Otonomy OTO-413 — Treatment of Hidden Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Michael Larsen, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      They don't know - they're studying it right now to determine that.

• Like Like x 2
    2. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      One thing is if it is the case that doctors see that they can make money off of something that they are currently not doing, then there tends to be every chance that they'll take it on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So any idea how long these studies take to achieve some results that they can give a definite answer to? I'm just extremely impatient to try anything that may help me in any respect.

4. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Offhand, I believe they're recruiting right now for a trial evaluating it for people who have had tinnitus for over 6 months (vs the initial trial with onset within 6 months). So that trial has to run its course.

Others here might be better qualified at putting an actual timeline on it, but I've copy/pasted a paragraph from their website below discussing it.

I too am extremely impatient to try anything that may help... we take it day by day knowing that there are drugs in the pipeline that may finally help and can't arrive soon enough!

• OTO-313: Phase 2 trial design to be based on the successful Phase 1/2 trial, and initiation is expected in the first quarter of 2021. In July 2020, Otonomy reported positive top-line results from a Phase 1/2 trial of OTO-313 in patients with unilateral tinnitus of at least moderate severity. This trial demonstrated a positive clinical response for a single intratympanic injection of OTO-313 using the Tinnitus Functional Index (TFI) that was correlated with tinnitus loudness, tinnitus annoyance and patient global impression of change measures. Based on continued analysis of this data, input from key opinion leaders, and feedback from the FDA in a Type C meeting, Otonomy intends to evaluate the same dose for OTO-313 in a Phase 2 trial that will enroll an enriched unilateral tinnitus patient population. To enrich the study population, Otonomy intends to exclude patients with severe hearing loss and increase the minimum TFI score required for entry. The company will also expand the unilateral patient population eligible for enrollment by increasing the time from tinnitus onset, and will extend the observation period to assess durability of the treatment effect.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and would imagine all of us with tinnitus have experienced that to some extent.

However, fundamentally, I believe that doctors want to help their patients, and I've talked to a number of them who are very excited about the potential of all these drugs in the pipeline, particularly regenerative medicine which stands to revolutionize treatment for many conditions.

And if you do encounter a Debbie Downer who doesn't seem all that interested in treating you, and doesn't seem all that interested in the innovative treatments on the horizon, particularly if one becomes available, I'd fire that doctor and find one who is!

• Agree Agree x 6
    6. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      That's a huge bummer that they are only recruiting >6 months group. I was looking all over to see if I could get into the trial. I'm about 40 minutes away from their headquarters.

7. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      To clarify, I don't believe it's an over-6-months-ONLY group. It's just that, compared to the previous trial, which excluded people who had tinnitus for more than 6 months, this one is open to them as well.

But my understanding is that it continues to be open to people who've had tinnitus for less than 6 months. I'm not positive, but I believe this is the case.

So you would likely qualify (assuming you meet their other criteria).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ohhhh I think I'll try contacting them then, or is there a place online to sign up?

9. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd like to get into the trial as well, but seeing I live in Australia and the trial in is the U.S with the current circumstances, just getting to the trial, if I was accepted, might be a tad tricky right now. Also the ClinicalTrials.gov site lists the current recruitment status as "completed".

10. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      You're probably looking at the previous trial, which is completed, not the current one, which is just starting up and might not be posted yet.

11. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      There's a couple of ways to approach this. One is to contact the company and ask them for information about joining the trial, and they should point you in the right direction.

The other is companies like this typically partner with doctors and medical facilities, and if you connect with one of those, they too can start the process. The company, in fact, might just point you to one of those facilities.

I don't see the new study posted yet on the gov't website, but if you look at the study they just completed, and scroll down, there's a section called "Contacts and Locations." I wouldn't be surprised if this information will be similar or the same:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03918109

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the help.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Ask Otonomy

As mentioned before, the Tinnitus Talk Podcast will be interviewing Otonomy. This is hoped to happen in early 2021.

You have until the end of 2020 to submit your questions below (click the "Start" button).

Want to share this questionnaire with fellow patients? You can do so by ➡️ sharing this direct link.

TIP: In the text fields SHIFT + ENTER creates a line break, and ENTER submits the question.

Update: we're no longer accepting questions. Thanks if you submitted yours!

• Like Like x 17
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      Otonomy's stock is up 11% since yesterday afternoon. It is unusual for them to jump like this. Someone on Twitter was saying a bunch of $5 call options were purchased for January - which I believe gives someone the right to purchase the stock at $5 at a future date. Not sure if other people know something we don't or if people are just getting excited for the results. However, the unusual activity may mean that OTO-413 results are imminent.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      They planned for OTO-413 results in December. Most likely will come before Christmas. Probably people buying in on speculation.

16. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      That'll make a hell of a Christmas present.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      Late to the party on this one so I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question on this thread, but considering OTIVIDEX is in the Phase 3 trials and has a potentially better prospect of being released sooner than other drugs such as FX-322, any idea if this drug may prove useful for people suffering from tinnitus without Meniere's?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I suspect it would be useful for people with auto immune ear disease as well.

19. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      But no dice for plain old NIHL?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think it will be more useful acutely. But there are always a few people who respond to steroids more chronically and this one has a lot more potential in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      So as I read it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the focus at this time is unilateral tinnitus? This interests me as that is what my tinnitus is... in right ear.

22. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      For OTO-413, the clinical trial is only testing one ear for the purposes of the trial but that's a standard design. It can be used on both.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Christine2222

Christine2222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Do you guys think the results will be out this week?

• Good Question Good Question x 5
    24. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      One would think... this is the last real week of the year for PR to have any impact until Q1, 2021.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. patorjk
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      I'm hoping so, however, they last updated their study on September 14th saying they were no longer recruiting:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04129775

My guess is they wouldn't do this until the last person they recruited started the trial. The trial is 12 weeks, so that would mean they got the data last Monday. When they got the OTO-313, they processed it for 3 weeks before releasing it, however, I don't think they'll take as long with OTO-413 (otherwise they'd be releasing it on the 28th).

If you search Twitter for their ticker symbol ($OTIC), you'll see some interesting chatter about peculiar option and stock buys [1, 2]. It looks like traders believe the results will be very soon [3]. Maybe this is fueled by people just being optimistic, or maybe it's a mix of that and some people knowing something.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It will be a shame if the results come out next year instead of this month.

27. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Their latest corporate presentation - as of December 2020, states that they will be releasing OTO-413 results in 4Q 2020. So I assume they are still on track for this.

https://investors.otonomy.com/presentations

• Like Like x 3
    28. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Early Christmas present.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
    29. patorjk
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      • Like Like x 18
      • Winner Winner x 3
    30. frpp

frpp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj, Nihl, ototoxic drugs, nerve/ vascular issues
      That's great that it works. I imagine it will work even better if both ears are treated because in general you need both for speech in noise.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3