My Hyperacusis Journal — Sound Therapy and CBT with Tracy Holcomb (Treble Health)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wrfortiscue, May 10, 2022.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes I did, quite few in fact and occasionally still do as my tinnitus is variable. It can be silent, mild, moderate, severe and very severe. I try not to allow setbacks to stop me losing my focus, direction and positivity. Whenever they arrive I take a backward glance to reflect on how far I have come. This gives me the inspiration to carry on because I have my life to live.
      Not necessarily but remember we are all different so you have to see what works for you. For now I think you should concentrate on wearing your sound generators to treat your oversensitivity to sound and see where this takes you. Follow the advice of your audiologist, take things slowly and don't push yourself too hard.

Michael

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Why don’t you care for silence? I would be happy with just stability at this point.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @Wrfortiscue and @Shizune.

I have built the time with my generators up gradually, minutes at a time, two minutes, then four minutes for a few days, then six minutes and so on...

I’m now two to three hours.

However, my generators do not insert in the ear. They lie outside the ear canal. The noise is extremely soft and barely audible.

Good luck with them.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Yeah I still have no idea how the nervous system works but the scratch your head and feel pain in a random area is a very good example. No idea how to pinpoint this at all.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I did 5 minutes today and my tinnitus imprint was temporary, haven't been feeling as sensitive as I thought. But then I got hit with a large beep later so I am a bit fearful of if that'll mean a setback for me.

I have 3 pairs of Peltors, all which have varying degrees of wear, so I am wearing my most worn down ones (which means least amount of protection) and am doing ok.

Also I'm considering getting some high quality speakers and testing nature sounds or pink noise videos. Have you explored that at all? I read a study about nature sounds helping a lot more than white noise.
      I've been struggling to get most doctors to take me seriously about the whole thing still, so I haven't had the work-up for any of that sadly. I did get a CT scan a few months after this all began but it was normal. I am just beginning to get back in touch with my neurologist, who sadly is in the city and always has a long wait list. I've been trying to convey the changes. I've suggested stuff like an EEG but he doesn't see it's necessary for whatever reason, but I feel like that would be at least one way to measure some nerve damage. Getting doctors to go along with anything seems so difficult. I'd love to get more advice on this if you can.

Also, tips for Magnesium? I've used glycinate and threonate, still seeing a lot of "liquid or bust" with this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hey, I’m still struggling. I have good moments but it’s very reactive. You could get high quality speakers and just try nature sounds very low. That may work for you and it’s considered sound therapy.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Whilst the quality of sound enrichment is important Shizune, keep the volume low. The idea is to have it playing in the background without being aware of it - in other words sound enrichment should not be drawing attention to itself. A person should not immerse themselves in it. Sound enrichment should always be kept below the tinnitus. This way the brain over time will be able to habituate to it and slowly push the tinnitus further into the background. This is the way white noise generators work.

When treating oversensitivity to sound or hyperacusis it is a similar thing. Sound enrichment should be set at a low level so it's not causing irritation or spikes. It is advisable to use sound enrichment at night and not sleep in a quiet room, as explained in various posts on my started threads.

A sound machine is an ideal way of delivering high quality sound enrichment. I recommend models from Sound Oasis, as they are specifically made for people with tinnitus. Alternatively, YouTube have some high quality nature sounds that can be played through speakers. The volume should always be kept low so it's not drawing attention to itself.

When used correctly sound enrichment can be immensely helpful in treating tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Shizune
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      I did get a sound machine at one point but even the lowest setting was too loud for me sadly (measured about 30 dB on my phone). Can't recall the brand though. It's hard for me to have things at a quiet level that recedes into the background and below my tinnitus just because my loudness hyperacusis is so severe. I'll check out Sound Oasis stuff anyway though. If you or anyone have any recommendations for good speakers let me know too.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Have you considered using noise reducing earplugs when using sound enrichment? The earplugs would lower sounds further. Just a suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Shizune
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Would it be counter-intuitive? I assume foam earplugs would block too much. Something like musician's earplugs, rather?
      Thought I replied to this. I was going to say I'm taking a break myself. Things are getting louder and I'm getting minimal sleep even with protection because I'm woken up so easily. Good to hear you're having good moments though and I hope the reactivity clears up soon enough.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Use noise reducing earplugs, these are not like foam earplugs. Noise reducing earplugs have an in-built filter. They reduce external sound but don't block it out completely like foam earplugs. They are available in different levels of attenuation. Perhaps start with 18 or 25 decibel reduction, this way you could have the sound enrichment very low. As your ears improve you could use earplugs with 15 decibel noise reduction and so on. They are not expensive.

