Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      This gives further guide that this treatment is a synapse treatment. This is not surprising that Hough Ear Institute cannot disclose the method of measuring as it is going to compromise the trial then.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Either they use some brain scanning like qEEG or they managed to find a way to diagnose damaged synapses. I can't think of anything else they could have discovered.

3. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      There is apparently also a way you can measure the loudness of the tinnitus from what I have been told. The tinnitus testing mechanism would be interesting to know more about, however if it is just a synapse medicine and synapse regrowth improves tinnitus then it is possible that you would be able to determine if people’s tinnitus improved if you simply regrew the synapses.

4. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I’m wondering whether this drug or any synapse drug will have a positive effect on the Vestibular system as well. If they repair nerve endings wouldn’t that affect this area as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Do you think diagnostics of tinnitus and cochlear synaptopathy Hough Ear Institute speaks about could be based on electrocochleography? Does any of you have experience with it?

6. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      It may certainly have a positive effect as the ears do have an influence on balance too. There are investigations into treatments for the vestibular system also being undertaken.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Was there ever any clarity provided on this topic? I had the same thought.

8. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Justin from Hough Ear Institute clarified this. He said it was an unexpected finding (possibly off target effect).

• Informative Informative x 2
    9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Screenshot_20201116-225121_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Oblato, what’s going on? Where’s the clinical trial? Are we waiting for COVID-19 to sweep through? Other companies are moving forward with pace I might add. Let me hear the COVID-19 excuse.Pull the trigger and make something happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. twa
      Fine

twa Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      This would be a miracle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I think the bullshit is starting to show now. When companies can still continue to carry on with clinical trials, Hough Ear Institute and Oblato are using COVID-19 as an excuse for not starting. Definitely something fishy is going on.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    13. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Otonomy and Frequency Therapeutics are going to beat Hough Ear Institute. They're shooting themselves in the foot.

• Agree Agree x 4
    14. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      To be fair and out of interest, aren’t Hough Ear Institute currently conducting the proof of concept study which they have stated should be finished within 6-12 months of starting it (March-September next year)?

The discussion and debate around whether Hough Ear Institute needs to or actually should be conducting this study before instigating phase two trials is a completely different issue however.
      I actually agree with this comment. If synapses truly have a significant connection with the cause of tinnitus, then those companies currently organizing clinical trials like Otonomy are going to be well ahead of the game if their treatment relieves tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      That’s correct, and that’s why I’m mentioning Oblato. They’re running the trial. Why aren’t they calling the shots and changing parameters if need be? If the drug is safe and sitting on the shelf there’s only one way to find out if it works.

I also don’t understand the insurance coverage business, I don’t care if it costs a million dollars a pill. If a billionaire in America bought a working pill, the US will eventually figure a way to get it to people and it will expand from there. The VA hands 5 grand hearing aids out like candy, thankfully. We’re talking about worrying about the price of the car before we even know if it drives. What’s it worth in its current non-trialed state?

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      This has been discussed before but basically something seems fishy with what Hough Ear Institute is doing with the pill. It's pretty clear that they seem to be the ones directing what happens with the pill and not Oblato. One thing we know is Hough Ear Institute have not been transparent when it comes to explaining what is happening with the pill and why they need to do the proof of concept study. Seems that at least they have sped stuff up by starting the study now when prior to this they said it wouldn’t be done until the study was funded entirely.

Essentially I reckon that the trials will start a lot sooner than they previously claimed, however Hough Ear Institute really need to be a lot more transparent. It explains why they struggled to gain the required funding for the study.

• Agree Agree x 6
    17. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Agree. I’d be much more likely to donate to them if they answered the questions we have.

18. FGG
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      To be fair, if their test subjects were cochlear implant recipients (i.e. using the pill to mitigate implantation trauma as was suggested for one of the trials) then COVID-19 would create a much bigger delay since these are surgical candidates and couldn't be recruited and treated at outpatient ENT practices like Frequency Therapeutics and Otonomy can.

It's apples and oranges.

I find the fact that they are having a bigger COVID-19 delay than others not spurious at all.

19. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      The vagueness from Hough Ear Institute continues. Currently they have more donation requests plastered on their Facebook page persistently over the last few days with the current message being about “Giving Tuesday”and “veterans”, while not mentioning the fact that this this study has already commenced and is underway.

