My Tinnitus Is Unbearable and Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gloriaaa3, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I will make a year this month with my tinnitus.

When I first got tinnitus, it was not as bad as it is now.

Before, anything could of masked it. For example, watching tv, listening to music or any sound could of masked it but over time my tinnitus has gotten worse and worse over time. Before I could go to sleep and hear my tinnitus on a low level.

But now my tinnitus is unbearable and it is ruining my life. It is the loudest thing ever, it's a loud screeching sound with a big storm that I hear in my head and it goes into depth all the way. I can hear it over anything literally, nothing can mask it.

I'm so worried and get anxiety when I think about how worse it can get because it is not getting better, this noise is getting worse and the scary part is that I don't know what's causing it to get worse. It has ruined my life that I feel like I'm dying slowly. It is horrible, I am worried, I can not concentrate in school or in my job. I can't concentrate anywhere because of this loud screeching noise and storm that it is in my head 24/7 and that I can't mask anymore with simple music.

I'm asking if anyone knows any thing I can do that can make tinnitus better? What can't do to improve it?

Please I'm desperate for relief, doctors told me to just mask it with music at night. But my tinnitus is so loud that nothing can mask it. It is making me depressed and have full anxiety.

Does anyone experience this kind of severe tinnitus? Please help and advice. :(

• Hug Hug x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ivanskis
      Sad

Ivanskis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I caught a cold and it has never gone away
      Hello, I recently started suffering and was having anxiety attacks too. What helped me was TV. When I get good rest the volume goes down. Tonite very loud tho as I haven't slept very good. I am lucky my pitbull likes to cuddle at night. Talk shows have helped me out, just listening. Yes the volume is loud right now so gonna go to bed early. I am praying Stem Cell Therapy can bring relief in the future and started saving some money. I started suffering in mid February of this year. I also have changed some eating habits, less sugar, no coffee, eating more fruits. Lots of hugs!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Is your T noise induced? I also have unmaskable elements to my T, and hearing distortions that are very upsetting to have to hear, it is more bothersome overall than the constant tones by far, especially since it makes music/white noise sound bad, so masking is out of the question, and the devastation losing music brings psychologically/physiologically are not good... and the hearing distortions make masking gross and pointless anyways as sound shows up annoying resonant overtones on top of/in certain frequencies louder than the source sound.

I'm sorry your T is getting worse without you knowing why, do you have other symptoms? ear pain?fullness?etc? how did your t start?

As far as getting it better, I'm also searching for how to get it better. There are some supplements, and therapies people try, but I haven't found any solutions yet so I don't even know what to recommend, but generally people try supplements, LLLT, stuff like that, but it also really depends on the cause of your T. What things have you already tried to improve your T?
      I hope there is a cure soon.

• Creative Creative x 1
    4. Daveyrvancleef

Daveyrvancleef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I also can't mask my tinnitus (3 different tones). I use magnesium and 1 mg melatonin to sleep better. Besides that I have to accept it's there and that it's not a treat. Anxiety will increase tinnitus, but I can't say if that's the case with you. Also i'm experiencing better days with a diet, but I think it's due to 'happy feelings'.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Gloriaaa3
      It all depends on what caused your tinnitus in the first place? If your tinnitus was caused by loud noise exposure and not an underlying medical condtion. It is likely your tinnitus has been made worse by being exposed to loud sounds. I will assume that you have been seen at ENT and tests carried out on your hearing? If everything was okay then you should have been referred to a hearing therapist for treatment, at a later date if you were still having problems with your tinnitus.

If you have been listening to music through headphones, even at low volume or attending places were loud music is played, this could be the reason your tinnitus has got worse. Providing there isn't an underlying medical problem causing your tinnitus, the usual reason it get worse is exposure you loud sounds as I've indicated.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus shouldn't be masked as you will make your stress worse and the tinnitus will appear to be more instrusive. Always keep the "sound enrichment" slightly lower than your tinnitus. In other words, if you can't hear your tinnitus above the masking sound, your brain will never learn to habituate to the tinnitus. Another thing, if you are listening to music through headphones even at low volume, it isn't a good idea as there's a risk of making the tinnitus worse. This is mostly meant for people whose tinntius was caused by loud noise.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk @Gloriaaa3 ,

Tinnitus comes with lots of unwanted emotions like stress ,anxiety and depression and thats natural but will get better as you learn all about tinnitus and get to know whats normal for you and how loud spikes can get.
      Getting to know your sounds and strengths and learning to cope with the emotions helps you to become calmer and the anxiety etc will start to reduce and less panic.
      Tinnitus can change from one ear to both and in your head and sometimes when your tinnitus changes its best get your ears checked for a ear infection or wax .
      Tinnitus doesn't get worse over time with out a reason like age relating hearing loss, exposure to loud sounds or a virus causing secondary infections like Labyrinthitus or Menieres.

