Newby

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gwenclapton57, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Gwenclapton57

Gwenclapton57 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Chronic a month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age or stress
      Hi I'm new to this forum. I need to talk to people who understand. I've had chronic tinnitus for the past month. Please help

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @Gwenclapton57, and welcome.

There are a number of things that you will find here, and a number of great posts that should help you not only learn more about tinnitus but will help give you hope.

@Michael Leigh wrote the following, very informative post on tinnitus, treatment options, coping mechanisms and habituation.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

Many have found that maintaining a positive attitude is very helpful in coping with tinnitus.

@billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Michael Leigh wrote the following, excellent post on the importance of positivity: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/
      and the following on negativity and tinnitus
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

And, as your tinnitus is fairly recent, you have a much better chance at recover that you probably think you do.

@Bill Bauer wrote the following post discussing studies that show a fairly high recovery rate from tinnitus
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/

But, the most important thing I can say here is that you have found this forum. It is filled with caring, compassionate, sympathetic people who not only understand what you are going through, but are willing to help you when you feel you have no strength left to deal with this despite their own suffering. Tinnitus makes many people feel isolated and alone, especially when those close to them cannot understand just how debilitating it can be. We understand. There are always people here who are willing to help, be supportive, and give you honest advice. You don't have to go through this alone, you have a large community here who will help you.

I wish you well in your journey, please keep us updated on your progress and reach out when ever you need help, we will be here.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gwenclapton57

Gwenclapton57 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Chronic a month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age or stress
      Hiya. Thank you. What a beautiful and welcoming response. It's so important to not feel isolated. I'm going to try everything you've suggested. I'm a positive person but this is challenging this. Anxiety is so cruel and self destructive because it starts a horrific cycle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Welcome!
      We're here to listen, and we know what you're talking about.

Good luck!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A big welcome from me too ..
      We are here to support you around the clock and make some friends along the way too!
      Love glynis

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Try to keep positivity alive in your life as before. Don't let T rob you of your joy in life. T will be a struggle initially but over time you will win the battle. Try to learn from the success stories how to cope or win over T. They will also help you relax and have hope. I wrote my story 'From Darkness to Light...' to share some helpful strategies. If you have time, check it out.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Hopefully your anxiety level will go down. Try to take some herbal supplement to help out the anxiety. Here is a site with good recommendations. Take good care. God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

7. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It is very cruel, and can lead to self destructive behavior (I, personally engage n self-harm). But, as you hopefully are experiencing yourself, this forum has a lot of wonderful people, some have already responded to you here. And we are always here when your anxiety starts to get the best of you.

And @glynis (hi glynis) is right, people are here around the clock and you will probably end up making friends here.

I'm glad you found us and I look forward to reading your success story one day soon.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Silent Lucidity
      No Mood

Silent Lucidity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As you can see, you’re not alone. Can you tell us a little more about your tinnitus? Have you had a hearing test yet? Is it in one ear or both?
      Also there are some great success stories to read along with others and their story.
      Let us know how we can help

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gwenclapton57

Gwenclapton57 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Chronic a month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age or stress
      Hi love this forum thank you. I've had tinnitus on and off for a long time, but it went away. About 2 months it felt like a swarm of bees were in my head and it didn't go away. I felt very depressed. I had my hears checked and was told that I have slight hearing loss and given hearing aids which helps. Mine is props due to age. I'm 57 but my dad had it as well. I'm taking Ginkco Biloba, Betahistine and sertraline, the later for depression.

10. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Gwenclapton57 , I am glad that the doctor was able to provide help. I'm also glad that the Ginko, Betahistine and sertraline are helping. Has the sertraline helped a lot with your depression? I'm considering heading back in to counseling for mine and, where medication has helped in the past, I am considering trying it again. Are there any side-effects (in particular, feeling like your thinking is slower) that I should be concerned with?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gwenclapton57

Gwenclapton57 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Chronic a month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age or stress
      @Kolisar I haven't found any side effects with Sertraline. It makes some people sleepy. Counselling is always a good idea. I've got a busy lifestyle, and am keeping a positive mindset. Tinnitus is horrendous but I'm being kind to myself. Sound therapy helps when it gets too much. Watch Chris Martin from Coldplay on youtube who has tinnitus. He's so upbeat with some great advise. I wish you well and thank you

• Like Like x 1