Hearing Protection and Tinnitus: Keep The Tiny Hair Cells Safe — Discuss!

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This is really confusing me...
      • Example, the tool and hearing protector discussed above: 100 dB - 25dB = 75 dB at the ear.

• For professional applications, when the noise level is known in dB(A), OSHA advises that the NRR be reduced by 7 dB:

• Example: 100dB(A) - (25 - 7)dB = 82dB at the ear.

• OSHA may also require a 50% reduction of the NRR after the above reduction:
      • Example: 100dB - (25 - 7) x 0.5 = 91dB at the ear.
      elvex.com/FAQ.htm#Hearing%20Protection

EPA Requirement: The only law (passed by the U.S. Congress) regulating how to use the NRR, is actually the EPA labeling regulation, dating back to 1981. This law directs the user to deduct the NRR from the noise level at hand, in order to get the noise level at the ear. That is pretty straightforward: Noise level [98 dB] minus Hearing Protector NRR [25 dB] = Noise at the Ear, 73 dB.

OSHA’s Field Manual: Although OSHA has no legislative authority, the agency has in its field manual directed their inspectors to use the following formula for how to apply the NRR.
      • If noise measurements are made with the dB(A) scale, the following formula applies. (Noise level [98 dB] minus NRR divided by 2 [25 dB minus 7 dB divided by 2] = Noise level at ear, 89dB).
      • If the noise level measurements are made with the dB(C) scale, this formula applies. (Noise level [98 dB] minus NRR divided by two [25 dB divided by 2] = Noise level at ear, 85.5 dB).
      • Although OSHA has only enforcement authority, their interpretation has held up in court. OSHA only recommends that the 50% safety factor is applied. Realize that if a company runs an effective hearing conservation program, they are not likely to be challenged. An effective hearing conservation program can be defined as a program that assures that no new permanent and noise induced hearing losses occur among its employees.
      NIOSH, Criteria for a Recommended Standard, Occupational Noise Exposure, June 1999: NIOSH recommends that Subject Fit data in accordance with ANSI S12.6-1997 be used. (To our knowledge no U.S. manufacturer has made "Subject fit" test data available). NIOSH recommends the following de-rating of hearing protector NRR’s, if subject fit data is not available.
      • Earmuffs, Subtract 25% from the manufacturer’s labeled NRR
      • Formable earplugs, Subtract 50% from the manufacturer’s labeled NRR
      • All other earplugs, Subtract 70% from the manufacturer’s labeled NRR
      The above de-ratings apply only when the noise measurement was made with a dB(C) scale. When only a dB(A) scale measurement is available, the de-rated NRR’s should be reduced by seven dB. Observe that earmuffs require the lowest de-rating.

Conflicting Information about How to Use the NRR

2. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sorry for the long post above. What I´m wondering is, how do You actually interpret the the -dBs or NRR numbers when planinng your protection with ear plugs?

3. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      i think there is a difference between noises that damage hearing to noise that can permanently increase tinnitus, i slammed a car bonnet shut, i doubt i have lost any hearing from the noise, but it has permanently increased my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Like what?

5. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Slamming a car bonnet, That wouldn't have caused hearing loss, but it has increased my tinnitus a lot.

6. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      If you guys are getting custom made molded earplugs, something i haven't tried yet but i guess would work is ask for just the mold and buy the filters online at thomann :

Elacin Ear Protection Filter 25 - Thomann France

They sell filters at 77€, and audiologists usually sell filters around 100€ so it's a good deal

I've bought the 25db so that i have the choice between 17db and 25db :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Am I using the ear plugs correctly? How far do you place them? Seems like the ones I am using are not blocking all the loudness. Sure does make me hear my T louder , of course.

8. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A question I have is how far do you insert the triple flange, musicians type, little tree type earplugs?
      If you insert them simple by pushing them in, it doesn't seem to block out that much noise. Alternatively you can pull back the top of your ear and the earplugs go a lot further in, where it seems to much noise is blocked, which one is right?

9. RevMarine
      Musical

RevMarine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/10/2013
      The last one, you need to push it into your ear canal like IEMs. It's a little uncomfortable but it makes a big difference. I was running my first gig with them today and it turned what my phone was rating 75-85dB in to something a lot better (My ones state a 20dB reduction and that sounds about right). Not sure how they'll hold out when I see Amon Amarth or Testament but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

10. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      it does seem like they are in too far like that, very uncomfortable, blocks to much sound, being filter plugs everything seems to low. when i just push them into my ear the earplugs are not sticking out of my ear, the last rivet of the triple flanges is past my outer ear which feel comfortable. i don't know?

11. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      karol you should stop wearing ear plugs at all times because you can develop hyperacusis. this has been discussed several times in the forum.

if u were earplugs in the street you will never get used to normal sounds.

i think that earplugs should be worn only in gigs and really noisy places.

