People with Dysacusis, Distortions or Loudness Hyperacusis — Describe Your Symptoms!

Discussion in 'Support' started by __nico__, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Totally the opposite. Mine when waking up is droning and loud. After coffee and exercise I hear almost jack all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can be affected by blood pressure but in your case, this is not the underlying cause according to what you have said in previous posts.

3. Aquaticon

Aquaticon Guest

My case isn't as severe as some of the terrible conditions mentioned here, but my tinnitus was spiking about a month ago and I was using some high pitched cricket/cicada white noise to get through it. After stopping it, I realized I could still hear the sounds playing in my head.

I panicked and went to the ENT as soon as I could, which in hindsight, only really made things worse. I got a prescription of Prednisone to be 'safe' as I figured, but now I'm starting to wonder if Prednisone had something to do with these distortions I'm hearing. I also still have the beeps from the hearing test playing in my left ear which was a really nice parting gift to remind myself never to go to an ENT office again.

In my case, it's like a high pitched screeching, almost like an auto-tuned cricket. I've found it most apparent in the distant noises of a television or if I put the fan next to me on its highest setting, it really aggravates the phantom crickets in my head. I used to enjoy sleeping with white noise, now it's harder than sleeping with just my tinnitus (which had just begun to subside).

I consider myself blessed that most conversation and music sound normal when I see how horrible some people here have it, but I'm perpetually worried that it'll stagnate or worsen. I see many recommending avoiding headphones, yet they might be the only solace that I have. Many sounds outside of the headphones are warped and loud while noise from the headphones themselves seems normal. While wearing them, my tinnitus also becomes fairly pacified.

Really not sure what I should do since music helped me focus on work greatly, and all my pastimes revolved around it in one way or another. I could cut myself off for a few months and see where I end up, but if my condition deteriorates further, I'll regret not savoring it while it was within a tolerable threshold.

Also, I was scheduled to have my wisdom teeth removed in a week (which I discovered were responsible for some of the buzzing tinnitus I was experiencing), but now I don't see any choice but cancelling that appointment in light of my recent developments, and in fear of making it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      This is one of those posts that I feel like could have been written by me. I hear the auto-tuned crickets with white noise like the fan/faucet/microwave. My regular tinnitus is slowly but surely subsiding, with some spikes here and there, but the over all patter is gradual fading. But wow the auto-tuned crickets, I feel that.

5. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Aquaticon, the memory of music is not the same as experiencing it. Just makes you sad.

I'd assume the Prednisone likely had a roll in the distortions yes, especially if they are low notes.

It does sound a bit like what "was" happening with me. I made mine much worse with "treatments" and more noise than I realized I was hearing.

The beeping mimicry of audio tests I haven't a clue is up with that, probably something to do with damage to the threshold at that point.

That experience went away over a month. Perhaps due to not doing a test everyday anymore.

I still have low wavering droning in the morning. Starts the day off super shitty.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Aquaticon

Aquaticon Guest

Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to stay sane knowing I couldn't ever listen to music again. My heart bleeds for anyone suffering that hell.

Did you personally experience distortions with Prednisone? And if so, did time and natural healing mitigate them somewhat? I can probably live with it at its current intensity, but I really need to figure out what's causing my sporadic tinnitus spikes lately since all these different maladies coalesces into an absolute audiological nightmare.

7. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The distortion became low frequency distortion.

After initially coming off Prednisone the tinnitus took a few days to recover. The droning sound I obtained never went away.

The Droning in the morning probably got worse. The tinnitus when I yawn is what I hear all morning long.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      Does anyone know a possible reason as to why my dysacusis becomes worse for a few hours after taking a very hot bath?

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      When I had vertigo episodes, I figured out that a long hot shower was one of the triggers. I chalked it up to the shift in blood flow while my body was trying to cool off. My guess is vascular.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      I guess it explains why vasodilators helps me.

11. Richardfromuk

Richardfromuk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert and or Noisy Workplace left me with dysacusis
      I can only describe mine as sounding chalky, crumbly with a rattle at certain sound levels.

12. Cameron.TT

Cameron.TT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since maybe 2007. Worse since 04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Went to an unexpectedly loud recycling place for 10 minutes.
      For me certain songs sound like I'm listening to a low quality MP3, cymbals sound harsh or muffled depending on the song. The white noise I play at night to mask my tinnitus no longer masks it, there's morse code like beeping on top of it. That also applies to stuff like fans, heaters, or running water.

13. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I get beeps when the wind is blowing from a distance, running water, flushing the toilet and certain TV shows. Watching the World Cup when the crowds were cheering sounded like beeps. The beeps sound exactly like the morse code beeps I get in my ear. Missing some sort of frequency I assume.

14. TheCapybara
      Anime

TheCapybara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely headphone noise
      Exactly what I have. Clapping and cheering on TV has beeps over it and I can hear it in flushing, showering, music and many other things. Like you said, must be damaged hair cells in a high frequency but unfortunately not high enough that we don't notice it.

I've had it since the start of July so I'm assuming by now it won't improve any more than it has (the first few weeks were horrible but it did lessen since) but it's still a pain to deal with sometimes.

15. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      @TheCapybara, I've had mine since May of this year. It's weird because a few times it's gone or I've not noticed it and the brain has tuned it out somehow. I keep hoping mine will get better in the long run but I'm starting to lose hope. Having increased tinnitus, some hyperacusis, and distortions, is quite a package to deal with.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. TheCapybara
      Anime

TheCapybara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely headphone noise
      So around the same time as mine then. I really hope it'll get better for you as the months go on Strawberry, I know it's difficult to deal with on a daily basis. I think the worst part for me is that it's harder to enjoy things like series and games when I'm on the lookout for weird noises. Sometimes I'll just do these things muted so I won't be bothered by it.

17. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Yup, I have the distortions in crowd noise/applause most of time too. The worst is when cars pass by even with hearing protection on. It’s a shhh sound and it annoys me so much. It’s hard not to focus on them when they’re in your face like that. But as you said, there are times where the brain tunes it out somehow and I don’t notice them. But I have days where they are legitimately gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. TheCapybara
      Anime

TheCapybara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely headphone noise
      How long have you been dealing with the distortions? I'm honestly wondering if they will ever just end. From what I gathered and if it's correct, it's hair cells trying to make up for the damaged ones but will they keep doing that forever?

19. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      I’ve had them since June 2021, but it’s much better now than before. People’s voices don’t sound robotic anymore and I can comprehend music most of the time now too. But for the other stuff like wind noise, crowd/applause noise, I still get strange added sound effects. It fluctuates a lot. Some days it feels like they are less prevalent.
      I still am hopeful it will resolve itself overtime.
      Your guess is as good as mine. I think the brain will retune the distorted hearing as time goes on. And even if the distortions remain, I think overtime, the brain will reinterpret these new patterns generated in the inner ear (by sound) as normal. You are constantly experiencing it and although it might sound unnatural and distorted right now, overtime it won’t. This is just me, but if 20 years go by with distortions, I wouldn’t even remember how things were suppose to sound like pre distortions during the 20 year mark. My brain will have normalized my current hearing. The power of the mind doesn’t get enough credit here.

But I still believe it gets better for people. The only issue is predicting when it’s going to happen.

• Like Like x 4
    20. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey,

I too have recently started with some tones like that but fairly subtle. One is a subtle distortion and one is a subtle reactive tone which is sometimes there without sound.

Never thought I’d be here, the point is that it has aligned with a fairly quick increase in my hyperacusis. So you could be right that it’s related to sound sensitivity like others have said.

Hoping if I fix the hyperacusis, I may lose the distortions. I’ve had a multitude of reactive tones over the past month. Yet never had one before. I’m not sure if this multitude gives me hope it’s related to something like hyperacusis or things are just going downhill fast.

Do you have any significant regular tinnitus?

21. Richardfromuk

Richardfromuk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert and or Noisy Workplace left me with dysacusis
      After 4 months of using hearing aids, I have noticed my distortions are more noticeable, like a glassy, hollow, crackle, overtone with voices and anything else that hits the range where I have damage. I have recruitment because voices sound lispy and high frequencies sound splashy. It's difficult to describe because you only hear your dysacusis yourself.

22. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey, not sure if you're around, but do you know what type of Magnesium that brand has in it?

Magnesium has seemed to work for me too, but there are different types.

23. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just be sure to balance your Magnesium and vitamin D levels. I don't really know which is causing or helping here. They apparently work against each other in metabolism.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      I no longer recommend that one. Ionic liquid magnesium by Trace Minerals is far better.