Poll: What's Your Relationship with Alcohol Since Your Tinnitus Onset?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Óscar PP, Aug 21, 2021.

?

How often do you hit the bottle?

1. I drink alcohol almost every day

2. I drink alcohol almost every weekend

3. I have the occasional drink every now and then

4. I never drink alcohol

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      We all know more or less how alcohol theoretically affects GABA receptors and how in general it's a very bad idea to mess with those, but I wonder how tinnitus sufferers manage their relationship with alcohol, since for some it can cause instant spikes whereas for others it can give a temporary relief.

2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I didn’t drink any for almost 2 years after getting tinnitus. Now my relationship with alcohol is the same it was prior to tinnitus. I drink a glass of wine occasionally. Like less than once a month on average.

It doesn’t affect my tinnitus positively or negatively. Perhaps because I consume so little.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Chadilac

Chadilac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Alcohol always spiked my tinnitus so I quit drinking more than a year ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Rainer

Rainer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The last time I drank Ethanol was 2016.

Until then, I had monitored my intake with an Excel spreadsheet, which is probably a good strategy if you worry that your consumption is beyond healthy. I found it easier to decrease the weekly dose than to quit cold turkey.

5. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Alcohol always calms my tinnitus down. In the past if I drank a lot I could not even hear my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      Alcohol used to calm down my tinnitus and hyperacusis but last year things changed and now it is completely opposite - tinnitus is louder and I have more noise sensitivity after alcohol. I don't know why that happened, maybe my body didn't like me drinking so often to calm down tinnitus to have better sleep :D

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Hamsti

Hamsti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everything, I suppose. Stress, high cholesterol, TMJ...
      Because of my anxiety medication (Mirtazapine and Seroquel) I stopped drinking... I hope that I'll be able to sleep without medication in the future because I miss drinking my beer in my camping chair at festivals :D

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Voted every day but I have been a 1-2 drinks per year since 2002 or so.

Tinnitus did not change this and it is very rare for me to exceed that number.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I'm currently on Mirtazapine but never heard it could interact badly with booze.

10. MartinPihl

MartinPihl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Well... I don't know if it actually lowers my tinnitus... but:

I have been a party-dude from age 18-30 (I'm 39 now).

I can definitely say that alcohol makes me forget my tinnitus. I'm a freelance programmer - and with a good rum, low country music and just relaxing with something I like... I aaaaaalmost forget my tinnitus!

• Like Like x 3
    11. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Alcohol helps me relax and forget about tinnitus when I have a couple craft beers.

12. Sentinel
      No Mood

Sentinel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late November/Early December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really epic hobbies
      Alcohol almost without exception raises my tinnitus, but it's sometimes worth it to relax and make me care a little less.

13. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Alcohol definitely decreases my tinnitus. I am not a big drinker but when I do, my tinnitus almost disappears but not completely. But I focus on it less and I can enjoy myself. Since I have all kinds of TMJ issues and I’m highly stressed and tense, I wonder if for me, my tinnitus decreases because my facial and jaw muscles relax.

Although I have wondered if I’m starting to see a pattern where I have a spike the following day. Not always but sometimes. Not sure what that’s about since the whole premise of alcohol raising tinnitus seems to be related to either an increase in blood pressure and I have perfect blood pressure, or increased blood flow to the ears which would be more immediate rather than the next day. Since I have fluctuating tinnitus, who the heck knows?

14. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      A bottle of whiskey a day keeps the tinnitus away.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. Flet
      Alienated

Flet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So far alcohol hasn’t changed a thing. Still have tinnitus. And it’s been worse the last few months.

At least alcohol makes me care less about it in the evenings.

16. JCA

JCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 days after Pfyzer first dose
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow but Pfyzer 1st dose seems to be the culprit
      I'm 55 and a week after the first Pfizer shot someone flipped a switch and boom, ringing was off the charts.

The second shot increased it a little more and then the 3rd a little more.

I don't think about alcohol all day but I agree with many of the rest, in the evenings it helps calm all my nerves and not a great way to manage this but I haven't found too much else that calms it down to the point I can get a few hours of peaceful sleep.

Someone on here recommended CALM which is a Magnesium supplement and sometimes that helps.

I have a medical marijuana card and the indica and sativa help but I don't use as much as some. So my relationship with alcohol and tinnitus hasn't really changed much.

Wish you luck.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I was drinking every day back in October and ended up with a nasty spike that lasted through November and December. New tones that appeared during that spike subsided but my baseline volume is now much louder. Could all be coincidence, but that's where I am now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Yeah I don't think I can drink or smoke weed anymore, sadly. I loved both.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Blix M. Paraglot

Blix M. Paraglot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since 90s - serious since 2000s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Larks' Tongues in Aspic, part one
      Alcohol has always taken the edge off my hyperacusis and even made my tinnitus seem quieter, but it no longer helps as much as it used to. Now I'm on Naltrexone for tinnitus, and it blocks the euphoric effects of alcohol. I still love the smell and taste of wine, so I still drink a little now and then.

20. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      Haven't drank a drop since onset. I've heard it can make it worse or make it better temporarily. Well if it makes it better that would be a whole another problem... I probably would not put the bottle down.

21. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Since my tinnitus naturally dropped from severe to slightly intermittent after a couple of years following my noise trauma, I tend to have 1 or 2 "annoying" tinnitus days a week and without fail a few craft beers/some red wine nullifies it for me. After 6 days of quiet-room-only tinnitus, and then having an annoying day of 1.5-2.0/10, the booze really reduces it.

I really feel for those that get an opposite experience. It's insane how we are all so different with what helps/doesn't help us.

22. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      Same as it was before my tinnitus spiked 2 months ago. I drink more than a lot of people I know but a lot less than many of the other musicians I play with. During the week usually a glass of wine or two with dinner, or a glass of scotch when I get home and some wine with with dinner, but when we have gigs I'll usually down 3 or 4 drinks throughout the night. I used to play in a band in which the other guys would start the evening with a 6-pack on the drive to the gig and another 6 or 7 during the gig. I was the lightweight of the bunch.

As I type this post I'm sitting here with a glass of wine.

Surprisingly I'm not an alcoholic even though it runs in my family.