Otonomy OTO-313 — Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Michael Larsen, Jan 9, 2018.

1. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      Great News! Wishing you and Trevor the best. Thank you for your bravery. I hope it only continues to get better for you.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      @Sentinel, how are you feeling today?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    3. Sentinel
      No Mood

Sentinel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late November/Early December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really epic hobbies
      Tinnitus has since returned to baseline and stayed that way.

I'm fine I guess.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well, it’s good news that you’re not having side effects or doing worse.

Let’s hope you got the real deal and it does something.

You have noise-induced tinnitus from a loud hobby or something...?

Wishing you a good day.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Ali.sy

Ali.sy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      We need posts from others to assess if it works or not. Maybe you got the placebo.

6. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      No, this is all anecdotal. We need to wait for the trial results to know if it works.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Sentinel
      No Mood

Sentinel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late November/Early December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really epic hobbies
      Guns and music most probably.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      I'm kind of answering myself here, but on the topic of the source for tinnitus being central (brain) or peripheral (inner ear), on the first page of this thread @Contrast says:

Losing a limb and losing hearing causes a lot less nerve activity not more.

I.e. indicating that it is the brain that creates the tinnitus sound with no input from the inner ear.

However, this is what Otonomy says about tinnitus:

"Tinnitus is often caused by cochlear injury due to excessive noise, physical trauma, persistent ear infection or exposure to an ototoxic agent, leading to over-activation of auditory nerve fibers and the perception of noise in the absence of an external stimulus."

https://investors.otonomy.com/news-...ates-phase-2-clinical-trial-oto-313-tinnitus/

So it sure seems the inner ear is involved (good news for treatment possibilities).

Maybe it is damaged (not dead) nerve fibre that causes the tinnitus, whereas dead nerve fibers wouldn't cause tinnitus at all ("just" hearing problems) since there is no input to the brain? Again, this is just me guessing here.

At least it's comforting to see Otonomy listing problems in the inner ear as a (one) source for tinnitus. I guess they wouldn't be testing this drug if it would be unlikely treatment of the inner ear could reduce or eliminate tinnitus. :)

• Like Like x 2
    9. Justin Mills

Justin Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      But OTO-313 doesn't do anything to restore hearing. It's like treating the symptoms but not the underlying problem. Even if it did get rid of tinnitus (which would be great), it wouldn't restore hearing clarity and address hidden hearing loss. OTO-413 and Pipeline Therapeutics' drugs appear much more promising as it focuses on reversing cochlear synaptopathy which would improve hearing clarity (word in noise) and as an incidental effect, reduce or eliminate tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      All those hearing loss treatments aren't even being tested for tinnitus & hyperacusis, how are you so sure they will help?

11. Justin Mills

Justin Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Because the regenerative treatments treat the underlying source of tinnitus which is most commonly damage to cochlear synapses, and sometimes from damage to hair cells or a combination of both.

See:

Hidden Hearing Loss: The Effects of Synaptopathy

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That’s because there is an assumption that if you fix the underlying issues in the ear such as IHCs, OHCs and synapses then that should reduce tinnitus and hyperacusis.

We have no proof but once these drugs succeed in the clinical trials then we would know if these drugs work at reducing tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I’d rather have silence than constant sound if it was up to me. For people who have severe and profound hearing loss, it would take a drug or any miracle to reverse the hearing loss to gain sound. I see a tinnitus cure coming before hearing restoration. In the end I’d take any fix, let me know where it’s at.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      There seems to be some confusion about peripheral vs central. Tinnitus can (rarely) be a central only issue. It can be a previous and permanent peripheral loss and a permanent (as long as the peripheral loss is there) central response. It can be be a previous and permanent peripheral loss and an ongoing inflammatory issue (usually at the synapses and NMDA receptor sites) combining for a central symptom.

Subjective, sensorineural tinnitus is clearly a central symptom, and surely, restoring lost peripheral input should greatly improve it, if not totally cure it with time. I'm sure there's variability based on the person. For example, brains that need perfect input may need a total restoration in peripheral input and a reduction in inflammation in order to cure tinnitus.

As far as what OTO-313 does, it is an NMDA receptor antagonist (so it reduces excitation). It is designed for acute cases because that's when receptor inflammation is the most likely to be an issue. However, it may work for chronic cases where the tinnitus is greatly impacted by inflammation.

I have a deep curiosity in what it will do for autoimmune-induced tinnitus (and maybe even loudness hyperacusis) because these diseases have chronic inflammation as a core driver of the disease.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
    15. star-affinity
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the explanation. It's just that there were mentions from @Hazel and others in the comments on the Otonomy Tinnitus Talk Podcast interview that eventually even fixing the damage in the cochlea (if that is the source for the tinnitus) might not be enough to get rid of the perception, since the brain (auditory cortex?) also needs a "fix" after the tinnitus has "settled" – whatever that means and how it happens I have no idea.

