Link Between COVID-19, Tinnitus, Hearing Loss, and Vertigo

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Keith Handy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Have you had your hearing tested post-COVID-19?

I have heard that individuals with COVID-19 could wait six months before vaccination. Maybe talk to your doctor because between COVID-19 and the vaccine, you may have a low risk of catching COVID-19 in the immediate future. Maybe your immunity titers could be run, give you a better idea of your level of protection.

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus helpline reports a surge in calls since start of the coronavirus pandemic

"For those experiencing tinnitus, Beukes advised: “It’s important to know that help is available and you’re not alone. There’s help from the British Tinnitus Association and online support groups. And yoga, CBT, and sound-based apps that provide nature sounds to distract from tinnitus can help.”​

God, I want to scream.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      That is a significant increase in calls and I really hope they determine the cause. Interesting that the article mentioned medications used to treat COVID-19. I was reading material on an audiologist association website, and it was warning that many of the drugs used to treat COVID-19 have ototoxicity. That’s a tough one, you really do not get a say when you’re in the ICU and doctors are trying to keep you alive.

4. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks ever so much for that Guardian Article, Kriszti.

Will such a resultant tinnitus epidemic from COVID-19 (with all of the attendant incidences of suicide, incapacitation, employment disability claims, hospitalized depression, domestic strife, etc.) be what is required to get Medical Science concentrated on a cure?

Tinker Bell's last point is especially apt. When you wake up from ICU, the doctors will say, "You survived COVID-19 but have this condition called tinnitus; it will not kill you but make you wish you were dead."

• Like Like x 1
    5. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Or even just think of the COVID-19 long haulers, tinnitus and hearing loss are frequently noted symptoms.

I read today that due to the rare blood clots linked to J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines, doctors worked quickly and found a treatment that will have positive implications for anyone who experiences the clots — even those not linked to vaccination.

Seems like now is also a good time to work quickly and find treatment solutions for hearing loss and tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      14% can mean 100% of people with tinnitus. Is it known how much (in percentage) their tinnitus worsened after the vaccine if they already had obvious tinnitus beforehand?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Tinnitus

What I found interesting is that idea:

"further research should be done to determine if it can be directly attributed to the virus or to other factors such as the impact of receiving critical care, ototoxic medications, and/ or the stress of being hospitalized.

8. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Absolutely. I sense that it is more a problem of antibiotics and various and strong medications, than the effect of the coronavirus.

As there is total apathy among doctors regarding tinnitus, ototoxic treatments are given without telling the patient.

In my country a famous person lost her hearing in one ear after being in the hospital for 3 months, she thought it was due to the infection but in reality it was due to antibiotics. No doctor told him it was because of the antibiotics, and that is because of the doctors' inaction about ototoxic drugs.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      If the 15% statistic correct, considering 150 million people are infected so far, there are around 19.5 million new tinnitus sufferers post COVID-19 (I consider 85% are new sufferers and 15% pre-existing ones with worsening), which is around 0.25% of the global population.

It's still not a dramatic increase, if already 15% of the global population had tinnitus, and after COVID-19 it elevated to 15.25%, so I'm not sure if the increase is enough to gain extra attention.

10. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think I have expressed myself wrong. That 14% includes people with tinnitus and those with no previous tinnitus. For example, of that 14%, 5% acquire tinnitus and the remaining 9% already had it, that 9% may be 100% of those who had tinnitus, that is, 100% of those who had tinnitus worsened. You have to see the data of people who already had tinnitus, otherwise the information is distorted.

11. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Very simple, don't get the vaccine. Especially if you already had COVID-19. And if your tinnitus got worse from having COVID-19, then that's even more of a reason not to get the shot. Unless you're ok with permanent worsening over a small chance of getting COVID-19 again.

12. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

You're looking at it from the wrong POV. Yes, they are tinnitus sufferers, but they're also "COVID-19 Long-Haulers".

That is a population whose symptoms and conditions are going to be studied and dissected for years and years to come, pharma + medical science is going to focus on them like nothing that has been seen before.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Ya don’t get the vaccine, so you can get COVID-19 again.

14. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Yes and no. The risk is tinnitus again will not be taken seriously as non life threatening while respiratory and heart problems will be given priority. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Lol ok. You're probably one of those people who haven't left their house in a year because of COVID-19. Straight up COVID-19 can be deadly, or a little cold. For half of the people it's a little cold. The other half get really sick but only a small percentage of those people will actually die from it.

16. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      You're not wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    17. TinkleTinkleArgh

TinkleTinkleArgh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid-19 vaccine
      For the poster that said tinnitus from COVID-19 is likely permanent, would that extend to tinnitus caused by the COVID-19 vaccine as well?

Also, I am 2.5 weeks out from onset of tinnitus and have a prescription for Prednisone. Would it be advantageous to try it? I am just afraid of making my existing tinnitus worse.

18. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

I think tinnitus from the vaccine is a very very tiny chance, it's most likely coincidental, in my opinion.

Also, I think the window for Prednisone is 72 hours...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Past the acute stage, viral mediated hearing loss is usually permanent but the tinnitus from it can fade over time.

I would think inflammation from the vaccine would have a better prognosis since it should be more transient.

2.5 weeks out is about the limit of where steroids might help so it might be worth trying but he chances of seeing results are less than if you took them immediately.

NAC, Magnesium and Astaxanthin might be worth taking too.

20. TinkleTinkleArgh

TinkleTinkleArgh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid-19 vaccine
      Thank you. I have no hearing loss (my hearing was actually really good according to the audiogram). It’s just this damn ringing/hissing/ear pain.

I have been taking Turmeric/Ginkgo/Magnesium/Zinc/Vitamin Bs, but am getting NAC today.

I’ll give the steroids a try. Can’t hurt.

21. ZaneBerry

ZaneBerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They already had that treatment before. They just had to find the source for the side effects so they knew which treatment was the correct one but the treatment is in no way new.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I myself got tinnitus two months after I got COVID-19, and I can tell you there are many more like me affected. It's one more symptom of what they call "Long COVID-19".

• Like Like x 2
    23. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Same here, although I got COVID-19 in September and the tinnitus only came two months later.

• Like Like x 1
    24. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Uh yeah, but it causes permanent tinnitus, permanent altering of smell and taste. Who the fuck cares if death is a risk or not?

• Like Like x 2
    25. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I'm sorry you are going through this after the vaccine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    26. Nate

Nate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I think the best bet would be the antibiotics caused the tinnitus, not the virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Hamsti

Hamsti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everything, I suppose. Stress, high cholesterol, TMJ...
      I don't think so. Also mild cases of COVID-19 can cause tinnitus etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes, many cold viruses can cause hearing loss and tinnitus so it’s entirely possible that COVID-19 can cause it too.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      The hearing loss causes tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This story came out today, no information if it applies to tinnitus though...

"Covid-19 vaccines tend to alleviate the symptoms of long Covid, according to a large survey of more than 800 people that suggests mRNA vaccines, in particular, are beneficial"

Long Covid symptoms ease after vaccination, survey finds

• Funny Funny x 1