Neuroinflammation Mediates Noise-Induced Synaptic Imbalance and Tinnitus in Rodent Models

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Krolo, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      Makes sense. I remember hearing of some cases similar to this before, where some people would take a pill for something else and then this lowered.

It also would be faster to approve something already on the market for this instead of making a whole new pill and all the clinical trials. They still should work on a pill specifically for this too though, in case the ones already out aren't of much help.

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks for this update. Glad to see that. Frustrating that the study will take 2-3 years to complete, considering it's a drug already on the market.

3. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It's strange, in that clinical trial, there are two opposite histories of tinnitus :

"Tinnitus history: Onset associated with blast- and/or noise exposure. Subjects will have either recent blast or noise exposure, defined as exposure less than six months ago at time of enrollment, or historical exposure, defined as exposure 6 months or longer ago at time of enrollment."

4. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      Perhaps it might be worth trying to get out hands on Enbrel ourselves? If it's possible...

5. LostOutWest
      Conehead

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had an appointment with my neurologist yesterday and asked him about Enbrel as a potential treatment for tinnitus. He thought it sounded promising, but told me I’d need to get a rheumatologist to prescribe and manage it for me, and I’d need a diagnosis (rheumatoid arthritis would be the most common) that clearly supported it or insurance wouldn’t pay. Apparently this class of drugs is one of the most expensive in the world - often $10k per month in the US. Also noted that side effects on this one can be rough/dangerous, and it’s on the FDA Blackbox list as a result.

@Frédéric I agree the study has conflicting parameters about blast and noise, and duration.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. xyz

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too high blood pressure
      Interesting. There was in 2001 already a trial which tested Etanercept as possible hearing / tinnitus therapy. And showed promising results.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11568668

18 years for a follow up trial. Seems kind of long.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. xyz

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too high blood pressure
      Just to add: They did another trial in 2005

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15934127

which revealed that Etanercept has not the efficacy as initially expected. But I really really hope that Dr. Bao has brought some new idea to the table which was not already considered a decade ago.

• Informative Informative x 1