I'm Sorry, Everyone. I'm Not Weak and This Isn't Suicide, There Was No Other Way to Hear Silence.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jemina, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Jemina
      Caffeine

Jemina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity and probably cumulative noise exposure
      I'll keep this short.

I've had tinnitus for 6 months. And hyperacusis. My tinnitus is very severe, I can hear it over everything. It's the loudest thing ever. There's no escape, and it just keeps getting worse. No matter what I do. I loved life, I had the most caring and loving girlfriend, everything was fine, I was happy, really loved life a lot. Peace and quiet, movies, reading books, taking naps, nature. Etc.

This motherfucker has taken everything away from me. My girlfriend tries her best to support me. I keep trying to enjoy life. But I can't enjoy reading anymore. Taking naps. Exercising. Going for a walk. How could I enjoy it when all I hear is this terrible monster roaring in my head??

Tinnitus is the worst nightmare, living hell! I'm not religious but this is literally Hell's soundtrack with Satan and all his *** little demons playing it, invading our heads, tormenting us! Making perfectly healthy, strong minded individuals just empty shells, emotional wrecks... Everything was fine before this son of a *** ruined my life, my health, my peace and quiet!

I'd rip off my ears if that meant I would no longer hear tinnitus! But no, this disease worse than cancer has invaded my brain, my whole auditory system, no escape!! Damn this all! Severing the auditory nerve, cutting off my ears, being deaf wouldn't make a difference, it would only get WORSE!

This is not life anymore! This is some f** up Satan's game, and there's no way out... The only way out of this nightmare is ending it all. It's the only cure. I can't wait for treatments that won't even fix this...

Maybe in next life, I'll hear silence again!

Stay strong, everyone! I hope you guys can fight this monster, don't give up. This was too much for me, there are so many people, including me, who lose their lives because of tinnitus... No one warns about this hell, until it's too late. I can't remember a single warning about noise causing permanent, severe tinnitus. We are told about hearing loss etc. And "loud noise can damage your hearing".. what about "prolonged noise exposure, or ototoxic meds, or neck injury, for example, can cause permanent severe ringing in ears!!!"???!! I see so many teens abusing their ears, listening to music way too loud, but most people don't even know what tinnitus is!!!

• Hug Hug x 25
      • Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I know you said this but I hope it's okay if I ask, are you aware of Neuromod? It's an Irish company, is releasing a new device for tinnitus in certain European countries next year, not sure when it's coming to the US but they are pursuing FDA approval. You can check the thread out here, Steve recently did an interview with them. It's not a cure, though it has cured tinnitus in some patients, they made clear that it doesn't help everyone but it could be the first medical treatment for tinnitus.

I've read other stories by people saying their tinnitus and hyperacusis got better within the first two years, sometimes it faded over time, sometimes it improved suddenly. I completely understand how you feel... But I would beg you to try to hold on for another year, just to see if it improves on its own.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      This is possibly not true.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I'm sorry @Jemina. I hope you'll hang on a little longer.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Jemina - My experience of Tinnitus is just like yours - louder than anything, unmaskabke, total shit, I ‘Fuckingwell’ despise it !!!
      And yet I live in a family of utterly delightful people, whom I cannot bear the thought of distressing.
      So I continue living with, and coping with my own distress.
      Then there are my three adorable pussycats.
      I promise them every day that I will always be here to take care of them.
      How could I let them down?
      Much as I despise this condition, and despise the perpetrator that caused it, I go on meditating, practicing deep relaxation (even though I live in noise), and looking for things I can still enjoy, wherever possible.
      I feel so much love for you Jemina, and all of us that truly suffer,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Sometimes it’s more supportive and caring just to let people go than hold them in agonising torture. I’m so sorry Jemima that it comes to this for so many of us and the world is almost entirely unaware of our huge suffering. I hope you find peace.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I want nothing more to embrace you during this horrible, relentless time. And tell you all will be fine and heal you. But we know that cannot happen and to give relief is near impossible. I agree with Bam, I hope you find peace, wherever that is.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    8. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you people deluded? She's had T for only 6 months! It could still heal up and get significantly better, possibly even completely resolving. Even if it didn't, her perception of ever increasing T volume is simply untreated hyperacusis!

