Just Discovered Coffee Massively Helps My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by I_Detest_Ringing, Mar 9, 2018.

1. I_Detest_Ringing

I_Detest_Ringing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      september 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe Otitis Media
      So I have no hearing loss, ENT says MRI is clear also. Basically I have an ongoing static or gaseous sound in my right ear, when it gets loud (which isn't very loud by people's standard on here I have realised) my other ear rings like an old phone dial tone. It may be low but it totally destroys my quality of life as a musician.

Anyways, I've been off coffee for over a year and milk for 6 months. The past 3 days I got a cafe latte from UK Costa coffee, and before I even finish the cup, I notably felt my tinnitus fade away, not only that but that state of mind of noticing it and checking if it's there, also faded completely. My first cup was a big hit, it actually reminded me of taking speed when I was a young foolish teenager. The caffeine was a great uplift after being down for 3 months over my new T. I also noticed that my ears don't click (I can manually click eustachians) when I swallow, after having the coffee. After a few hours it returns with the tinnitus.

So for 3 days I got the same cafe latte, and got the same response every day. Day 4 I didn't take any and I felt shitty again with notable focus on T.

Then on day 4 night time, I felt shitty in bed and fell asleep all night with my headphones in using WHITE NOISE GENERATOR on google. When I awoke my ears were noticeably quieter, much more than when I just use the app for 20mins. I think sleeping with that noise in someway reprogrammed my brain a bit, and maybe this coffee effect helped too

Today I got the cafe latte, same uplifting results. Then tonight I made my own by heating milk in a pan and adding 2 spoonfuls of douwe egbert instant coffee - not as tastey as the real deal, but it worked AGAIN.

So tonight of day 5 of coffees I can feel them wearing off and a very very mild static return to my right ear, slightly responsive to tv sound. I am going to sleep all night with the white noise generator on again, and get a coffee tomorrow. I'll update and let you know how it goes.

I thought I'd share this as maybe some of you haven't tried coffee for tinnitus. When you google it, it says it makes tinnitus worse, but some reports also say it makes it better ... Fingers crossed !!

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If it's regular coffee.... then the caffeine can possibly increase jitters, stress, anxiety and those are not friendly towards tinnitus at all....

I'm glad it worked for you, but it's not something i'd drink at all...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Julien87
      Happy

Julien87 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I can't live without my coffee :love:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Helheim
      Stressed

Helheim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Huh. Doesn't affect mine at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I have written this before here but I awaken with loud tinnitus every single morning. After so many years I am less rattled by it. I just learned to get up and start my day.

My first cup of coffee always lessened the loudness of my tinnitus. I was told by a scientist friend that it was most likely due to the constriction of the blood vessels in the pathway.

However, it made it worse when I, of course, thought ten cups would help even more.....not a good idea.

Still to this day my morning cup of coffee helps. Someone will have to pry my cup of morning coffee out of my bony little fingers!!!!

So do this in moderation.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You'd be surprised what you can live without. I love coffee/caffeine but I can only use it occasionally now. Have you tried stopping for awhile to see if it affects your tinnitus?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Michael B
      Supportive

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupidity
      I love coffee but regularly stick to decaf to be on the safe side. That said, I had a cup of regular coffee yesterday and felt jittery for hours. I also had a bad T day yesterday but then my tinnitus varies from day to day.

8. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      My morning coffee calms my T down and afternoon coffee makes it spike. -- Go figure. Guess I will stop the afternoon coffee..

• Like Like x 1
    9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    10. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      that leads me to believe that the damage to our ears has caused disruptions to the reuptake of neurotransmitters and by the end of the day our synapses are just worn out and the extra stimulation exacerbates it.

• Like Like x 1
    11. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Makes sense John.

Because of work related stress in the last year, my T has been very bothersome. -- Eating bad during this time doesn't help matters.

I think that when our brain is tired and/or stressed, T is more noticeable which for me leads to trying to eat my why out of the stress which only provides about 20 minutes of temporary enjoyment. -- Salty foods is the real enemy for me but that afternoon coffee has to go as well.

I've been working out more lately which helps a lot. -- I haven't masked in a couple years but may take that up again as well before I get depressed again.

The latest thing I'm hear about is using a 20w 850nm LED light which is directed into the ear for a few minutes 3 times/week. -- I'm still trying to find a low cost way to try this out since I'm tired of spending $$ on things that don't work..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      A few years ago I read an article by what I considered a reputable medical university, maybe Johns Hopkins? I forgot. It indicated that coffee was some sort of newly discovered medical miracle.

Coffee has been shown to reverse liver damage from alcohol. Neurologists recommend coffee for the onset of migraine headaches. Coffee certainly helps me deal with the headaches caused by T. There was an article I read a few years ago that recommended some sort of frozen concoction from Starbucks for the onset of a migraine. It was the combination of cold and caffeine that helped.

There were numerous other benefits from coffee. Look this up for yourself. It is some interesting reading.

13. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will research this. Thanks Tex. -- I do love my coffee.. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. ClubRacer

ClubRacer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One night in a club
      Caffeine makes zero difference to my tinnitus. I can drink coffee or anything I like but a spike will just hit me at any time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      i never liked coffee. mainly bcz i like to chill. BUT OH MY GOD esspresso (cafe bustello) completely stops my pulse T that shows up 6mos out of the year off and on. (its a bastard) I thought it was allergy related. Looks like I will have to learn about blood vessels.