Magnesium

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ChrisJ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      There is a serum magnesium test to check if you have a deficiency.
      Throw in a zinc test as well, just to be sure - cause zinc has a bad rep for tinnitus, just like magnesium.
      If the tests come back ok, I don't see any point in taking any relevant supplements - both zinc and magnesium occur naturally and plentifully (is that a word? :pompous: ) in a balanced diet.

3. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I don't see anything wrong with supplementing with magnesium. It helps with sleep and muscle relaxation. I have also found it very helpful for migraines. And best of all it's safe. Magnesium is good stuff. (y)

4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I didn't say there's anything wrong with it, my point was that you can have all the magnesium you require through your diet, so why bother with supplements... Save some money as well.

However if you find it works better for you as a supplement, uh, nice :beeranimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. suze

suze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Magnesium is frequently given IV for cardiac arrythmias and to alcoholics to prevent seizures.

6. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Re getting all the magnesium we need from a diet to be fair i just dont believe that ,,,,decades ago the RDA was 800mgs!!! then when the powers that be realised youd never get it from food they cut it right back magnesium RDA 400 for men...cynical or what................... I use swansons magnesium oil and put on about 600 mgs a day there is a great book about Mag Oil by a Dr Sircus,,,for many months I had an irregular heatbeat from I believe too much exercise tried all sorts ,the first night I put on about a gra m of Mag oil about 20 sprays all over my body my heart calmed right down and after a week it was better

7. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Eat some yogurt, a couple of bananas, maybe an avocado and some spinach and you are set.
      Wholesome diarrhea food :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Undecided hello mate........well that lot is about 120mgs........carry on :)

9. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Question to anyone who supplements with magnesium. What is the best form / combination? And how long does it take to work? I understand it may help with pulsatile tinnitus but any reduction in anxiety would be good, and a bit more sleep. Thanks in advance for any views.

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @AuntSally Magnesium supplements can help repair nerve damage in the auditory pathways since it is all made up of nerves. It is usually used when the tinnitus was caused by loud noise exposure. If you are sure that you have pulsatile tinnitus then I don't think magnesium will help your sleep depravation and anxiety. You need the proper treatment which I have previously mentioned and believe is the best to help you. I know that you don't want to pursue this route but you are only making things harder on yourself.
      All the best
      Michael

11. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My T Started with a VERY loud hissing, with a background pulsating. The hissing seems to have abated apart from occasional bouts. But the pulsating remains. Often it seems softer. I think its definitely softer overnight than it was at the start but enough to keep me awake once I wake up. I try not to become anxious but it kicks in then my sleep is ruined. I've only had tinnitus five months. I feel sure its a goid idea to give things some time. Wait and see. Time is a great healer and I don't want to jump into medications too soon.Meantine I read magnesium is a good supplement to help alleviate anxiety. I had 6 hours sleep night before last and 4 last night. Half a night. My dad has dealt with terrible insomnia for many years and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm. He 79.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @AuntSally You are new to tinnitus and if you don't want to take prescription medications then consider St John's Wort. It is a natural herb and helps mild depression and anxiety. My GP tells me it's a good alternative to prescription anti-depressants where depression is mild and it has not side effects.

I have used it for quite some time and find it helpful. I am not depressed but my tinnitus can reach very severe levels, so use it as a safety net, to help prevent me getting too down. I no longer buy it from Holland & Barrett due to its increasing cost. I get if from the well known auction site starting with E. Kalms is also good available from high street chemist and is natural plants valerian http://www.kalmsrange.com/

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Yes thanks michael. I have also been thinking about st johns wort. Although I dont think I am depressed. Just anxious and tired.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @AuntSally St John's Wort will help anxiety and will help you sleep better. It takes 2 to 3 months for it to build up in the body to reach full effect.
      Michael

15. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks again. I was going to ask about your experience of it if you are using it. I think I will give it a try. Someone said somewhere it us widely prescribed in Germany. And I think I will also try magnesium too.