You all (the folks advocating suicide) should be ashamed of yourselves....

@Jemina Please seek out professional help for your depression and hyperacusis, you might even make a FULL recovery! I implore you not to listen to these folks, there's hope for you, I promise.

Best wishes,
      Ross

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 3
    9. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jemina I had a friend who had it for a year and it has now gone away completely. I collected a large volume of stories of it going after longer than a year. I will message them to you and anyone else who wants them. @Bam and @Red ...............is it right to say that to someone who has had this only 6 months??? I don't think so

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Only 6 months? Tinnitus can improve over time!

• Agree Agree x 9
    11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yup, me too. It's been almost 3 years now.
      You've only had it for 6 months, so it's still in its fairly volatile phase... statistically it is supposed to get better in time. Of course, you could be part of the minority that doesn't get any better, but you won't know unless you give it time.

In addition to this, there is finally some tangible progress from the medical front. Other posters have given you links.

You list "ototoxicity" as cause of your T. Can you elaborate?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Don't suicide, it is too permanent. Give yourself a little time, perhaps it will lower in volume, perhaps you'll habituate, perhaps it will go away, perhaps there will be a cure... You just never know.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    13. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      Please don't! 6 months is early. Tinnitus changes. You are still in the early phase. Give yourself let's say two years at least. Then check Tinnitus level and treatments again.
      Your dark thoughts right now are a lie. It's not going to stay like this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      @Bam @Red

Sorry but what????? She's in for six months! Everything is still possible! I'm so sick of the self pity shown in these posts. Sorry but this is so horrible.

• Agree Agree x 6
    15. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Jemina Im so very sorry that you’ve been dragged into this horror show too. I’m actually just discussing with @Blue28 how unbelievable this condition is to endure and how very cruel it is. This is some sick joke that I hope gets fixed soon!!! Hugs J.... keep talking..... xxx

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      @Jemina this is such a shock to the system and I totally understand your despair. People here care and understand the suffering we're all going through. We are here to listen to and support each other. I too have severe tinnitus and hyperacusis, it was caused by an ENT procedure. If it wasn't for the kind support of people on this forum, especially @Vicki14, I don't know where I'd be today. Please stay strong x

• Hug Hug x 5
    17. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Ditto @Blue28. We’re all here for each other as only those can understand the true depths of desperation and despair this can cause x

• Hug Hug x 4
    18. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I never ever advocated suicide. I simply read Jemima’s post, digested what she was saying, and respected her words and her decision.....She’s had enough. Simple as that.

All too often on here people don’t actually listen. They read someone else’s words and then just stamp their own agenda all over it with zero respect for the posters feelings or intentions.

And that’s what this boils down to people ....respect. She’s not asking for a patronising pep talk and some rehashed statistics about what may or may not happen. She’s an intelligent woman, not a delusional mad person. She knows what she’s facing and she’s weighed it up and from her words it’s very clear she is sick of this shit and all its taken from her and doesn’t want to do it anymore. I fully and unequivocally understand her.

It’s her choice people. And how dare anyone call her or me or anyone else delusional for calling time on living with what is the most hateful and disgusting invasion of anyone’s once peaceful life.

Of course she might change her mind. But how can any of you tell her it’s going to get better? When she’s already told you its got worse. Which is certainly what I’ve experienced too. Not just the noise but the total loss of dignity and quality of life.

Of course it would be great if everyone got better but that’s a fantasy people. A delusional fantasy. We don’t even know what the chances are. It’s all completely anecdotal and unknown and I’m afraid as things stand and @Red and I quite rightly agreed....the best you wish for someone right now is peace.....we hope she finds peace. And doesn’t stay stuck in this constant turmoil.

