Lidocaine Injections to the Otic Ganglion (Nervus Trigeminus)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by matt89, Mar 25, 2016.

1. matt89
      Studious

matt89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @attheedgeofscience recently mentioned that a doctor in Germany has completed a study with promising results where 300 patients with tinnitus have been treated with Lidocaine injections to the otic ganglion.
      1. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/171794/
      2. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/171829/
      Unfortunately there is no further publicly information available about this study.

But if you do some research yourself you can find out that there is also a German source (publication by Eberhard Biesinger, a German ENT) where otic ganglion injections as a tinnitus treatment are discussed superficially.

The otic ganglion is a particular joint of the trigeminal nerve (nervus trigeminus). Clinical research in the US has shown that the trigeminal nerve plays a significant role in the development of tinnitus. Injections to the otic ganglion with 3 ml fluid which consists of 1% Procaine/Lidocaine are already a proven method to treat the following conditions:
      • temporal-mandibular joint disorders
      • disorders of the masticatory muscles
      • diseases of the parotid gland (parotitis)
      • neuralgia of the third division of the trigeminal nerve
      Furthermore are such injections used in general to anesthetize the mandibular joint for various treatments.

Sources (German):
      1. Tinnitus - Endlich Ruhe im Ohr (Page 140)
      2. Taschenatlas der Neuraltherapie nach Huneke (Page 68)
      3. Lehrbuch und Atlas Neuraltherapie (Page 158)
      I've never heard of Lidocaine injections to the otic ganglion as a possibility of treating tinnitus.
      I will talk with my ENT about these injections and I think I will give it a try if he is willing to do it.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Thank you for this info. Considering my hyperacusis came on with facial neuralgia (I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia initially), I have TMJ disorder and tinnitus, I think this could be a real possibility for me.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matt89
      Studious

matt89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had an appointment with my ENT an hour ago and talked with him about Lidocaine injections to the otic ganglion.

His response (summarized):

Injections to the otic ganglion are too risky. If you stitch with the needle just a bit besides the otic ganglion you damage other nerves and can cause a permanent sensory disorder. One can train this kind of injection but you won't find an ENT in this town (1 million citizens, more than 80 ENTs) who is willing to do it.

He's an assistant medical director of the ENT station at a renowned hospital here.

@attheedgeofscience, you state that a doctor in Germany did these injections to 300 patients.

Do you have any further information regarding the risks or do you know why this doctor incurred such a risk in case of 300 patients? I really want to try this, but my ENT sounded like it's a lottery win to hit the otic ganglion with a needle.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      This study reviewed tinnitus patients suffering from somatosensory tinnitus. They were treated with Lidocaine injections to the Otic Ganglion.

Attached Files:

5. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Lidocaine injections to the otic ganglion for the treatment of tinnitus - A pilot study

"We did not observe any relevant side effects. There was a significant reduction of tinnitus distress (Mini-TQ, Tinnitus severity) and loudness (measured subjectively) over time. Our pilot data suggests that lidocaine injections targeting trigeminal structures may be able to reduce tinnitus complaints. Future studies should investigate the effects of lidocaine injections in placebo-controlled trials in an extended sample size to further explore the potential benefits of this therapeutic approach on tinnitus."​

See PDF.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I'm getting to the point where I might have to beg a dentist to do this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      There's nothing new about this in 5 years?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. angelsissi
      Sad

angelsissi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/23/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - stress, loud music via AirPods,...?
      I recently spoke to someone who got rid of her tinnitus by getting these Lidocaine injections. But I have to mention this person also did many exercises the doctors advised her to do in order to really get rid of her somatosensory tinnitus. After all of this she is now tinnitus free and Biesinger wants to take a deeper look into tinnitus patients receiving this injection but also doing the exercises. But this injection really is only helpful if you have a somatosensory tinnitus, otherwise it’s useless.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Phazes

Phazes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      NOV 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How can one be sure they have somatic T or not? So many doctors are clueless about T how can one be sure?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Like everything with tinnitus it is subjective, but if you can modulate your tinnitus my moving pulling twisting or extending your face or neck it is somatic tinnitus. For example, if I open my mouth wide, clench my jaw, or pull back in my scalp the pitch and quality of the noise changes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      The more I research/speak to different health care "fields" the more I'm convinced the Vagus nerve has a great deal to do with tinnitus (Vagal tone). Forward head posture (cervical kyphosis) should be at least investigated by all those impacted; especially C1 and 2 where the VN makes its way into the coconut.

• Agree Agree x 4
    12. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      When I open my jaw really wide or bend over, I hear additional sounds rather than current ones changing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. danielthor

danielthor Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      I think that is completely normal. I have noticed the same even before I had tinnitus or even knew about it.

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I can modulate some of my noise, but after inducing residual inhibition with sound files, I can still hear head noise.

What's going on there?

• Good Question Good Question x 1