General Anaesthetic

Discussion in 'Support' started by click, Mar 23, 2013.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I can't find the relevant thread.

Anyone who has had an op with a general anaesthetic whilst they have had T ... could you please let me know whether it affected your tinnitus?

Thanks

Click

2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Good question click!

Sorry, but have not had a op during my adventure with tinnitus! Would be interested though in what someone else said about it.

I do know a doctor that had a procedure in the brain done and he still had tinnitus after it along with balance problems due to the surgery.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks Calin.

Has anyone had an op with a general? Someone must have?? Only have a couple of weeks to go and looking for reassurance :cautious:

4. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I think I was just sedated , no side effects, just a nice sleep!

5. Dolly
      Asleep

Dolly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi I had occasional tinnitus prior to having general anaesthetic to have a BAHA fitted since that operation I have tinnitus 24/7

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks Dolly & Karen. I'm really surprised that so few people have had a general since getting T.

Hopefully I won't be in the forum very much in future. I cancelled my teeth op because I didn't want to upset the status quo... my T is really not much of a problem anymore unless I eat something that I shouldn't so I'm moving on and trying to forget about it. It's been just a year and it's had my attention for too long ;)

I'll be back if it gets worse though! This forum is a life saver - thank you Markku x

• Like Like x 3
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Click --- That is great news! We have really enjoyed having you here, but glad you are able to move on. I think that may show that intermittent tinnitus could be a precursor to calmer tinnitus. What do you think?

I'm glad you're one of the lucky ones, and hope it continues to be calm for you. Thank you for letting us know, and not just disappearing from the forum! Very best wishes, Karen:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      That is great news click! I am happy for you.

I will miss you ....

Do come back and check in every once in a while.

Ditto Karen's post!!

10. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Click... before you go.. have you figured out why your T is almost non-existent?

11. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Good luck:)! Hope you never need this board again, but saying "hi" once in a while is OK.

Take Care!!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Well I managed about 10 days but I'm buzzing and I'm back....

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Click,
      Sorry you're buzzing again! Did you have the op with the general anesthesia yet?

Do you have any idea what might have caused your T to flare up again?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hiya Karen - thanks.

No, I cancelled the wisdom teeth op. Found out in time that anaesthetics really can affect tinnitus. The hospital wasn't surprised either - which says a lot.

Not sure but I am suspecting bananas or gammon at the moment for the current screechiness. I also took 2 paracetamol (what you call acetaminophen) at the weekend... what on earth do people take for a headache that they can be sure won't affect their T?

15. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I take nothing. I just cope with it and manage and the next day, after a nights sleep, it's gone anyway.
      I stay away from medication as much as I can.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Calin,

I think it's completely down to diet for me. I'm not taking any supplements except a very natural form of vitamin C (crushed berries basically). If I keep my diet really simple and stick to just eggs, fillet steak, nuts, roasted sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, fresh pineapple & a few other tried & tested things (all organic) then my T seems to stay low.

I ate gammon at the weekend and I'm pretty sure that this, in addition to having had more bananas than usual through the week, caused a spike in my T from Saturday ... which is still there now.

God it's annoying!

Click

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Do you work LOTR? It's hard to concentrate with both T and a headache when you're working. I don't take any drugs normally but I do need something for the odd headache... which is caused by the tinnitus... otherwise I achieve very little.

18. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      LOTR? Yeah, I work, 5 days a week, from 8AM till usually 6-7PM.

19. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      So what does that tell you? Your tinnitus is caused by something you ate? Your brain and neurons are influenced by what you eat? The right food (for you) gets your stress level down?

I pretty sure I have damaged hair cells in the clochea, so it doesn't really matter what I eat, that I smoke, what I drink. Mine is just influenced by low level rumbling sounds.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It tells me that my T stays low if I avoid certain foods - don't ask me why... I stopped trying to figure that out months ago - you can drive yourself crazy.

Nothing to do with stress levels though. I've had pretty major stressful times since T onset and it doesn't affect it at all.

I suppose that there are many types of tinnitus and then there are many different types of brains... so we're going to have differences in the way things affect us.

Pleased for you though - that food doesn't affect the severity of your T.

(LOTR because I can't be bothered to type Lord of the Ring... toooo long & head buzzing :cautious: )

21. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Click -
      I had to look up what "gammon" is. I had never heard of this type of meat before. Is it the same as ham?

Sorry to hear that you are back in the dungeon with us. I'm sure you will get back to feeling better. At least your T seems to fluctuate.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks Karl. I'm waiting for the fluctuation... and really hoping that it will change back to what it was.

Gammon is like bacon but it's a joint... most of us over here eat it with slices of pineapple. You can't get anything similar in France either. Maybe it's a British thing.

I missed u all anyway :p

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      gammon-and-glazes.jpg

Gammon for Karl

24. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Which is funny, since I learned the word gammon derives from the Old Northern French word jambe for hind-leg of the pig. Oh well, even the national anthem 'God Save The Queen' seems to originate from something French ;)

25. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mahdi,
      As promised, I'm updating this thread on my experience with general anesthesia and tinnitus. I had dental surgery this morning, and was administered general anesthesia, in the form of "twilight sleep", where you are still in a somewhat conscious state, but calm, relaxed, and almost dozing.

I recovered fairly quickly from the anesthesia today. How did it affect my tinnitus? Well, the good news is it didn't make it any worse. The bad news is, it didn't make it any better, either.

So, for those considering general anesthesia for a procedure, I would say "go for it". However, it didn't improve my tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
    26. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Friend of friend, have had T for 20 years. And 2 years ago he had a bile surgery in Sweden (where he lives), of course in full general anesthesia. And guess what was hapened, since that day after 20 y. he got silence in the head.
      How? I do not understand...because of anesthesia or resolved bile problem...who knows...

• Like Like x 1
    27. Mahdi
      No Mood

Mahdi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Thank you, Karen for sharing that experience. But I always wanted to know how an extremely deep unconsciousness would affect Tinnitus. Shouldn't general anesthesia feel like a very deep sleep and and unconsciousness? Maybe I'm wrong about understanding this term. Please, if someone has had or knows someone else has had their Tinnitus affected in any way by deep unconsciousness, let us know about it. After more than 12 years of suffering, my all aspects of life paralyzed and I'm really at my wits end and need a miracle to survive.............. Please, share your seen or heard experiences and information.
      May God SOS. (I doubt it)

28. Mahdi
      No Mood

Mahdi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I wish you could tell us what type of Tinnitus specifically that salvaged friend had. Could you please get some info about his Tinnitus. Info as whether it was noise- induced, drug-induced, high-pitched or low-pitched, suddenly inflicted or incurred over an extensive period and questions like these?
      Thanks,

29. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      All I know is that he had classic buzzing for a years and years. I will try to find more information about that case, but can not promisse. Because I do not know that person personaly, have to ask friend to contact him in Sweden. If a get a closer informations I will definetly tell u everything I found out!
      PS. Mahdi, be strong, I know that is a phrase, but you have to be!

• Like Like x 1
    30. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, Mahdi,
      Do please be strong!

A further clarification of my anesthesia; I was not in a fully unconscious state. I think oral surgeons like to use "twilight sleep", because their patients come out of the anesthesia faster, and with less chance of feeling sick afterward. They didn't explain before the surgery that I was going to have this lighter form of anesthesia.

I'd like to hear the experiences of other people who may have undergone full anesthesia, and how it affected their tinnitus.

As for me, I have another problem today: My face is very swollen on the side of my dental surgery. At least it might take my mind off the tinnitus for a little while!

Anyone else out there who would like to share their anesthesia experiences?

• Like Like x 1