Low-Dose Nortriptyline?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sjtinguy, Dec 10, 2017.

1. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I saw an ear doctor this week for tinnitus and she said my hearing was fine for my age.

She prescribed nortriptyline and for me to take 1 10mg tablet the first week, then take 20mg the second week. This seems like a very low dose... is this common to be recommended?

I have never taken anti-anxiety or antidepressant meds before so I am unsure about taking it, but I could really use something to help me relax and sleep.

Has anyone else taken this low of a dose for tinnitus?

2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      I thought the lowest dose of Nortriptyline was 25mg but I could be wrong. It may help but dry mouth was a problem for me. So drink a lot of water if you take it. I see it does come in 10mg.

3. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      My Nero doc gave me nortriptyline 25mg low dose now everyone respond differently so I didn't do well, it was recommended to help sleep. I was on it for 3 weeks and I was never on meds before. My GP doc recommend another med. Anyway she told me to stop the nortriptyline go on to the other except when I went off I had bad withdrawal so my advice if you go off go off slowly so you don't withdrawal. To sleep I bought a sound machine, fan and I just take 2 Tylenol pm no meds to sleep.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Thank you, I guess I was wrong and it's 10mg a day for the first week, then 20mg the second week. I just filled the prescription, still kinda nervous about taking it. I am especially concerned about side effects and withdrawl symptoms like you describe, but really could use some help relaxing and falling asleep. I don't have a GP so it's kinda sketchy just taking brain meds without close supervision imo

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I've had T 5 months and mine is moderate head T, if you read from other suffers they say in time it does get better. But until then meds should be under control by a doc and not a ear doc. There are problems that can happen and if you have to change meds which i change twice. Read up on meds. Be informed due to I got anxiety after I got T and what I now have to take meds for. Having T is a complex issue.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      yeah my anxiety is through the rough lately because i'm not working, not exercising enough, feel cooped up in my house, can't go outside without fear or making the tinnitus worse.. i'm pretty much a wreck. So this medicine sounds like it would be good to try but like you said it's something that shouldn't be under the control of an ear doctor as much as a regular or psychiatric doctor. I'm not really into doing experiments with my brain chemistry

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I take Nortriptyline 50mg.
      It stopped my head tinnitus and sleep really well on it.
      No side effects only little tired when started it.
      Its been the best thing for me.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Thanks Glynis, I saw in my searches that you used it, but not many other people here have. I will keep an open mind to it, though I think I want to be in the regular care of a health professional if I do end up taking it. Luckily today is a better day than yesterday, if they can all be like this, then I don't think I would need the meds

• Like Like x 1
    9. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      When I first came down with T My nervous system was a train wreck and lost 30 lbs and wasnt heavy for a 6' 3' fellow. I took xanax for several monthes and then slowly tapered off when I finally got out of the panic mode and started habituating to my T. Today I take one 5 mg valium every night prescribed by my orthopedic doc for good sleep and to relax the muscles in my neck because of arthritis....The T really doesnt panic me anymore for I keep busy and my brain focused on other things and it fades into the background. Nice thing about the brain it generally focuses on one thing at a time so lets not focus on the T...

11. Dan RVA

Dan RVA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really sure
      I was also prescribed a 10mg dose of Nortriptyline by my ENT for my T. He did not have me increasing the dosage, but rather come back in 4 weeks and see how it is working and then we would go from there. I am a horrible patient because I took one, and was so sleepy the next morning I said not again. At work the next day I could not stop yawning. It did help me sleep a bit when I really needed it though.

I think some of my NOT taking it is my desire for control. Sort of like I have this medicine in my pocket ready to deploy when I really, REALLY need it. That helps me feel like I am the boss of my T (just a little :D).

Good luck in your struggle, please let us know how it works for you.

Dan

12. OnceUponaTime
      Busy

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi, just wondering if you took the medicine and how did it go?? Did it help you??? Hope all is well.

• Like Like x 1
    13. CrystalC

CrystalC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been prescribed the same dose of Nortriptyline. 20 mgs now every evening. I’m really hoping it helps me with my depression and anxiety from having tinnitus. So far, I have none of the side effects that others have mentioned. I do not wake up bright and alert - but this goes away after I drink water etc. I have to say at least it has alleviated my depression a little bit. But I want this drug to do more for me.

14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Hi there Glynis,

I've been meaning to ask you if you still take the Nortriptyline. And if so, has your head noise returned?

15. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes I still take it. I sleep well and have no head tinnitus, but it's still in both ears.

I hope you are doing better xxx

16. Turgy

Turgy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hello Glynis, what is the difference between ear and head tinnitus?