In Loving Memory of Allan1967

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus Talk, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Rest in Peace dear Allan.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      R.I.P Allan. I never had a conversation with him, but he seemed like a nice, intelligent person suffering from this debilitating and incurable hell of a condition. I hope he has eternal peace and rest.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      Terrible news. RIP Allan. I briefly talked to him online as his Lenire appointments were the same days as mine. Only just saw this post.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. tokyorequiem

tokyorequiem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Long time lurker, first time poster. Allan's passing prompted me to become a proper member and join others in saying just how sorry I am to read this news. I had been away from Tinnitus Talk for a couple of months and returned to learn this awfully sad news. Allan's humanity and compassion always came through so clearly when he shared his thoughts with us. He is now at rest, and today my thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. ruud1boy

ruud1boy Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 2006. Severe since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      No. Just no.

RIP Allan. I corresponded with him via this forum as we started using Lenire around the same time. Devastating that it's turned out this way. How can this condition be so underplayed / unrecognised by the wider world?

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Constant ringing recent, hum few years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unwanted tests by Incompetent NHS hospital staff
      No words. Sadly many of us probably know how he was feeling and words aren’t ever enough for his loved ones, and people who don’t understand what it’s like to live with it daily and nightly. RIP.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Regal
      Musical

Regal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow (NIHL, Genetic, Ototoxic drugs, stress) ?
      Allan, I never talked to you. But I read so many of your posts during that last year, you were always there for us members and ghost members.

I'm so sad we couldn't help you furthermore. I hope wherever you are, you are in peace.

This news was heartbreaking.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Absolutely tragic. My heart goes out to his family. Such sad news. RIP Allan.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Rogi Cetpla
      Frustrated

Rogi Cetpla Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      T 2010 / IT 2015 / VIT 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure / Head trauma
      RIP my dear Allan for peace is what you truly deserve.

This news hit me like a sledge hammer... it is extremely sad and painful to see someone go out like this in 2020.

Whilst fighting my own battle I had been in and out of Tinnitus Talk over the Christmas period and had noticed that people were starting to be concerned about Allan. His last posts were unfortunately very clear as to his recent state of mind... I was nevertheless still secretly hoping that nothing had happened.

Not many people understand what living with severe tinnitus is like... living is not the adequate term... surviving would be more appropriate. Even though I have had tinnitus for almost a decade I have only recently upgraded to this level of unimaginable torture and now fully understand that there are different levels to this beast. Allan was one of the few of us to suffer from this level of indescribable torture. I truly feel that I have lost a close member of my family... as, I am sure, a lot of you.

Tinnitus is unfortunately a never ending story of pain and despair... after enduring years of suffering it is now Allan's family who will endure pain and suffering... my heart goes out to them.

We must stay strong, understanding and supportive but must also realise that we all have a breaking point.

God bless you all.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    10. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Awe man... reading this has made my heart stop a few beats, I’ve got tears of anger and sadness that it came to this. Allan was a gent, had a wicked sense of humour and loved his sarcastic tone. I can’t be mad at him for doing this, I understand 100%. His poor family as well.
      Whatever is out there I hope he finds the peace and quiet he wanted and deserved.

I hope something comes comes out of this, we all need to take up some sort of action instead of just talking the talk. He deserved better, we all do.

RIP Allan.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    11. aHuman

aHuman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock ´n Roll
      Rest In Silence, Allan...

• Like Like x 3
    12. Holdingon

Holdingon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This news is devastating. I’ve just been a lurker for a long time, relating to Allan these past few months. Hoping he’d be able to turn things around, as any good news with anyone usually gives me a little hope. My heart breaks for what he endured and his family.
      Be strong everyone.

• Useful Useful x 1
    13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      A number of you have asked me what our plans are with regards to remembering Allan's legacy - if, for example, we're going to do something similar to @Danny Boy's Memorial Fund.

So as an update I should say that we have been informed that Allan's family does not seek to raise public awareness or fundraising in his name via Tinnitus Talk or our efforts.

I hope all the wonderful condolences you have sent will help the family in their time of grief.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This is very very upsetting. I want to express how upsetting this is to me, but out of respect for Allan and the situation I am going to leave it alone.

:banghead:

• Agree Agree x 9
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How much do you think could have been raised? How much did Danny's campaign raise?

16. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree, Jack, and I made this clear privately. It’s a real shame.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Although sad news, it is completely understandable that Allan's grieving family would not want the publicity of a fundraising appeal. I know that Allan had recently praised the work that Action on Hearing Loss are doing in terms of tinnitus research so anyone thinking of making a donation might consider that charity.

• Agree Agree x 4
    18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      That's a good idea and can be done privately to respect the family's wishes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What about just general information and fundraising but with specific context?

The tinnitus organizations never emphasize that tinnitus can be severe and that people with it may attempt suicide and many think about committing suicide.

It's a different phenomenon than others who are depressed and think of suicide as they often don't have a physical condition that influences that.

Tinnitus is unique in that no one else can hear the noises in your head and/ears so suicidal feelings because of this baffle health professionals - they can't understand or relate to what the tinnitus sufferer goes through and perceives their feelings and feedback as simply a depression/mental illness issue - equating it with all the other ones.

The tinnitus associations and organizations never mention this explicitly or explain this unique status.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      We do. Some of our videos below. If you would like to tell your struggles on video, please message me. We need more people with severe tinnitus to share their experiences.

Struggling for Silence — The Story of...

The Unrelenting Noise

In Memory of Craig Gill (Inspiral Carpets)

In Search of Silence

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
    21. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Oh no that is sad.
      Sorry you couldn't stay with us Allan.
      Hope you have finally found peace from this demon.

RIP @Allan1967
      x

• Like Like x 1
    22. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      No words.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. Hayls32

Hayls32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pulsatle to begin with. Noise exposure later in life
      I'm so very sad to read this. Allan and I spoke a few times, and I know how hard this has been on him. Thinking of his family. Goodbye, friend x

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Rafalek73

Rafalek73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      You had every right to do so. Living with heavy tinnitus is inhumane. Rest in peace.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Bobbette

Bobbette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I miss Allan.

• Like Like x 3
    26. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Let's not forget Allan!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    27. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I often think of Allan and his surviving family.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 2
    28. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I think now and then of a classmate from high school who committed suicide two years after we finished high school. If there's an afterlife I would like to have a long conversation with him then. We weren't close but I grew to understand his struggles intimately in my past 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I think one of the most misunderstood people are people who commit suicide. As a young man I was a little dismissive within myself toward these people but over the years I learned to suspend any judgement and just feel compassion. Ironically, after many years severe tinnitus and drug tolerance/withdrawal make me wish to die every day so now I understand these people quite well. I have kids so I need to ward this off as long as I can, hoping in some sort of reversion sooner or later. In this sense Allan's departure, Gaby's story and other suicides scare me because they show that severe tinnitus can really kill you. Both Allan and Gaby had kids.

I need to believe I can get through this but every evening I wish I won't wake up after my 3 hours of sleep :(

• Hug Hug x 16
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I don't have kids, but I do have a wife and family that I love very dearly. I have very, very severe hyperacusis (with accompanying tinnitus). I know that feeling of wanting to be dead, but not wanting to throw suicide on loved ones. I often go to bed hoping I'll die in my sleep. We have to stay strong; there may be therapies that can help us.

But I respect Allan's fight and decision -- I view it as humane, certainly not selfish. RIP.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2