Most people do adapt to their sound and find life as good as it was before tinnitus but some people do struggle and need extra support but again will adapt at their own pace as the emotional side of tinnitus improves also with counselling and medication.

Stay positive you will find what works for you in coping with your tinnitus like I did.
      Keep posting for support as we are here around the clock ....lots of love glynis

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What do you mean by induced? And yes sometimes I have ear pain, fullness, etc but again I don't know what's causing it. My t came for no reason. I don't listen to loud music. I also have no idea what to do for it to get better, I try keeping myself busy but it is impossible when I'm hearing this screeching loud beep noise in my head all the time. I hope there is a cure soon:(

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. RandomAccess10
      Torn

RandomAccess10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Carbon Monoxide poisoning
      I'm like you, unmaskable, i also have vestibular problems too which screw my vision up. One thing i found helps is actually do stuff, just concentrate on what you are doing, also using loud masking...If it has to be loud to mask it make it loud but relaxing. Like we can fall asleep in a moving car which isn't a quiet environment. My tinnitus story is horrific, i was a pro audio designer and music lecturer, I've had to leave music behind because it actually sounds distorted now :/ I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just saying the human can survive tremendous adversity, we just have to. Try different things and see what works, we are all in the same boat here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry for your struggle with T. By 'noise induced', it means T may be caused or induced by noise exposure. It is very common for people to have T caused by loud noise/sound exposure, generally referred as 'acoustic trauma/shock'. But if you have not listened to loud concerts or loud music with earphones, then your T may be caused by other reasons. There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, extreme stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc., etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. If the cause is found, then it may be fixable and your T may fade or be lowered.

Your above quoted statement seems to have some elements or symptoms of TTTS, as beeping or morse-code like T with fullness and pain are listed as symptoms of tinnitus caused by TTTS. Try to google search TTTS (perhaps also TMJ) to read some articles up to see if you have TTTS and if you think it is a likely cause, then follow some of the suggestions to deal with this condition. Here is one such site talking about TTTS. Good luck. Take care and God bless.

http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/do-i-have-tonic-tensor-tympani-syndrome-ttts/

• Winner Winner x 3
    11. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hello @Gloriaaa3,

I'm so sorry for your struggle. You mentioned about your doctors telling you just to mask. What kind of medical exams did you have? Were you on any medication in general during this time?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
    13. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck

I'm glad someone here at tinnitustalk.com actually knows what's going on !

My Tinnitus is 99% gone. It's been over 4 years.

I WATCH ZERO TV ! I LIVE A LIFE WITH NO SPEAKERS WHATSOEVER

i don't even talk on my cell phone anymore ( talking on the cell phone i learned, was perpetuating my T. )

• Like Like x 4
    14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Mike TerMaaten
      You got T due to loud speakers so obviously now you hate those but realistically speakers at low volume have no ability to cause damage so the T increase you refer to must some kind of anxiety

Avoid all speakers that's a tough one maybe if you live deep in the countryside or bush maybe

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's hard to concentrate sometimes with my tinnitus is a loud screeching high pitch noise . It's horrible, I wish there were a cure or real treatment for it. It's overwhelming trying to mask my tinnitus as I can hear it over anything, even loud music it seems like it gets louder if I try to mask it that way.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just saw this. Tinnitus can be caused by so many things but I've never heard of TTTS, I will definetly do more reasearch about it. Thank you so much for your advice, it's really helpful. God bless!!

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had a hearing test and it came out perfect but that's about it. I've had two doctors look at my case but they said there was nothing they can do about it. Since my hearing was perfect. And I don't take any medications. Maybe for my headache sometimes or once in a while.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nope, my hearing test came out perfect which was hard for doctors to figure out why my tinnitus is so loud.

19. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Well one thing about tinnitus is for certain about 100% , the more it bothers you the worse it gets .. it is not about the tones itself, it is about your conscious programming you to be this way ..

but there is more tot this ... is also about the language we use, I still make the easy mistakes .. google some basics of NLP ..

So stop attaching ANY negative words to it .. even you can't really say I am not afraid .. or not anxious .. because the subconscious removes the logical operation and leaves the the pure association in your emotion, which is frear ..

Use purely positive words .. like wonderful noise that no one can hear except you .. I know it sounds strange, but this is how human minds work. You can even reprogram your emotion attached to anything but it takes time

Can not more agree to that ..

20. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What do you mean by 99% gone? What do you think is the reason why it hasn't left completely? I know of people that got 100% rid of their noise induced T by just being careful around LOUD noises - never going to a club or a concert. These people still watches TV.......... 99% gone but then not being able to talk on the cell without having a nasty flare up. Sounds like H to me......

21. Mike TerMaaten

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If your ears have been injured by Speakers, an over exposure to Speakers, they will let you know ( ring ) when they get any exposure to that kind of stimulus. ..and your Ears will not cease to ring if you regularly give them exposure to speakers.

