New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. hta

hta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fell Asleep with headphones, followed by acoustic trauma
      There are some YouTube videos where Dr. Susan Shore explains that basically all tinnitus is from some kind of hearing loss, either hidden or otherwise. Basically the fusiform cells are overactive because of the hearing loss, and her device aims calming those cells down from their hyperactive state, thereby lowering tinnitus. Somatic tinnitus in her point of view is caused by some kind of hearing loss, which can be caused by noise.

My tinnitus was caused by noise and I can alter it very prominently with my jaw, etc.

I hope this device works. I can't wait to see the results from Phase 2.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. BadNeighbors

BadNeighbors Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise/construction
      Thanks for the helpful responses. I never realized that clenching my jaw would change the noise a bit.

Also, I went back a few pages and I saw the discussion of Dr. Shore's upcoming talk. According to her clinical trial listing, it was set to end on 2022-07-06. I work in the social sciences and finishing a study in July and presenting my tentative conclusions 5 months later wouldn't be hard at all.

Moreover, in the social sciences, we often present tentative findings/conclusions at conferences. I've presented at over 15 academic conferences and the majority of my presentations were on papers that I hadn't finished yet. I don't know the rules/norms of her field, but for the social sciences a paper doesn't need to be in its final form to be presented.

Finally, failures are just as important as successes. I tell my students finding out what doesn't work is important. Our hypothesis being wrong isn't a failure, instead it is the creation of important knowledge. The only failure is when we do poor research and get invalid or unreliable data/or misinterpret our data. I hope Dr. Shore's hypothesis was correct and we see amazing results, but even if her hypothesis wasn't right, I feel that we will at least have good data/analysis that will move us a step closer to relief.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. Nick47

Nick47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      As I understand, Dr. Shore's device works for those with no to mild hearing loss at the tinnitus frequencies?

4. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Her clinical trial isn’t necessarily the same as commercial use but...
      • No greater than a mild hearing loss up to 6 kHz, and no greater than a moderate hearing loss at the tinnitus frequencies.

• Like Like x 1
    5. dj_newark

dj_newark Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cool. That sounds like I would qualify. I have only mild to moderate mid-range hearing loss, also known as a "cookie bite" hearing loss, and then another moderate drop off in the higher frequencies of around 13,000-14,000 Hz. And presumably that's where the majority of my tinnitus lives.

I can easily modulate and change the sound of my tinnitus by clenching my jaw and other head and neck movements. So it's my great hope that this device will work for me!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      I assume it was Dr. Susan Shore's 2017 trial that McMaster University in Canada was working with Michigan University, but I heard Dr. Larry Roberts passed away so not much went on with it...

7. BadNeighbors

BadNeighbors Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise/construction
      I was going through her proposal and I have a few questions that some of you might know the answers to (it is hard to read these when I'm just hoping that this will work and it'll potentially work for me).

1) What exactly does "no greater than a mild hearing loss up to 6 kHz" mean for her study? Did those in the study need have perfect hearing below 6 kHz? What if the tinnitus is likely related to mild hearing loss at frequencies higher than 6 kHz?

2) Does our tinnitus need to ring, hiss, scream only at the 5 kHz level for this to work? It looks like she is testing specifically those whose tinnitus rings, hisses, screams, etc. at 5 kHz.

Reversing Synchronized Brain Circuits With Targeted Auditory-Somatosensory Stimulation to Treat Phantom Percepts

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. kingsfan
      Mellow

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-20 / 10-20-20 / 3-31-21 / 5-23-21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I'm pretty sure you have to be able to hear the audio tones for this to work, so no more than moderate hearing loss is a criteria to keep the data clean.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Faff

Faff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Generally that would mean that when you look at the audiogram, at no point before 6 kHz does the measured loss exceed something like 30 to 40 dBHL for 'mild' loss, and 40-55 dBHL for 'moderate' loss at around the tinnitus frequency. Thresholds vary, I'd have to double check what they defined it as.

Keep in mind that these were criteria for maximising the useful information in their research, it's not necessarily the threshold for treatment being viable.

EDIT:

The consent form specifies:
      No greater than a moderate hearing loss at the tinnitus frequencies (≤55 dB HL) and no greater than a moderate hearing loss (≤50 dB HL) from 125 – 6000 Hz.​

10. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Any old timers (I'm looking at you @linearb) know how long it took Dr. Shore to announce results after her first study closed?

11. Josh NH USA

Josh NH USA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely noise exposure
      For what it is worth, Dr. Shore’s prior paper was published in March 2018, whereas I believe the preceding study results came in May 2017. See below links.

Auditory-somatosensory bimodal stimulation desynchronizes brain circuitry to reduce tinnitus in guinea pigs and humans

Auditory-somatosensory Stimulation to Alleviate Tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. @dam

@dam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/22
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2