New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Harder Calm
      Frustrated

Harder Calm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/TMJ
      If I understood correctly, both by disturbed behavior (and being less distressed after treatment) as well as brain scans.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      I have a dominant high-pitch intrusive frequency plus barrage of other stuff. The barrage of other stuff I was habituated to for 25 years and it was honestly not problematic at all (habituation first time round took about 2-3 years).

Pure speculation, but it may be the case that this device only needs to tackle a single dominant frequency for natural habituation to anything that may remain being much easier for people.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi all,

I'm posting the lab clinician's response that I’m still trying to decipher as a layman.

Please feel free to offer your input but at a least from what I gather it seems he was more confident that the focus on the DCN as the driver of tinnitus activity was more significant to benefiting users than the pitch match, tone or cause of tinnitus. Again I realize this was a very oversimplified response.

1B24729F-79D3-4D9E-912C-53C4A7C8F4F2.png

543F5A4D-BC2D-4974-B7E7-598EB42B3031.png

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I've having trouble finding that data line in her study. All I see are aggregated data in the paper. Can you point me to the 60% benefitting citation?

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      • Like Like x 5
    6. LGuapo

LGuapo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As someone with a piercing tinnitus tone above 12 kHz, I'm disappointed that their device only goes that high. I appreciate that they're hopeful that it will help those with higher pitched tones, but the fact that they do tone matching at all tells me it's likely an important factor.

I don't understand why they say producing tones above 12 kHz is difficult, though. In my experience in the audio field, producing low frequencies is much more of a challenge than high. I can understand why hearing aids don't function at high frequencies, since there is need for feedback and echo cancellation. But in this case, I'd think it would just be a straight forward case of sound generation.

7. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
    8. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      That was the only human trial other than the one that is ongoing.

9. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      60% of people improving doesn't seem too promising to me. I thought almost everyone had their tinnitus reduced in half... I read that on here before.

10. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I guess we’ll find out in a few months. 60% is exactly 60% more than what we have now.

That being said I’d love to see the individual results. Does anyone know where that info exists? It must be in a presentation somewhere. I mean it was only 20 folks, it could easily fit on a single scatter plot.

I wonder if that 60% represents those with statistically significant reduction but maybe smaller improvements were evident in others.

I thought having read through the paper that the 12 dB reeducation was an average across the groups. Does that mean that 40% had no reduction but those that did respond have an even greater than 12 dB response?

In the end this is all just conjecture to pass the time until we get some real answers later this year.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Survivor234
      Hurting

Survivor234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced/Headphones
      You should note that whether you get any sort of reduction or not depends on the amount of time you spend using the device. For some, they see results immediately after using it while, for others, it takes several weeks. The trial in question was only for four weeks. This new trial I believe goes up to six weeks of use.

I think that, considering the variance in the amount of time you need to use the device, it is possible that it takes some time for your neurons to be reset. And the amount of time may differ depending on each individual's tinnitus, age, pitch, etc.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi all,

For those well versed in the science, do any of you know if “somatic” tinnitus also accounts for neurological based tinnitus (autoimmune like MS, noise induced)? I believe I had seen the stat somewhere on the boards that referenced 80% of tinnitus sufferers can modulate somatically, so I’d assume that could include some neurological sufferers as well for this device?

@Survivor234, correct me if I’m wrong but I thought you had inquired about this for users who are noise induced/neurological but cannot modulate their tinnitus?

Again I know all this is speculation just looking for insight from folks for questions that linger in a tortured mind.

13. Bjjwal

Bjjwal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is already starting to sound like Lenire 2.0...

14. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      Please don't compare Susan Shore to Lenire. Susan has been studying tinnitus for 20 years and she is really trying to helps us. Lenire only cares about making money, they didn't even do a real clinical trial like Susan Shore is doing.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Bjjwal

Bjjwal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not saying that Susan Shore isn't trying to help people. The fact that she responds to people's emails so quickly shows to me that she does care.

But seriously, how many million dollars in funding and the best we can get is a 20 person study with only 11 showing ANY improvement? That doesn't sound any better than Lenire's numbers.

I really hope that Shore has been able to refine the efficacy of her device over the last few years, otherwise I see the crash of a huge hype train and a lot of disappointed people.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Bjjwal

Bjjwal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is what I thought as well.

17. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Well it's 65% if that helps.

• Like Like x 3
    18. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      A clinical trial is going on at the moment with 400 participants, source:

Reversing Synchronized Brain Circuits With Targeted Auditory-Somatosensory Stimulation to Treat Phantom Percepts

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
    19. Bjjwal

Bjjwal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    20. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      IMHO, the small sample-size is one reason why I would not join those who already claimed matter-of-factly that this thing was already proven to work. This new trial should be much more definitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      As learned through Lenire, the most important factor is what constitutes "improvement". If it's barely "statistically significant" then it's little better than placebo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      While you're not entirely wrong; we don't have any other options right now so barely statistically significant is better than nothing.

Electrical stimulation is the most effective treatment for tinnitus to date, be it cochlear implantation or iterative electrical stimulation. I see this device as in the iterative category and it could bring some relief.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      And with Lenire the lack of a control makes the whole question of change beyond placebo impossible to discern.

24. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      Neuromod have stated that 86% of participants who undertook the treatment in their trial saw an improvement. This stat only has meaning if all the participants in this 86% had a significant difference from a control that was above the MCID for the scale they used (which they didn't) and there was a control (which there wasn't!, or at least there wasn't an arm which they stated was a control in advance).

MCID - Minimal clinically important difference

• Like Like x 1
    25. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
    26. Survivor234
      Hurting

Survivor234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced/Headphones
      @IntotheBlue03, you should also keep an eye on Johnson and Johnson's new drug. It looks like the big-wigs are starting to pay attention to us.

27. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Thanks @Survivor234, definitely watching the pharma space (I actually work at Merck but not in the research end) but looks like nothing populating in 2022 outside of Susan's potential release I assume?

28. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Whether this is available in 2022 or not is something we don't know yet, but it is the only treatment I know that is this promising that even has a chance of becoming available in 2022.

For what it is worth I'd be surprised to see this in our hands in 2022 (will it be confirmed safe and effective in the current trial, ending in April, how quickly does the FDA approve it once the data is in, and how quickly it can be manufactured and put into the audiologist distribution chain?) but if everything goes well I would not be shocked to see it become widely available in 2023.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Jason Ranovik

Jason Ranovik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just FYI, the recruitment for the Phase II trial is now closed (and has been for a while, seems like), which means they're evaluating their last round of participants. Data on the 400-participant trial should be out in the next 3 - 6 months, which will be far more useful for evaluation than the 20-participant Phase I trial. Just hang tight for the real data before jumping to any conclusions about its efficacy.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    30. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      Final Study completion date moved forward from June to April.

Estimated Primary Completion Date: April 2022
      Estimated Study Completion Date: April 2022

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3