General Anaesthetic

Discussion in 'Support' started by KelsterB, Jun 16, 2016.

1. KelsterB

KelsterB Member

Hi all.
      Just after some support really. I have had T permanently since last October. Had a very difficult time for a long time with it but am coping now. Still have a breakdown every couple months though. I predominantly have it in my right ear but suffer with it in my left at least twice a week. It is quite loud in right majority of time.
      Anyway I a due a laparoscopy next week and am feeling anxiety over whether the General anaesthetic with make my T even louder or change the frequency. People I have spoken to with T says it never affected theirs but I'm still thinking the worst.
      Can anyone give me any positive info?? Or personal experiences?
      Many thanks in advance.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I went on fine with my ears with both of my opperations ....lots of love glynis

3. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Short periods on most drugs are safe for T. Since getting T, I've taken 1250mg aspirin at once (ototoxic) ibuprofen (ototoxic) and wellbutrin (VERY VERY ototoxic) quite regularly, and had no significant change. You'll be fine as long as you don't plan on staying under for a week, haha

The only kind of drug I'd ever feel unsafe taking with T is a member of the -platin family of chemo drugs (for instance, cisplatin). They're immediately and violently ototoxic, and can destroy ears in people with no T.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KelsterB

KelsterB Member

Ok thank you both. I'm
      Only down for 45-60 mins methinks but still scary as I am still a bit of a newbie at not yet at my one year point. Think it's just nerves. I hope so anyway!
      Thank you x

5. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Please don't stress. I had to have a general anesthetic about a year ago for some testing and it didn't made one ounce of difference to my T.

I did a lot of research on the specific anestetics they would be using and had a good chat to the anesthetist and as predicted, no change after the general.

You will be fine

• Like Like x 1
    6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ive had iv propofol and nitrous oxide gas since onset of t. The iv propofol lowered my t for a few hours as did the nitrous. No problems.

I did what Amelia did...researched..talked openly about my concerns with my anaesthetist .. so we came up with a plan..

You will be totally fine

Let us know how you get on ...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I may be veering off topic here, but is wellburin really "very very ototoxic"? It's not listed as being ototoxic.
      I do have a theory that wellbutrin and other drugs that mess with your brain chemistry can affect the way the brain reacts to hearing loss thus making tinnitus more likely to develop following noise trauma.

8. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @KelsterB

How did it go? Were you ok? Let us know please.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KelsterB

KelsterB Member

So sorry, haven't been on here for a while. All was good, no change at all.
      However, currently I am experiencing a real spike in my tinnitus It's so loud and I do not know why. It's sooooo hard living with this debilitating noise