Lipoflavonoid for Tinnitus? Helps or Not?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Pat, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Lapis

Lapis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So it looks like they actually did a study on the stuff and discovered it didn't help anybody.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/aaa/jaaa/2016/00000027/00000008/art00005

Manganese and Lipoflavonoid Plus® to Treat Tinnitus: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Background:

Several tinnitus sufferers suggest that manganese has been helpful with their tinnitus.

Purpose:

We tested this in a controlled experiment where participants were committed to taking manganese and Lipoflavonoid Plus® to treat their tinnitus.

Research Design:

Randomized controlled trial.

Study Sample:

40 participants were randomized to receive both manganese and Lipoflavonoid Plus® for 6 months, or Lipoflavonoid Plus® only (as the control).

Data Collection and Analysis:

Pre- and postmeasures were obtained with the Tinnitus Handicap Questionnaire, Tinnitus Primary Functions Questionnaire, and tinnitus loudness and annoyance ratings. An audiologist performed the audiogram, the tinnitus loudness match, and minimal masking level.

Results:

Twelve participants were dropped out of the study because of the side effects or were lost to follow-up. In the manganese group, 1 participant (out of 12) showed a decrease in the questionnaires, and another showed a decrease in the loudness and annoyance ratings. No participants from the control group (total 16) showed a decrease in the questionnaires ratings. Two participants in the control group reported a loudness decrement and one reported an annoyance decrement.

Conclusions:

We were not able to conclude that either manganese or Lipoflavonoid Plus® is an effective treatment for tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 3
    2. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      We sell this at Target and wondered if it was worth the money :/

lipoflavonoid-plus-tinnitus-ringing-ears.jpg

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It did nothing for me. I am not advising to get it or not, but it did nothing for me at all. My tinnitus stems mostly from loud noises and some meds.

• Like Like x 1
    4. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      It's not cheap and I didn't want to waste the money on it. Looks like it's pretty useless.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Spent 60 bucks on it, did nothing

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Ryan Lucas

Ryan Lucas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection / Anxiety
      I was searching for pricing info and came across this thread. It actually works for me. It's not a cure by any means, but I've been taking it for about 5 years now. I've tried periods of a week to 2 weeks without and I notice a difference. Not huge mind you, I'd say 20 percent overall reduction.

If you're going to try it, the only to cheap places I've seen is Walmart ($25) and Amazon. I was searching for price info because Amazon is listing the msrp for this as $19.91 with their current price at $18.86. Overall it seems the price for this is dropping steadily.

I don't take the recommended dosage on the bottle, it seems way too much. I currently take 1 pill at dinner and 1 at bed. During the winter I add a 3rd pill at lunch. I've tried taking more but anything higher then 3 makes me feel sick. There's probably something in this that I already have enough of due to my other medications. The ingredients look nothing more then your average B-complex. I'm guessing it's either the right balance for me, or the extra addition of "high potency lemon bioflavonoid complex, 1000mg" is helping. I figured that was produced from the skin of lemons, but I could be wrong. I'd love to find out if I can get that ingredient separately but haven't done much digging.

My experience may be unique in comparison to others because my tinnitus is likely medication related. I had balance and generalized anxiety issues after having a bad inner ear infection about a decade ago. I went thru all the doctors, CT scan, etc and nobody found anything. I do take generic Zoloft for anxiety, and tinnitus is a known side effect. My tinnitus is loudest in the evening, especially in quiet environments. I don't really notice it during the day. It sounds like what wikipedia describes as "brownian noise". It gets louder with change of seasons (fall/winter) then lessens once spring arrives. Another theory is that my eardrum is amplifying blood flow since I have crooked ear canals.

• Like Like x 3
    7. sharonr

sharonr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Hi, I tried this and it made it worse. When I stopped taking it my condition improved.
      Thank you,
      Sharon.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Got this picture from a member - has anyone else seen lipoflavonoid advertised on TV?

lipo.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Not me :woot:
      Nice see it on a advert.
      I know some members take it...
      Love glynis x

10. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      I've read alot of LIPO reviews on Amazon and the people who seem to be helped the most are people with ear balance problems, but sure wish we could contact some of these people months later and see if its still working for them.