Fixing the brain to me seems more difficult than taking care of what's in the cochlea, so I hope a synapse and/or hair cell fix will be enough to get rid of the tinnitus. :)

16. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

They were wrong, fixing the issue fixes the symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Rudedog205

Rudedog205 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure? Possible concussion? Covid Vaccine? TMJ?
      Question about this since I am pretty new to the world of hyperacusis. Could there possibly be a brain calibration component on top of healing the damage? Sort of like how you can't go back to normal after having surgery to repair an injury and need to do physical therapy. I was wondering if you would need to slowly ease yourself back into sound to recalibrate your brain after the damage is healed as to not shock the system so to speak for the hyperacusis to be reduced.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Maybe, but first you need to fix the underlying issues. For example, tinnitus may reduce after getting these drugs injected in to you ear but may not get rid of it completely unless using something like Lenire after treatment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    19. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      Let’s just hope when we fix the ear, we fix/diminish tinnitus. Wish there was more funding for these ventures. ATA has raised 6 million in 4 decades; it’s inversely proportional to the ailment both in proportion and toll.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. star-affinity
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great if that's the case! :)

But do you mean it has been confirmed?

21. Exit

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Nothing is confirmed regarding tinnitus, as we all know...

But it sounds logical enough.

Cutting the auditory nerve won’t help.

A study showed people got tinnitus from earplugs. And it went away when they stopped using earplugs!

And all those people with stress-, neck- or just plain old earwax-induced tinnitus! Nearly 100% of those cases recover.

So why wouldn’t restoring hearing fix noise-induced tinnitus!

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Justin Mills

Justin Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Yes of course. Assuming you have for example noise-induced hearing loss then regenerating the damaged synapses and/or hair cells would reverse the tinnitus as well. Although as @Zugzug pointed out tinnitus can also arise (rarely) as a central only issue in those situations it may not help. But for the vast majority of situations people have cochlear damage from external insults, and therefore regenerating the damaged cells would unsurprisingly correct the symptoms (tinnitus and loss of hearing and clarity perceptions, word recognition in loud environments).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Lol what?

Do you mean: ear infections from dirty earplugs or earwax buildup from using earplugs?

Just regularly used earplugs without any ill side effects surely have never been found to cause tinnitus, have they?

24. Exit

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It was @GBB who posted that I believe.

Yes, a very small study, where participants had to use an earplug 24/7 in one ear for 2 weeks.

After 10 days or so 70 % reported tinnitus like symptoms.

It went away after they stopped using the earplug.

I just read a new post on Tinnitus Talk today, from a person who have had tinnitus for 30 years. Now he got hearing aids, and after he takes them off, his tinnitus is very minimal until next morning!

• Like Like x 2
    25. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Justin, I think the important thing for everyone is to eliminate tinnitus, it doesn't matter if you hear perfectly if you have tinnitus and it doesn't matter if you don't hear well if you don't have tinnitus; that's what hearing aids are for.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Ohh ok... So I saw a study where they put people into a complete soundproof room and every single one of them experienced tinnitus. So earplugs don't actually cause tinnitus, imagine that...

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Justin Mills

Justin Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      See this is were I somewhat differ. I think we've all waited long enough and we want a regenerative therapy that will restore clarity perception, and hearing, and as an incidental effect of that, eliminate tinnitus. Frankly, I think we may enjoy the benefits of completely regenerating our hearing just as much as we would be happy to eliminate tinnitus.

Sure OTO-313 can provide relief by reducing or eliminating the symptom of cochlear damage from external insults, but for me that's enough. I want to see both, restoration of hearing quality, and as an incidental effect of restoring cochlear function and health, eliminating tinnitus.

I think things should be done the right way. But at least OTIC is doing this with OTO-413.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    28. Justin Mills

Justin Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      That's probably because these people had extremely mild damage to their cochlea such that tinnitus only appeared after prolonged periods of silence, that wouldn't be perceptible otherwise in day to day life. Someone who let's say has taken very good care of themselves, never forgot to wear earplugs at a club/concert or took ototoxic antibiotics, probably would not experience any tinnitus even wearing earplugs for two weeks.

29. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Anything getting in the way of hearing can cause tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      These type of people don't exist from a practical standpoint. All people have some level of wear and tear in their cochleas, except for maybe a newborn baby. Enough deprivation of sound via the prolonged use of earplugs causes the brain to create the "phantom noise."

• Agree Agree x 2