Magnesium

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ChrisJ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I must confess I have spent/wasted an embarrassing amount of money on supplements in a desperate attempt to control my symptoms but of all the ones I have taken I think the only one I will continue to buy in the future is Magnesium Chloride.

I found out about it thanks to one of @Danny Boy 's excellent research pieces.

The one I am using is Mega-Mag by Trace Minerals Research.

The reason I like it is because when I take 200ml of it on an empty stomach with water before bed it really mellows me out. As much as the clonazepam I would say at small doses and it helps me to get to sleep. It doesn't work as well with fruit juices because I think the sugar just counteracts the mild sedative effect.

I tried tablet forms of Magnesium but they didn't do anything and often came with other minerals like zinc or calcium. This brand seems to be much more concentrated.

If I can get a nice relaxed feeling off of a natural mineral like that without any of the side effects of drugs that's great.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who tries it to see if you get the same feeling.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I too have spent $1000s on supplements. 99.9% did nothing for me. I still take magnesium from time to time. I think it helps calm me. A calmer me usually means a calmer T.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @ChrisJ,

I've been taking magnesium chloride for a couple of years now, on the recommendation of an acupuncturist. (The acupuncturist wasn't able to help me with my tinnitus, but he was quite knowledgeable about supplements).

I take the magnesium every night, about an hour before bedtime. As you said, it really helps you to mellow out, and settle down naturally to sleep. When I first began taking it, I was distraught, as a result of my tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus. Back then, I was experiencing the feeling that my entire body was vibrating from the pulsating. The magnesium helped me calm down, and that feeling finally went away.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try a natural supplement, both for calming and for sleep.

• Useful Useful x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      While I was reading about magnesium, latest researches showed that magnesium glycinate is the form of magnesium that is far away best absorption form of all (chloride, taurate, citrate, carobnate etc).

• Like Like x 4
    5. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I got some and i havent tried it, im going to right now!

Thanks for the tip, i need that!

6. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I have a family member who is really big into nutrition and she suggested for me a brand called "Ease". It's a magnesium spray that you put onto several certain parts of your body and supposedly it absorbs much better than through ingestion. I have bottle that I will experiment with.

• Like Like x 1
    7. wintersilence

wintersilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-2015
      I have always been intrigued by magnesium due to it's calming characteristics long before I had tinnitus, so it was a particular supplement I was fairly well versed with at the time my ringing started. I have still been supplementing with it fairly consistently, however, just recently I have noted a slight spike in my tinnitus without being exposed to any noises of concern. After trying to find a culprit, the only thing I determined is that my magnesium supplement ran out while I was awaiting another one in the mail. Could it be coincidence, sure....but I'm trying to stay optimistic that the magnesium had an impact.

I will say that although I am no nutritional expert, I have discovered there appears to be a significant difference among the types of magnesium supplements; not only pertaining to absorption efficacy, but also calming properties, which I think we all can agree is a welcomed attribute. I have tried topical magnesium and I feel it is effective, but it's far less convenient and more expensive.

Topical magnesium has the advantage of being utilized by the body even if there are present digestive problems that would inhibit proper absorption via an oral supplement. For instance, I have always struggled with acid reflux, (heartburn) and learned that medications, such as Prilosec and other acid reducers may reduce magnesium absorption. This is a common ailment and I'm just offering food for thought that if your supplementing with magnesium and not noticing a change then either you may not need that mineral, or maybe you are doing something or have a condition that is impeding proper absorption.

Lastly as I mentioned earlier, I feel it is worth one's time to look into the different oral forms of magnesium. Currently, I have just started to try Magnesium Taurate, and I am interested in also trying magnesium glycinate. The verdict is still out for me, so I can't offer any advice quite yet. I used to always take magnesium citrate until I learned of these other two magnesium forms, which offer very good absorption, but may also have more of a calming and/or anti-anxiety impact than other forms. That is only based on my limited humble research of the different supplements.

• Like Like x 3
    8. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have an opposite reaction to Magnesium. It give me insomnia. And I've taken all the "high end" Magnesium including Glycinate, Orotate and Taurate. I also do the 2-1 ratio of Calcium to Magnesium. I could have avoid my sleepless nights thinking it was my T that was keeping me a wake when it was the Magnesium.

9. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I took a number of different magnesium formulations at the start of my tinnitus (though not topical) and they only ever had any discernible effect on my bowel.

Fungus

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Avabelle

Avabelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015
      I take magnesium malate - it helps but it doesn't get me through the night.

11. Jamie
      Worried

Jamie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1989
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1989 Ear Infection 2015 Coming off Benzo
      I've just got some magnesium amino acid chelate, it also has 50mg of pyridoxine (Vit b6)

Has anybody else tried this, started taking it yesterday and now the humming in my right ear seems louder

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I was hoping you will say better not louder.
      I have drone/engine noise too and it's not fun:(

• Hug Hug x 4
    13. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Physiologically it is impossible for magnesium to make tinnitus go worse. It's probably a nocebo effect.

