but we’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Update: I took 1200 mgs today and noticed some pretty interesting side effects, they include: suicide idealization, drowsiness and strange feelings in my hands. I can see why they wean people up on this stuff. Too bad I’m an inpatient fuck.

That said, still no obvious ototoxic effects. In fact, I think it does help the ear pain but I’m still not sure yet if it actually helps the pain or if it’s just the drowsiness making feel that way. I think it might lower my tinnitus but my tinnitus is usually very low, so it’s hard to tell (my main issue is hyperacusis, my tinnitus is mostly a non factor).

In addition, I definitely see an anti anxiety effect of the drug. It’s not as strong as phenibut but it’s definitely there.

I plan to continue on with Gabapentin. I’m not sure yet if I’m going to up my dosage tomorrow or do 1200 mg a second day. I’ll decide tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. grate_biff
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for reporting your experience.

Just be careful of duration. They say you can be hooked (according to people on Facebook groups) if taking it regularly for 14-21 days.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Midas
      Bookworm

Midas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      From this article:

"Next Allan described a fascinating experiment in mice, illustrating a potential approach to targeting one of the contributors to neuropathic pain: the loss of inhibitory signaling. In this approach the missing GABAergic neurons are replaced by transplanting embryonic GABAergic precursors into the spinal cord. Then, GABAergic nerve transplantation was tried in humans and they “took.” Back to mice, the transplanted neurons spread around the cord and integrated into its central nervous system. Further, the transplants were able to reduce induced pain of complex regional pain syndrome—suggesting a repair of the central nervous system."

WOW.

I have had severe tinnitus and hyperacusis for 30 months. After 2 weeks of GABA supplements (natural) I felt very good but had to quit because of side effects. Of course you can never be 100% sure it was because of GABA.
      I'm recovering from a setback and want to try it again.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Day 3 update:

Still feeling the suicide idealization but I’m no longer drowsy. In fact I’m hyper af. I could run a marathon right now. I’m also super fucking horny, like I’ve busted a nut five times today, I usually do that many in a week, my libido and energy in general are sky high. The limited cognitive impairment is fine.

Now to the ear stuff. Still no obvious ototoxic effects. Thankfully. I think the Gabapentin might be helping. I really do. Like not dramatically. It’s not like I’m normal but I do think I’m tolerating some sounds better. Tinnitus is the same.

The anti anxiety effects are very prominent now. I’m very sociable and relaxed and just want to talk to people.

I’m debating if I want to continue at this dose tomorrow or titrate upward.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There is a lot of literature on Gabapentin. Actually the use of this drug is discussed by Oliver Sacks in his book Musicophilia, dealing with severe cases of hearing damage, brain damage, hyperacusis, and lots of combinations of hearing problems...

The conclusion I get from that book, and other articles I read, is that Gabapentin does not work for many people, and some people have an improvement or brief relief from symptoms, most of them just temporarily (symptoms reappear after a while)... so mixed results basically.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    13. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      @Midas Would you mind sharing what those side effects were? I’ve thought about taking GABA supplements multiple times, but I’m kinda scared because I can be pretty sensitive to vitamins and medications.

14. NewLionel

NewLionel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      headphones
      What are the natural GABA supplements?

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just posted this in the Klonopin thread

The combination of these drugs does something neither does on its own. I'd experimented with gabapentin up to 900mg before going back on Klonopin, but when I reduce the GHabapentin back to 300mg the tinnitus gets more shrill and intolerable within some number of days.

I don't think any of this is an especially good idea, but neither is being suicidally miserable half the time.

There really aren't any that work; best bet is a balanced diet plus behavioral things shown in repeatable studies to increase GABA signaling and/or decrease the size of the amygdala (meditation, yoga, etc). You need to be eating pretty well so you have all your essential proteins and also vitamins and the various things you need to biosynthesize cofactors, but, ultimately, getting GABA into synapses is something your body needs to figure out on its own if you're not going for a heavy drug cocktail.

You can eat all the GABA you want; it will impact your GI system a bit, but very very little if any of it will make it into the brain. Getting substances which are rapidly metabolized or the wrong size/shape, to cross the blood brain barrier is a difficult problem; if not for this, all kinds of junk from your bloodstream would get into your break and do Bad Things.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    16. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      @linearb this post really resonated with me. Why did you mention reducing the size of the amygdala? I developed hyperacusis a couple of months after my father committed suicide. The whole event left me very traumatized and I’ve since read that people with PTSD have enlarged amygdala. Do you think there’s a link? I’ve also read that amygdala, once enlarged, cannot shrink back to their previous size, but what you are saying suggests otherwise.

17. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I don't know where you read that -- the amygdala, like many brain regions, will change in size with brain function

Meditation and yoga practice are associated with smaller right amygdala volume: the Rotterdam study

Mindfulness meditation training alters stress-related amygdala resting state functional connectivity: a randomized controlled trial

Impact of short- and long-term mindfulness meditation training on amygdala reactivity to emotional stimuli

Meditation-induced neuroplastic changes in amygdala activity during negative affective processing

There's plenty of hard data that this stuff works, and you'll be very hard pressed to find anyone who has put, say, 3-500 hours into a meditation or yoga practice with some decent instruction, who doesn't think it "does stuff" that they find beneficial. There's some obvious problems with that observation: it's incredibly difficult to rack up that amount of hours in general, especially if you're starting in a stressed-out state.

However, I have found that people who are completely dismissive of all this tend to be both completely out of touch with the large wealth of peer-reviewed data behind it, as well as basically inexperienced. Some people will attempt meditation with no formal teaching, make it 10-15 hours in and realize it's making them feel "worse" (which is pretty normal, since often we're suppressing a lot of things constantly and it's painful when they start to surface) -- and then decide "oh, this is dumb, this doesn't work". That same person might have a completely different experience, if they could bond with someone that can talk them through the rough spots. At some point usually there's some kind of light-goes-on moment, but, it can be elusive, and learning theses skills from a state of distress is very difficult.