Maybe Amazon could offer a discount to reviewers if they'd be willing to leave their email address so potential buyers could contact them months later to see if the product is still working and that in turn would provide a great public benefit.

11. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Yes, they advertise quite heavily on TV. I still haven't tried it, but now they have an am/pm formula which includes a mix of the regular pills along with melatonin enhanced pills. Melatonin seems to help a lot of people, so I suspect that some people will find sleep relief from the new melatonin enhanced formula and continue buying the pills. I haven't had one doctor recommend these to me, though the pharmacist said they helped a lot people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. freakerdude

freakerdude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but possibly too much loud music
      Well I’ve read almost all of these replies and it seems the consensus is that it didn’t work for most people here. But I’m going to give it a shot because I’m willing to try anything that might relieve it even by 10 to 20%

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      My ENT (!!) Gave me a recommendation of Arches Formula. It’s an expensive 4-month pack. I’ve been using them for about 3 months now & have found NO relief so far.
      Sorry to report that as of tonight, the T is just as loud and as abnoxious as ever.

14. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I was also surprised that the first ENT I saw told me to use Lipo-Flavanoids, 2 each three times a day. I guess it's worth a shot. Even if it only helps 1 in 1000 and you're the 1 you'll be pretty happy. Worse case it costs you a few bucks for nothing,

15. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You can also send me $10 by mail. I promise you that 1 in 1000 of those who will send me $10 will feel better, so you stand a chance, and very little to lose!

• Funny Funny x 5
    16. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      ENTs suggest lipoflavonoids and similar supplements just to boost placebo effect, and provide some hope by giving you something even if the know that is very unlikely that will have any effect. White lies...

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      Someone has probably already mentioned this, but based on reading Amazon comments on that Flavonoid supplement, it sounds like it helps people with the Meniere's condition or however that's spelled, luck them!

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. dbth
      Probing

dbth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Headphones
      @Markku yes I first noticed the advertisement on my tv not long after I first got tinnitus and was searching online about it. Figured it couldn't be a coincidence and sure enough targeted advertising based on browsing habits was enabled on our cable provider account lol. Fixed it and it doesn't show any more. Kind of annoying knowing it doesn't help, especially in my case (noise induced) trying to ignore my tinnitus and enjoy some tv escape and it shows an advert about it. Glad I was able to turn off the targeted ads. If anyone has noticed the same trend check your cable provider account settings!

19. Ladyamos

Ladyamos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This might be too old of a post, but I started lipoflavoinds plus and after only five doses... I feel awful today. No appetite, slept terribly, nausea, increased dizziness/vertigo, and diarrhea (sorry)... anyone else experience this? Do you remember how long before it passed? I’d rather deal with the ringing... I stopped taking it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. krispin
      Woot

krispin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wayward youth
    21. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Could Lipo-Flavonoid be out of my system after 1.5 months of taking them?? I ask because usually when my right ear is ringing like it is tonight it's much louder.

I had a feeling about 2 weeks in the Lipo's were making my tinnitus worse.

22. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Lipo-Flavonoids do not help at all with sensorinueral hearing loss, the last time I checked they did not repair any damage in the cochlea or target regions of the brain that generate tinnitus.

It's a mass placebo! They know better!

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      the melatonin relaxing the body is doing all the work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Not in the UK. Can't believe they are allowed to advertise something which is at most a placebo effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd like to share a tinnitus joke with everyone: "Lipoflavonoids"

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    26. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ENT prescribed it, I tried it for a month or two, I couldn’t tell any difference, I had to stop because it started hurting my stomach, I’ve heard some people say it does help, so it may depend on the person, it didn’t help me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    27. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Who has tried the 'original' not generic form of Lipoflavonoid Plus and niacin? Has it helped you? I am currently taking them right now and the doctor told me 80% cure from tinnitus.

28. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If I were you, I'd look for another doc...

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Tried it, didn't work. I'm on b12, b6, magnesium and zinc....the buzzing is still there....the fullness still there....the pain still there...

Isn't there any supplements that can help reducing the tinnitus?

30. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Some things seem to work for some people, but nothing that has a high success rate for everyone, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1