• Useful Useful x 1
    12. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you Epin, i worry about that problem too, but i just cant risk a spike, i´m so frightened about that... i´m so confused!!!!

13. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I often wonder if it's possible to have such ear plugs / hearing aids that would let in all the normal sounds but block out the loud noises. I'm guessing the only way that would work is if it had some sort of a microphone / speaker combo, so much like a hearing aid.

14. Dan Turner
      Transparent

Dan Turner Member

Tinnitus Since:

Look up Hearos Hi Fidelity ear plugs for musicians. Most of the guys & gals in the orchestra that get blasted by musicians seated behind them keep them plugged in. They hear it all, but the plugs damp out the impact type of noise and ultra blasts from horns, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I also found something more high tech, a SecureEar hearing aid from Siemens:
      http://hearing.siemens.com/Global/en/products/hearing-protection/hearing-protection.html

ju.jpg

It's marketed as a hearing protection device suitable for hunters and such, that amplifies quiet noises and suppresses loud noises like gunshots (up to 35 dB).
      So something like this might make it perfect for us tinnitus sufferers that want to avoid loud noises but don't want to risk hyperacusis.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      These sound perfect to me... i would love some, thanks for the post LeQuack.

• Like Like x 1
    17. RevMarine
      Musical

RevMarine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/10/2013
      I take it you're using something like these (which I personally use). If you haven't, try the smaller version, which may be more comfortable. I'll add they may be slightly uncomfortable when they're in, so if that bothers you it would be best to look into some custom protection.

18. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Unfotunately they don't seem to be cheap, around 500 USD for a pair. Maybe someone can find them cheaper?
      http://cheapearplugstore.com/product/siemens-secureear-digital-shooter-plugs

The advantage is they mold it according to your ear shape so they should fit perfectly. I also think they have a volume knob so that's always handy.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hello guys! I have a question. I am supposed to go to work o Saturday. Since the fire alarm occasionally goes on (never happened to me but I guess this Saturday it could go by the laws of Murphy) I would probably benefit from some kind of just-in-case and easily applicable solution. Do you think sticking earplugs in the ears would take too much time and I should obtain some sort of headphones?

20. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I have a pair of ER20 earplugs that are on a string, got them from Amazon at a fairly reasonable price. You can wear them around your neck so they are close in case you need them.

They make those alarms stupidly loud.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's probably quicker to just use your fingers in case a fire alarm goes off.

"An effective, although inelegant and inconvenient solution, is to put our fingers in our ears, which essentially creates about a 25-dB hearing protector." (Quote from here)

22. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yes. I also realize that. But I am responsible for switching the alarm off and it would be quite difficult to do that with fingers in my ear:D

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Do you need two hands to switch off the alarm?

If one hand is enough, then...

Did you ever need immediate and brief hearing protection with only one hand free? Reach over your head with
      your free hand to use a finger to block the opposite ear while lifting the shoulder of that same arm to press against
      and seal the ear that it naturally contacts.

:beeranimation:

But Steve's suggestion is good, earplugs with a lanyard.

24. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thats actually a very good suggestion and could probably be used! But I will also buy some plugs just in case. thank you!

25. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You could also snap some ear defenders around your neck or put them on your working desk. As soon as the fire alarm goes off you can put them on in less than 5 sec much faster then inserting ear plugs and you still have both your hands for turning the alarm off. Plus there is no risk you might have inserted the plugs wrong or an ear plug falls out

26. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      I agree with seal. The fire alarms in my office premise went off on Monday whilst I was waiting for the lift. I only had one free hand to plug one of my ears depending where the alarm was. There was one at every corner and needless to say, the ringing went up and didn't back off. I was devastated and am traumatized because I thought that was a low blow. I just ordered a pair of ear muffs from Amazon. Never am I going to be caught in the same situation again. :mad:

Do you think the volume would go down to my usual level or that's it?

27. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I also thought about those big ear defenders but unfortunately in my city they only sell them in a place a little bit outside the city. I do not have the possibility to buy them in the following two days and I dont want to take any risks. Ill try to find a suitable pair of those during the next week. I guess I will have to start to carry a big purse full of various ear protections with me all the time :D
      Im sorry to hear for your accident, shan. Ordering the ear muffs was probably a good idea. I have heard that it is useful to stay in the quiet for the next days. I think it could go down - maybe you just need some time.

28. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      The ER20 can both go in together, they aren't normal foam plugs that you have to prepare first. You can literally have them in your ears and protecting you in a couple of seconds.

They let sound in much more naturally too so I find that I don't get the same fullness in my ears after using them that I do with foam plugs.
      er20.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    29. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I also have an other question! Im going to the hairdressers on Friday and I know she will use a hairdryer. Should I wear earplugs there as well or is it safe?

30. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Good hint, thank you:) Do you have the link to the Amazon page where you ordered them from?