Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Carry on the good work! It's important someone presses them on it. It smells fishy. Also how they seem to not have any real two-sided connection with the pharma company, saying "we have not yet heard..."

Can you imagine Frequency Therapeutics or Otonomy being this unprofessional or disjointed? Justin De Moss probably writes his responses in his bedroom on his iPad. Hough Ear Institute desperately needs to be clearer in their messaging. The vagueness and discrepancies hurt them.

2. Mica Rambin

Mica Rambin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL
      Sounds like we may also need to contact the biotech firm to get more answers about the progression of these studies. I understand that both Hough Ear Institute and Oblato need to be careful about what they communicate with us for legal purposes. I just hope they don’t play hot potato between each other as we ask them questions. As I said before more frequent communication from them would improve public confidence. They should try to upload a YouTube video on their channel every week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      There is something very off-putting about the way they worded this response.

Their defensive attitude and lack of any self-awareness is remarkable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      The issue is in no way related to what Oblato is doing at this stage but rather completely related to what Hough Ear Institute is doing. It appears that Hough Ear Institute is directing what is happening with the proof of concept study and not Oblato.

Obviously we know that Hough Ear Institute has told us that Oblato needs this data in order to determine whether to conduct a trial for tinnitus, however Hough Ear Institute won't submit this until they have now gotten the full funding that they supposedly need to finish the work with the study.

We simply know that Hough Ear Institute has said something one day and then contradicted or changed this another day. The study completion time frame is definitely a good example of something Hough Ear Institute has said which is contradictory.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Follow Up Question:
      Reply from Hough Ear Institute:

6. frpp

frpp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj, Nihl, ototoxic drugs, nerve/ vascular issues
      Trash company.

7. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      This is about NAC/HPN-07 which is the same thing as the pill treatment being investigated by Hough Ear Institute.

In light of the prevalence and multi-site manifestations of blast-induced histopathological abnormalities, it is remarkable that NAC/HPN-07-treatment significantly normalized the aberrant biomarker expression patterns in the auditory system, suggesting that this treatment strategy can reduce, or perhaps reverse, both primary neurodegeneration and excitotoxic trauma in cochleae and prevent or attenuate maladaptive neural plasticity in central auditory pathways.

Link:
      Electrophysiological assessment and pharmacological treatment of blast-induced tinnitus

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
    8. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      This is their pill properties being tested in lab, probably as a part of the proof of concept study that they are doing.

9. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/sml2163?lang=en&region=US

$318.00/25 mg, at least 21,000 mg required for a human dosing. So $267,120 to do this on your own.

10. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
    11. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They are nice enough to come to this site. That's more than could be said for other entities.

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Just hypothetically.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      So like, assuming an optimistic future where the Hough Ear Institute Pill goes through clinical trials and such and gets on market, is a course of treatment going to be prohibitively expensive like this?

I don't understand the economics behind pharma, so I assume there's some method for greatly reducing that price, but how much so? Because that figure right there is just... yikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Definitely. It'd probably be like $4k. They get bulk deals & negotiations, I suppose it's a lot cheaper to mass produce a drug.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      They have quoted that the treatment cost would be about the cost of a hearing aid.

At this stage, I think that would be a reasonable and plausible price point. We do not know exactly where that price point sits since it could be the cost of an expensive one (so $5K) or a cheap one (so $1K). It definitely won't be anywhere near the cost of what @weab00 noted of $267,120 or whatever it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In the meantime, hop on over to this thread and take 3 minutes to email the American Tinnitus Association and ask them to use their recently received $2.7M bequest on funding research instead of call lines.

Call to Action: Contact the ATA Right Now — 3 Minutes to Make a Difference

The more paths for treatment, the more affordable it can be!

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Sam99
      No Mood

Sam99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma/Loud noise for 3 hours straight.
      @weab00 was calculating price according to the price of HPN-07 on Sigma-Aldrich. It's not surprising considering they are notoriously known for their absurd pricing, I read somewhere they add up to 60x markup and even more on the chemicals they sell.

So it will be much cheaper, although it will cost several thousands still.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Sam99
      No Mood

Sam99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma/Loud noise for 3 hours straight.
      I am not sure if this was posted before or not.

This paper suggests that cochlear synaptopathy is more likely responsible for generation of tinnitus and hyperacusis rather than the death of sensory hearing cells.

If that's the case then Hough Ear Institute's Pill or OTO-413 are more likely to reduce or eliminate tinnitus & hyperacusis than FX-322, at least in those with normal audiograms.

@FGG

Is noise-induced cochlear neuropathy key to the generation of hyperacusis or tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It's not one thing. If it was always cochlear synaptopathy, hydrops wouldn't cause tinnitus. Neither would middle ear disease.

Anything that interferes with the hearing signal will cause "phantom cochlea" i.e. tinnitus.

It's not one structure.

But cochlear synaptopathy is probably the most common cause in noise induced because the synapses are more sensitive to noise but it's not the only cause and a lot of people will have mixed hair cell loss and synaptopathy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    20. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      Mass producing, making something widely available, would normally reduce the price significantly, especially if an item is highly produced by multiple manufacturers (therefore reducing manufacturing price by competition) and sold by multiple companies (therefore reducing sales price by competition.) The less unique something is, the less valuable it is. If everyone competes for the demand & value of the item, then it's eventually everywhere and worth a lot less over time, and brand recognized value becomes more crucial. This is why you'd find brands selling the exact same item from the same Chinese manufacturer on Amazon, but the brands with the largest recognition (therefore largest presumed trustworthiness) selling at a higher price... even if other sellers are selling the same thing for cheap.

Unfortunately, the drug industry is not as simple, because (as far as I understand it) patents/IP laws AND government regulation can determine the availability and price of a product, so it's hard for me to say.

• Like Like x 2
    21. reggie green
      Balanced

reggie green Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      Hs anyone done a follow up with Hough Ear Institute? They seem quiet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Probably going the way of Audion lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. wwtsai
      Assassinator

wwtsai Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild (2016) Bothersome (8/20)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Someone on the Hough Ear Institute Facebook page asked a week ago and got the following response:

"Rest assured that we're working hard to get treatments to the clinic! FDA approval takes time though, so hold on to hope! Our pill is in the planning stage of phase 2 trials and the injection is in earlier phases. We won't stop until there are viable options for those who are suffering."
      Thing is, on their webpage, they state that they need to conduct a proof of concept study before going into Phase 2 clinicals for tinnitus. Does that mean they've already conducted the proof of concept study? They could also be referring to Phase 2 for hearing loss as that is a different indication.

24. reggie green
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      Huh, what do you mean?

25. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      Hough Ear Institute is nothing but a scam... Why talk about them...

26. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Hopefully not. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      ...Their pill isn't even on the market yet. I think it's quite too early to call it that, especially since they really are trying and want to get government approval and funding.

• Like Like x 3
    28. reggie green
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      I gave Hough Ear Institute a call. I spoke to a recording. No one called back. I don't know. Mmmmh.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hough Ear Institute is not a scam. I've emailed tons with them. I think they're a non-profit without the financial backing like Frequency Therapeutics has, and so their moves take much longer. As annoying as it is. At least it's not as retarded as that University of Michigan thing with Dr. Susan Shore. That is blatantly stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I spoke to these guys today. They said it will be one or two years before the injectable drug starts clinical trials.

• Informative Informative x 4