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @AuntSally I have been taking St John's Wort for many years. As I said, my tinnitus can reach very severe levels which go way beyond the levels that I can comfortably habituate to, when it is mild or moderate and occasionally severe. I find St John's Wort helps me through these difficult times so that I don't get too down.
      My GP also told me it is used a lot in Germany.
      Michael

17. Konstadinos

Konstadinos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (diagnosed with ETD, TMJD and Straigtened Neck)
      I remember a day when I ate a tone of russberies...the same day my tinnitus almost disspaear. Now I read that rassberies are very rich in magnesium..who knows...

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I'm not trying to argue with you as I understand your point and agree with it to an extent; i.e. in regards to eating whole foods for nutritional needs, but... Ingesting enough magnesium via whole foods isn't really viable when it comes to stifling a migraine or relaxing a sore neck or calming a cramped leg muscle. Why would I laboriously eat a pound of almonds when I can just pop a magnesium pill in that instance? It makes far more sense to just swallow a capsule of magnesium asporotate or magnesium malate or citrate or chloride, etc. to get quick relief of pain. And the best part is that magnesium is fairly benign as supplements go. The worst thing it's going to do is make me go to the bathroom, that's pretty much it.

Also, magnesium supplements are very cheap so saving money is a moot point. A bottle can easily last for months (or longer) and basically pays for itself in the long run. Magnesium is a mineral and is not prone to severe degradation so it's not like it will go bad quickly. In short, magnesium is a great supplement to have on hand. In fact, other than vitamin D it's the only supplement I keep in my larder because I know it works and I can count on it. Good stuff indeed. (y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      anyone intersted in Magnesium should have a look at Magnesium oil swansons is the cheapest out there and a great book by Dr Sircus , you spray it on your skin and its really absorbed into the body

20. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      In what quantities please?

21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Magnesium is required for gaba production ..

22. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      How long does it take to take effect? In a calming way l mean.

23. Konstadinos

Konstadinos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (diagnosed with ETD, TMJD and Straigtened Neck)
      What is this GABA production? Is it somehow related to benzodiazepines withdrawal? Any info welcome...:)

24. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      600mg a day make sure thats elemental for example oxide is a waste of time

25. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Thanks, will give it so, bought potassium instead, must have read something on here...

26. Laurent

Laurent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral media otitis
      My doctor just tell me: "Never take magnesium just before sleeping: it's activity into body prevent sleeping." I've never tried, but apparently it's the case when reading this post. Tonight I've just tried taking my magnesium about 2 hours before sleeping and its seems fine. Magnesium effect is really fine until that: it's the first week I try it but I've got the (of cours subjective) feeling that it seriously lower my T volume. And already 3 doctors told me: "You can safely try it, there is no risk expect diarrhea if you abuse of it." So I'm gonna try it a few weeks more.

27. Heather Burgoon

Heather Burgoon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown as of 11/16/2016
      I just want to chime in and throw my support for mag supplements too.

When I was pregnant last year, I had strange vibrations in my pelvis, toes, and lots of muscle twitching. I did some research and read about magnesium deficiency, I started taking supplements and it went away.

My T started in October, I started taking the supplements 2 weeks ago and it has gone from an 8 to a 3. I believe my T is due to muscle strain from carrying my children, clenching my jaw and tmj. It may not ever disappear but I feel like it's now manageable and don't notice it during the day. It quiets at night when I'm relax and when I first wake up.

28. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I agree... I tried some magnisium. I had the same reaction... Upset icky tummy... Zinc does it to me too. Iron on an empty stomach didn't end well either. But from all I have read, I have a bunch of symptoms that could be relieved by taking magnesium, if I could find a safe and effective source.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music, noise, stress, anxiety
      A couple of years before my last T increase, I'm pretty sure magnesium put an end to a long period of insomnia for me. I'm on 600mg a day now, because I guess it can't hurt, but I'm not sure it's had an effect on my T.

If magnesium deficiency and T are indeed connected, it's also interesting because in the year before my worsening, I lost 66 pounds. And weight loss is definitely connected to magnesium deficiency. And heightened cortisol.

30. garywi

garywi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      so is there a consensus on which magnesium helps with relaxation and sleep..

• Good Question Good Question x 1