They can be bought at Amazon and eBay:

Amazon.com : noise reducing earplugs

noise reducing earplugs: Search Result | eBay

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah I agree with Michael. I switched to Earasers when driving instead of foam earplugs. Foam earplugs always increase my reactivity. I understand some folks can only use foam earplugs for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      It’s not something I’ve yearned for after turning severe. As a person with severe tinnitus, I also do not want to view silence as some sort of ‘intrinsic good’ that should be desired because that could seriously hinder my ability to adapt. It enforces all the negative associations one has with their tinnitus IMO. My goal is to not get caught up in judgments. Accept the sounds, treat it as a normal non-threatening entity, starve it of attention, the brain will eventually relax its hold on the tinnitus and stop paying attention. Easier said than done of course and a lot of it depends on how one is wired to handle a difficult situation.

But stability as you said is much more important as that could go a long way in making a positive impact in managing their relationship to tinnitus. I’d imagine the lessening of reactivity for instance would drastically improve QoL and tinnitus distress tolerance for a lot of folks here (irrespective of the tinnitus volume).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Oh I definitely agree with everything you said here. I always said I want the ability to not truly care about it one bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Kevin4444

Kevin4444 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical diagnostic
      David, I'm a newcomer here with hyperacusis for only a few weeks. I've been very anxious and taking alprazolam a few nights a week for sleep. I'm interested (and, yes, worried) about your comment that you don't want the risk of these drugs "messing with my natural healing process." Can you explain what you mean and what source(s) you're referring to about this risk? I'd greatly appreciate it.

15. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Kevin4444, I don’t think this is too much of a problem but long term it is not a good idea. Having said that, I have been using Zopiclone and Oxazepam daily for 6 months. I am about to taper. So far it does not seem to be too much of a problem. I would prefer Zopiclone over Alprazolam because most likely it is not as dependent. I also take an SSRI. Long term I want to see if my body can heal better without any meds.

16. Cory_
      Inactive

Cory_ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / TMJ / Paracetamol / Alcohol / COVID vax / VSS / ????
      Yeah, I don't even care about rebuilding my sound tolerance anymore. My only goal is to not go catastrophic.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Kevin4444

Kevin4444 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical diagnostic
      Thanks, David. Yes, I only took it for about three nights (only two consecutive) because I was in a pretty overwhelmed place -- and the lowest dose (.25 mg) each time.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Update: I was stabilizing a couple weeks ago and sound tolerance was going up. COVID-19 brought that back down and now I’m even more squealy and buzzsaw lol. Got to dust myself off and get back to it with small increments.

19. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      How are you doing now? Has the COVID-19 spike settled down yet?

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah it settled down. I am managing ok with these random spikes and squealing going on. I was having actual quiet periods months ago but my quiet periods now are just softer haywire tinnitus tones lol.

• Like Like x 1
    21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Any improvements?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Can’t tolerate sound therapy for now it seems. Getting bad delayed spikes.

Will back off from sound therapy for a bit to see if I stabilize or not.

Been positive, protecting only when needing to but still worsening. Very hard to adjust to loud screeching piercing oscillating brakes but here we are lol.

Also my esophagus is closing up so bad I’m suffocating sometimes just lying down. Waiting for that miracle ;)

I’ve had a good life though, no regrets <3

• Hug Hug x 3
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Having really good days, then bad ones.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      Still continuing with sound therapy?

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Not consistently no. I find most noises just aggravate my tinnitus or my tinnitus just rides on top. I kept pushing through it and it was just aggravating my tinnitus more, so I find a quieter approach with sound therapy here and there works better for me. Acceptance, sun and exercise have been helping way more.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    26. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      Exercise was huge for me bro.

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah I’m starting to see that. I think everyone should explore any natural route if they can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Totally agree that exercise and eating healthy will help a lot. They just help with so many general bodily functions too which will be an aid.

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      So now what?

30. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm in a similar spot to you where I was gradually bringing sound back in but went too far, then got even worse and now I can't tolerate almost any sound at all.

I am going to just wait until it gets a little better again and then bring sound back in super slow again.

How are you doing now?

• Like Like x 1