There's a reason that cultures where these things are/were valued tended to try to instill them at birth, more or less -- and there's a reason I do (short) meditation 5x a week with my small child. Wiring that stuff in at a base level is incredible; as adults, we just have to blunder into it the best we can, and be patient because our brains are slower to change. They're still changing all the time, though, very slightly in response to every thought we have.

I'm better at writing about meditating than actually doing it, and I'd say I have some hundreds of hours of experience, but not thousands. I know we have a few other people around here with really extensive experience -- or, people who have come through here.

There's a stark difference in the way tinnitus and other serious problems are discussed on fairly hardcore meditation forums, vs on health forums, because the demographic of people on serious meditation forums mostly have hundreds or thousands of hours of experience just watching their mind, and people like that are inherently in a better situation to withstand some random bullshit condition their body decides to develop. That's also something that's been demonstrated clinically using imaging studies :)

• Like Like x 1
    18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Did you check your Vitamin D levels?

It is an important vitamin for hearing issues...

19. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I was low on vitamin D so now take a supplement every day.

20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It has recently been published that a lack of vitamin D can be associated to a higher risk of getting COVID-19.

21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes; they were actually low at one point and I took supplemental D for quite a while (and still do, one and off, depending on sun exposure) -- but bringing my levels to normal didn't have any impact on my hearing :dunno:

22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I was reading about COVID-19 and incidentally found a mention to lower vitamin D levels as an additional risk factor to getting COVID-19, and they mentioned the drug Hidroferol to fix it. Have you tried Hidroferol, or are using some other supplement?

23. Syb
      Pensive

Syb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss & possibly a neck / C spine issue?
      Well, reading this long list of potentially ototoxic drugs did nothing to reassure me considering I've been taking a few on this list for a few years on a daily basis...

* Pregabalin, 150mg (4 years)
      * Cetirizine, 10-20mg (2 years)
      * Celebrex, on and off, 100-200mg (4 years)
      * Propranolol, 40mg (3 years) (was it on the list?)

I've had tinnitus way before I started taking any of those, and no recent change in medication other than Pulmicort capsules mixed to sinus rinse could explain the recent increase in my tinnitus symptoms, but... makes me wonder. I hope I'm not going to make things worse for me in the long run. I need most of these medications to manage occipital neuralgia, migraines and allergic rhinitis.

Wish I'd known... although, I wasn't functional at all pain-wise without Pregabalin. :'(

Makes we wonder if I should stop the Cetirizine and switch to a safer antihistamine...

24. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I got tinnitus on April 1st. I already suffered from anxiety etc. You can find my full story in my Introduction thread.

Within a few days of getting tinnitus my anxiety sky rocketed. My doctor gave me 10 mg of Buspar and 200 mg of Gabapentin. He prescribed the Gabapentin off-label for anxiety.

I didn't see much of a difference as my tinnitus was new, but at the time it was 10/10.

A week later he upped the dosage to 20 mg of Buspar and 400 mg of Gabapentin. I noticed my tinnitus spikes went down and overall my tinnitus went from 10/10 to 6/10. I still have some spikes.

After increasing my dosage 3 days later I noticed a huge head pressure and slight nose bleed.I called my neuro and psychiatrist and they said to go the ER and get an MRI. Interestingly the head pressure only lasted 2 hours. That day I moved some boxes out of my van and prayed with my head down. I am not sure if that has anything do with it. Regardless the head pressure hasn't come back.

The Gabapentin and Buspar have brought my anxiety down from 10/10 to about 6/10 and same with tinnitus compared to what I was initially experiencing the first couple of days.

My new neuro also just prescribed me 300 mg of Trileptal which I am running by my psychiatrist to make sure there is there is no interactions.

Gabapentin also reduced the nerve pain I was having in my leg.

25. Linari5

Linari5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      300 mg a day, meaning 100 mg 3x a day? Or just a single dose?

26. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos + Gabapentin is my daily routine and remains substantially useful.

Gabapentin by itself doesn't do much.

The withdrawal insomnia from Gabapentin is worse than benzos and to be quite honest Gabapentin alarms me more than benzos do.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I took Gabapentin for 3 days (100 mg) and it made my tinnitus skyrocket. Went back down a few days after discontinuing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. Ultra
      Depressed

Ultra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had nearly a month's course of Gabapentin prescribed by an ENT. No effect. Then another month's course of Carbamazepine, and it probably even made things a little worse.

I'm seeing the ENT next week, but I think we've run out of things to try...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have been on Neurontin for three times in the past. I think once for "here and there" use (100 mg to 200 mg a day), another time where I was on it for 3 weeks (100 mg a day) and another time I took it for probably around a month or so. I think I took somewhere around 300 mg a day. I was able to get off it very easily.

Would it be safe to use again certain nights at a dose of 100 mg? Would there be any danger of "kindling"?

Also, I have a bunch of Neurontin pills that expired around 2 years ago. Would they still be safe to take? I mean would they hurt me?

Thanks for any help.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    30. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I think that there really are some indications that Gabapentin could actually work for some types of tinnitus.

Here is a recent example:
      New onset tinnitus in the absence of hearing changes following COVID-19 infection

A study from some years back:
      Short-Term Effect of Gabapentin on Subjective Tinnitus in Acoustic Trauma Patients

There's also indication of it being regenerative:
      A common drug could help restore limb function after spinal cord injury

What are your thoughts? I might consider trying it for 4-6 weeks.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1