Neuroinflammation Mediates Noise-Induced Synaptic Imbalance and Tinnitus in Rodent Models

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Krolo, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks for this update. Glad to see that. Frustrating that the study will take 2-3 years to complete, considering it's a drug already on the market.

2. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It's strange, in that clinical trial, there are two opposite histories of tinnitus :

"Tinnitus history: Onset associated with blast- and/or noise exposure. Subjects will have either recent blast or noise exposure, defined as exposure less than six months ago at time of enrollment, or historical exposure, defined as exposure 6 months or longer ago at time of enrollment."

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Perhaps it might be worth trying to get out hands on Enbrel ourselves? If it's possible...

4. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had an appointment with my neurologist yesterday and asked him about Enbrel as a potential treatment for tinnitus. He thought it sounded promising, but told me I’d need to get a rheumatologist to prescribe and manage it for me, and I’d need a diagnosis (rheumatoid arthritis would be the most common) that clearly supported it or insurance wouldn’t pay. Apparently this class of drugs is one of the most expensive in the world - often $10k per month in the US. Also noted that side effects on this one can be rough/dangerous, and it’s on the FDA Blackbox list as a result.

@Frédéric I agree the study has conflicting parameters about blast and noise, and duration.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      Interesting. There was in 2001 already a trial which tested Etanercept as possible hearing / tinnitus therapy. And showed promising results.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11568668

18 years for a follow up trial. Seems kind of long.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just to add: They did another trial in 2005

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15934127

which revealed that Etanercept has not the efficacy as initially expected. But I really really hope that Dr. Bao has brought some new idea to the table which was not already considered a decade ago.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’ve read about TNF-Alpha being responsible for the generation of tinnitus before, but using medications to suppress its expression is news to me. Does anyone have any idea as to what is the medication these researchers are using?

Here’s the paper, but it doesn’t mention what they used. https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3000307

Here’s a list of them, apparently? Anyone tried any of these?

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/tnf-alfa-inhibitors.html

edit: I actually have ulcerative colitis so I could realistically be put on one of these drugs. I’m going to ask my GP about it.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have UC and am going to the quickest doctor available to give me remicade, simponi or humira.

ACTUAL PERTINENT QUESTION: if tinnitus is partially a product of auditory cortex inflammation, would removing this inflammation with a powerful TNF-A inhibitor cause the tinnitus to cease regardless of whether the case is chronic or acute? Or is the idea that chronic inflammation has already wrought all the havoc it needed to on the auditory system?

9. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      I’m confused, does the inflammation persist for life or go away on its own? What level of exposure is needed to cause the inflammation? If my hearing is still normal, am I probably ok? I know my middle/inner ear is swollen but I’m confused about what the brain mechanism is.

10. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I missed where the auditory cortex is inflammed. Can someone link me the pertinent passage?

11. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Although recent studies indicate that hearing loss causes neuroinflammation in the auditory pathway, the mechanisms underlying hearing loss–related pathologies are still poorly understood. We examined neuroinflammation in the auditory cortex following noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) and its role in tinnitus in rodent models. Our results indicate that NIHL is associated with elevated expression of proinflammatory cytokines and microglial activation—two defining features of neuroinflammatory responses—in the primary auditory cortex (AI).

12. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Nevermind, found the original paper:

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3000307

It's really interesting because they suggest that microglial activation is the source of the inflammation and that GABA/Glutamate imbalance allows it to persist (i wonder if this is at least partly why GABA agonist drugs can hinder neuroplasticity).

What's also interesting is that injecting TNF alpha directly into the Auditory Cortex causes a much more mild tinnitus than noise exposure and the authors basically admitted that the subcortical inflammation (ear through brainstem) which also involved TNF alpha was much more of a significant factor. This actually means to me that tinnitus is not "in the brain" (unless brainstem is included in that statement) but microglial activation can exacerbate it and Neuro transmitter normalization would be part of the plasticity puzzle once underlying causes are addressed.

13. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think here is a good summary of the paper from Bao:

https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/brain-inflammation-identified-potential-target-treat-tinnitus

They say inflammation may be the root cause of T. But it is not that easy to just take a good TNF-a inhibitor and then we are T free. Then we would have heard of all the rheumatoid atritis patients who are T free after taking these meds. I hope they do another trial with some animals who's auditory system is more human like. Since healing T in rats many drugs have done and unfortunately never did these results translate to humans.

14. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      Since the inflammation is in response to damage to the nerves in the ears, would correcting this damage eliminate the inflammation? Or would it just keep going as a continuous process?

15. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If I'm reading it right, the full paper seems to imply that, by itself, inflammation in the auditory center only produces a more mild tinnitus and it also says the GABA/Glutamate imbalance perpetuates the imbalance (in the brain, but it also does this in the cochlea) so my guess is as long as you aren't messing with your receptors too much (I'm a little worried about long term benzos here but maybe I'm off base), neuro plasticity should happen and your receptors normalize and tinnitus should resolve.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I've done a cytokine panel in Australia.

It demonstrated my TNF-a is elevated.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope that's the road I'm on. Recently I have started taking a small amount of clonazepam (thanks family members) when I start spiking really bad and it cuts it by like 50%, and fullness also goes away. I really feel like perpetual inflammation is the root cause of my tinnitus which was triggered by a night of drinking too much at high altitude (extreme vasodilation?) and who knows what damage that did, but not enough to affect my hearing and the tinnitus SHOULD be resolving. It's like it tries to but then comes back.

• Like Like x 1
    18. mikki_

mikki_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? / High frequency hearing loss? / Who knows?
      The side effects of the TNF inhibition will not be worth it for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNF_inhibitor

I wonder how the elevated TNF levels fits with the idea that bimodal simulation can be a cure. Does bimodal stimulation reduce TNF levels or do they just reduce the effects of high TNF levels?

19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Are you speculating or have your read that bimodal stimulation impacts on TNF-a?

20. mikki_

mikki_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? / High frequency hearing loss? / Who knows?
      Speculating. They seem like two contradictory ideas. But it might be that bimodal stuff just inhibits neuronal activity in other way. But that would mean that one needs to stay with bimodal for the rest of the life because otherwise elevated TNF levels would bring tinnitus back.

21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Any updates?

• Like Like x 1
    22. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I did a cytokine panel that is able to measure serum TNF.

23. Oceanick
      Inspired

Oceanick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics
      Not sure if this has been posted before, but there is currently a TNF-alpha trial in phase 2 on blast induced tinnitus ongoing. Primary end date sept 2022.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04066348

S
      eems that this etanersept injectable biologic has been on the market for 20 years already. It’s passed human safety trials, with main side effects being a decreased ability to fight infection as you’re essentially dampening your immune system.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Have you tried low dose naltrexone, in an attempt to modulate TNF-alpha?

I've always wondered why my tinnitus fluctuates so much with stable hearing loss?

Is there such a thing as cochlear inflammation? Pardon my ignorance.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    25. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Did you manage to get a hold of it?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    26. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I know there are older threads on here regarding Resveratrol.

Just wondered if anyone has thought to try it as it is meant to be capable of deactivating microglial cells that turn on TNF; leading to neuroinflammation.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    27. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      If this poster is still about, which TNF-alpha inhibitor were you taking if you don't mind me asking?

28. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Baclofen.

29. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      TNF-α Treatment of Blast-Induced Tinnitus

The related study is recruiting as per yesterday for noise-induced tinnitus.

It is changed from blast-induced tinnitus to noise-induced tinnitus.

Etanercept is the medicine. Phase 2 study with repurposing of drug - so no Phase 3 required.

Another one ongoing!

• Like Like x 4
    30. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      I wonder do they have some anecdotal evidence of Enbrel providing a benefit - Enbrel is widely used by people with chronic rheumatoid arthritis and other immune related inflammatory diseases. Some portion of them must have tinnitus.

I took Enbrel for 10 years, before going into remission and haven't needed it for almost 5 years now. This was pre-severe tinnitus. In fact, I still have a couple months supply in the fridge but it's past its 'use by' date by a couple of years so not sure the wisdom of trying it now!

• Like Like x 1