It appears that the key difference between Hough Ear Institute and the others is that Hough Ear Institute is content with fundraising and nothing else. Essentially I reckon Hough Ear Institute are starting to realise that they aren’t as individual in the treatment that they are claiming to offer. Their lack of transparency is amazing and even if this pill is successful, I do not trust them compared to most other organisations in this space either.

Even if this pill is successful, I don’t view Hough Ear Institute as being a very credible and/or transparent organisation with what they are doing. It does seem that every time they say they have come up with something wonderful like being able to measure tinnitus, it turns out that this is a widely identified thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    20. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Didn’t Justin De Moss put to bed the claim that the trial was being done on Cochlear Implant recipients and that the indication or indications that the pill was going to be tested for actually had not been chosen yet either?

Essentially this is exactly the sort of thing that tends to raise issues around transparency when it comes to what Hough Ear Institute is doing. We know they are conducting the Proof of Concept study now, however we don’t know what they are doing when it comes to the trial process.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. FGG
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      He said recently that they weren't completely sure yet but there was a point when they were at least planning for that indication as being a quicker route, which clearly it would not be at this point.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    22. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I just received another email about donating to Hough Ear Institute. It does ask to donate, however it doesn’t tell you what they are actually doing. Definitely poor transparency.

• Agree Agree x 4
    23. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I’m looking at the total timeline of this drug coming to market... How many years? 15-20?

The coordination between the ENT, the surgeon, the cochlear implant candidate, the paperwork, the trial exclusion... You could see this thing moving like burnt molasses.

If Oblato stands to make money from its success, I don’t understand why they don’t make some changes to their plan, if they have one.

I also wonder if Hough Ear Institute can motivate them to adjust or at the least have them post something on their plan.

I’m not donating to a plan I deem a cluster.

• Agree Agree x 3
    24. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      After the various different emails I received today that were requesting me to donate with case studies attached and no information linked to what Hough Ear Institute was going to be engaging in, I am also agreeing with you on your unwillingness/lack of desire to contribute. Currently I am willing to give Hough Ear Institute until September to complete their proof of concept study before I call it a bust and/or raise questions with what is happening, however I agree with you and I don't see what Hough Ear Institute are aiming to achieve without actually outlining a plan.

Problem is that at the moment it seems that Hough Ear Institute is the one calling the shots on what is happening and Oblato hasn't actually said anything at all. Therefore I feel that the concerns and questions around what is happening can consequently be directed to Hough Ear Institute. After all this is the same organisation which stated that the proof of concept study couldn't be done until they got the full funding for it and now out of the blue it was started last September and will now take 6-12 months to do. I hope Oblato is the body putting pressure on Hough Ear Institute to get things done and that the trials proceed pretty promptly after the completion of the study.

Somebody or something has had to have made Hough Ear Institute shift their course in regards to their progress and also their processes on the pill.

That is unless Hough Ear Institute has simply been lying about matters such as the need to obtain full funding all along.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      2027 is too long for me. Other stuff will definitely be out before then.

• Agree Agree x 4
    26. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Hough Ear Institute is definitely going down the Susan Shore path of vagueness and delays without giving a reason.

Right now I think our best hope is having Oblato actually telling them to get a move on if it is the case that the treatment is successful because Oblato doesn’t want to lose out on sales.

• Agree Agree x 4
    27. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Another email newsletter from Hough Ear Institute talking about their pill in a generic and vague manner and also again asking for donations without telling us what they are for.

For me, the most interesting thing is that they tend to not say anything about what they are doing or what the funding is going to get used for. Maybe if they started stating what they are doing and explaining the process(es) in detail then we might see more being willing to actually help out. I also am actually finding it interesting that they have moved away from their statement that they need to gain $55,000 or whatever it was to fund the pill's study.

This is really starting to demonstrate the questionable and dodgy nature of what they are doing to try to get others to fund their commercial medicine research.

I think I'll certainly pass for now.

https://houghear.org/an-a-pill-ing-solution/

https://support.houghear.org/campaign/give-hope/c312955

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. ActorFred

ActorFred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage
      Hough Ear Institute are taking their sweet ass time!

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Hough Ear Institute's ship has sailed. Long live Otonomy.

• Agree Agree x 7
    30. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      It's good to have multiple modalities if possible.

• Agree Agree x 3