A few weeks ago, for the first time IN A LONG TIME i test drove a Chrysler 300 and the radio was on at a completely low volume. THAT NIGHT.. My ears let me know that they did not approve of that ( something like two hours of weird crazy sur real noise in my ears

22. Mike TerMaaten

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flamingo.. If you think that holding a Cell Phone Speaker up to your ears is not causing damage ..then please learn

I had an iOne Max Find 5.0 cell phone. a pretty cheap phone. When i borrowed my aunt's Motorola Moto X cell phone for a day, this was before i gave up using cell phones regularly, i noticed that my ears were less adverse.

By 99% gone i mean.. my ears do not sound like they did when i was 15 years old. But on the other hand, i have no more horrible ringing. i have a small noise/sound that i can barely hear.

and of course it constantly flucuates. If i eat ANYTHING with MSG ..i have a rough night. If i have a beer, the next morning it's rougher.

If i drive in the car on the freeway for more than 10 minutes

if i run my shop vac ..even with Ear Muffs on. Learned that just this month.

If i'm in the same room with my aunt's tv on at my aunt's house

If i talk with a friend on my cell phone for more than 5 minutes or so.

No movie theaters. No resturants. My nights are QUIET.

No places with Pro Audio. So no Churches or any events/ places like that

No shooting guns.

No Car Audio

My aunt's Belkin USB HUB was putting off a NASTY HIGH PITCH NOISE we learned.

In the mornings, i put on Ear Muffs Peltor 30 NRR before i work in the kitchen

i own 2 Ear Muffs in my mobile home 1 pair for the car. 1 pair on my bike 3 pair at my aunts

7 Pair of Ear Muffs. i've labeled them all with a paint marker.

I don't really come to this Web site much now. though i've read plenty here, over the past 4 years.

IN my 3RD YEAR I CAME ACROSS THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO
      tinnitus relief and ringing in the ears help...

ok, i'm tired ..talk later

23. mpjanic

mpjanic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts
      Try neuromodulation CR therapy, it works, to reset your auditory cortex that is making the sound, that went from spontaneous to synchronized activity in the absence of the auditory stimulus. You need to find the right frequency of your tinnitus and play the adjacent frequencies, treatment lasts several months after which t. could be gone.

Example:
      Tinnitus thérapie...

Site that will generate CR therapy for custom frequencies:

http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

24. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Mike TerMaaten yup, but you still have T and you can't do anything that involves moderate sounds without your T reacting badly to it. How does that feel? Sorry for being harsh, but you don't make any sense to me. I know a musician that got noise induced T, and after onset he just continued playing with filtered plugs. His T is now GONE. Fantastic right? Everyone is different. If I talk on the phone for 5 mins on low volume nothing happens with my T, I bet I could talk 2 hours without having any worsening. My T doesn't react to food.

What are your thoughts on people that got rid of their noise induced T without following your regimen?

25. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      hi Gloria, When did your ringing start? Was it during a time you were taking medicines?
      Do you have any issues with your jaw or your neck?

Do you have any other medical issues?

• Winner Winner x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ringing started a year and a half ago, one day I just woke up and heard this ringing in my ear. I don't have any health issues but I do know that I always struggled with ear pressure in my ears especially in airplanes. I can't ride airplanes because the pain is unbearable and then can't hear for weeks. So idk what started it. I know it must be something wrong in my ear associated with the pressure and tinnitus. I wish there were more research into tinnitus.

27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus has been around of many centuries and treatment has come a long way. Many things can cause the condition, although exposure to loud noise is the most common. It would be good if you can find out what caused its onset then, a suitable treatment might be available at ENT or Audiology to see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist. Tinnitus can be management in most cases with either: medication, counselling, sound therapy, relaxation exercises including CBT Mindfulness.

Michael

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gloriaaa3

Gloriaaa3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The ENT is no help because my hearing is good and they don't know what's causing it to get this extreme. It's so bad, I get anxiety everyday when it's time to go to sleep because it's screeching loud even with the ac on full blast. Not many things can mask it and if it does it's just temporally because I have to be in the silent most of the time in my house and that's when it's extremely screeching to the point that I feel like covering my ears and that's not the reason why I get anxiety and panic attacks, it's because it's getting worse day by day for no reason. To what point can this get :( I don't want to even imagine to what point this noise will get.

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried playing nature sounds in your house during the day? It doesn't have to mask tinnitus, it just needs to provide similar sounds (to T) to distract you.

30. Mike TerMaaten

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

MY FRIEND.

IT AGGRAVATES THE DAMAGE ( EAR NERVE DAMAGE

I DON'T COME TO THIS WEBSITE MUCH ANYMORE BUT YES THERE ARE NO SPEAKERS IN MY LIFE

JUST 30 SECONDS A DAY TO ORDER MY LUNCH ON A CELL PHONE

THE POINT IS TO HAVE THE ' RINGING ' ..GO AWAY RIGHT ?

your logic is exactly why people really don't ever get over their Tinnitus ( in today's modern world