14. ady

ady Member

Magnesium can have a calming effect. Great for cramps too.

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Magnesium bisglycinate is an essential mineral needed for more than 300 enzymatic reactions in the body.

This mineral is required for the formation of healthy bones and teeth, protein and fatty acid formation, activating B vitamins, supporting muscle activity, nerve transmission, relaxing blood vessels, clotting blood, temperature regulation and ensuring intestinal mobility also called bowel movements.

Magnesium bisglycinate is magnesium bound to the amino acid glycine. This binding makes the magnesium highly absorbable.

For example you would have to take 4 times the amount of magnesium citrate to get the equivalent amount of magnesium bisglycinate.

The bisglycinate form of magnesium does not require stomach acid for absorption as it passes into the cell via its amino acid transport which means even those with poor digestion or absorption get the benefits.

Magnesium bisglycinate is the only magnesium shown to cross the blood brain barrier which makes it an excellent choice for aiding those with depression and/or anxiety, or migraine headaches.

Stress of all types including chemical, emotional, hormonal or physical stress depletes magnesium from the body.

Since magnesium relaxes muscles and nerves, more magnesium is needed when you are under stress.

When we are under stress our adrenal glands produce cortisol which further increases acidity in the body thereby increasing the need for even more magnesium.

Because magnesium is required in the metabolism of estrogen in the body, low levels of magnesium increases estrogen leading to estrogen dominance. Symptoms of too much estrogen include premenstrual breast and uterine pain, headaches, backaches, premenstrual depression and mood swings. Women on the birth control pill or hormone replacement therapy also become deficient in magnesium as the drugs deplete magnesium.

Anyone with an estrogen dominant condition like endometriosis, PMS, fibroids, ovarian cysts, period problems or breast cysts need magnesium bisglycinate.

Interestingly, many women crave chocolate during their premenstrual and menstrual period. Chocolate is high in magnesium!

Magnesium deficiency is common due to our consumption of processed foods and the depletion of magnesium from agricultural soils and water.

Magnesium supplementation can help with many conditions from high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat or heart palpitations, to insomnia, anxiety and depression to fibromyalgia, osteoporosis and leg cramps at night or following exercise.

Always make sure when you are purchasing minerals that the label states whether or not the dosage is in its elemental value. This tells you if you are getting exactly what you are paying for.

Which Magnesium Is Best?

Magnesium oxide and citrates are laxatives causing diarrhea and they are poorly absorbed.

Magnesium bisglycinate is much better absorbed and it does not cause diarrhea.

Magnesium bisglycinate is four times more effective than citrate forms of magnesium.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010HJXQMC

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HF61MKY

• Helpful Helpful x 5
      • Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. Sven
      Not amused

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      All magnesium ever did to me was cause an upset stomach. However, a friend of mine did get a better back from using it. Nothing of the stuff I've tried to battle my T has ever worked, and I've sort of given up on that ever happening.

• Hug Hug x 2
    17. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      I bought some magnesium supplements the other day. The particular supplement I bought has been combined with tart cherry (natural melatonin source) and 5-HTP (serotonin precursor). The particular product I bought is here http://gohealthy.co.nz/products/product/go-magnesium-sleep - it might only be available in New Zealand though...

I had a beautiful, dreamless sleep last night!! So I think it really works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I had magnesium IV´s , i think about 5 times . Its weird , your blood gets hot ! or least that is the sensation.
      Did absolutely nothing for my T though .

19. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Try soaking in a warm bath with about 400g of Epsom salts (Magnesium sulphate) dissolved in it for at least 20 minutes.

Relaxing, softens the skin and the magnesium is transdermally absorbed.

• Like Like x 4
    20. BBarbara
      Curious

BBarbara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I take magnesium citrate before going to sleep, it makes me sleep longer and better..
      ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    21. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hello @RaZaH! How did you get magnesium intravenously? Was it given for tinnitus? Is that normal in your country?

24. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well, its not "normal" but was advised by a doctor for tinnitus and I tried it .

25. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      magnesium-forms-tinnitus.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I wonder if the Magnesium Threonate would help by blocking some of the NMDA receptors. Check this video out:

Glutamate Animation Scene02 NMDA Activation 072312

Anyone smart enough to know if this is a valid theory?

27. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Atlantis

Currently using threonate and mag water ;).

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Video looks a bit like diarrhea, so magnesium.... yeah, looks legit :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      LOL!! That is hilarious. I wish though we could get an expert to tell us more. Maybe I could try some magnesium threonate. It seems like if the certain NMDA receptors are at rest, the magnesium can block them. However, if the AMPA neurons are fired with glutamate it will cause the magnesium to dislodge so I may be completely ignorant here but wouldn't something that lowers glutamate help when its combined with magnesium? If so, the only issue that concerns me is side affects as we need glutamate for other functions.

30. masterhoagie

masterhoagie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      over ear xbox headset monitor. kid yelled into Mic
      jason p . let us know of your results IF you try magnesium theonate.

thanks