If she did read this I’m sure the displays of classic victim shaming from people with a totally different class of this disease who have zero understanding of what she’s gone through for six months would further upset her.......But I’m equally sure those people are too blissfully ignorant to even comprehend why.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      My advice: Hang on a little longer, get on some safe antidepressants, give MuteButton a chance and wait for FX-322 results. hell, even consider getting Minbo Shim's treatment.

Don't give up yet, we know it's hard :(

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    20. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Even intelligent people can make mistakes Bam. Especially when they are in a distressed state.

I hope you will change your decision Jemina. Give it some time, it can get better, as said in previous posts.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    21. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is not victim shaming. I have sympathy for people who commit suicide due to intolerable suffering.i may come to it myself one day, tinnitus is not my only condition. But it's wrong that people go to ENTs and are told there's nothing you can do, live with it, and come on here and in both places are often given the impression that this disorder never goes away or improves. Sometimes that is true but sometimes it is not!!! I think there have been people who have committed suicide after three months of loud tinnitus because they went to some doctor and were told oh there is nothing you can do, it's permanent. When they may have been in the subset who get better. And that pisses me off. Mine got improved AFTER the six month mark for one.

• Like Like x 3
    22. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      6 months is just too soon, give yourself a chance to change your mind =(

• Agree Agree x 5
    23. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I agree Julien. But let me tell you this with absolute clarity. If and when i end my life due to this bullshit I do not want it to be classed as a ‘mistake’ because it won’t be anything of the sort. It will be a painful, drawn out, agonising and very very calculated decision based on quality of life....of which there is none for people like myself and Jemima who previously enjoyed solitary pursuits and a very simple quite life.

Let’s be clear if every tinnitus suicide is chalked up to being a ‘mistake’ there is no justice for the victims. Their voice is not heard. They are discredited and smeared with inaccurate mental health tags. Just as Jemima explained in her post, which everyone glazed over. She was happy. She wasn’t depressed or sad...... Tinnitus took everything she loved.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Go have a look at the neuromod thread. Anecdotal evidence yesterday that it got rid of T completely.....

• Like Like x 1
    25. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I agree with you Rob and I hold out some small hope for this too, but I think it’s worth remembering that some people simply cannot afford it. It might be 4 or 5 grand. That’s not chump change! And it being out of reach financially might actually be pushing people toward the door in even more frustration and desperation knowing they cannot even try it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      it wont be that expensive.... they want to get it into as many hands as possible...

hold out for this anyway.. if it works theres always a way man....

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      In my first few months after tinnitus onset--when suicidal thoughts were running rampant through my mind--I at one point decided I'd give it at least two years before rushing into such a decision. It was at about 5 1/2 months that I noticed my fear of tinnitus abated considerably, even though my tinnitus hadn't. At about 8 months, I started doing regular mHBOT, and my brain and neurological system calmed down considerably, allowing me to mostly overcome the feeling I was being "eaten alive".

At about 10 months, I had a specialized neck treatment that seemed to calm my system down even more, and also seems to have lessened the tinnitus by about 10-15%. I feel I have good reason to hope for future improvements. The initial 2-year time frame I promised to give myself is now feeling like a good decision. And those rampant suicidal thoughts are almost entirely gone. -- @Jemina, not posting this to influence you, but to give you some information to consider. For me, patience was key (and some specialized treatments that turned out to work well for me).

• Like Like x 3
    28. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      What treatment was this?

29. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      AtlasPROfilax -- I've posted fairly extensively on this forum about it. The link I posted will get you started on different posts I've made. It's a specialized atlas "repositioning". I think it could be especially helpful for people who have various neck problems, and especially those who know their tinnitus is coming from their neck.

I think it's possible many who don't feel they have neck issues could benefit as well, as the practitioners I've visited (2) have said that about 90% of the people they see are good candidates for it. Some people have not noticed any benefits, but many have had literally life-altering health improvements. If you follow some of my links, you'll quickly run across some very short video testimonials of those who've gotten tinnitus relief.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      If you’re that weak that you off yourself while there is a cure for 4 or 5 grand waiting for you, you don't deserve to live in the first place.