Post Your Favorite Songs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Markku, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      These are the kind of German artists we've never heard before of in the Netherlands. Wie schade! The top 40 of the last 30-40 years was basically made up of Falco (even though he's Austrian), Münchener Freiheit, Rammstein, Sasha (from 'If you believe''), Liquido, Scooter, Nana Mouskouri, Reamonn and Matthias Reim.

2. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here's a blast from the past with some quite popular bands from the biggest rock city in the Netherlands. Yep, you guessed it: The Hague ;)

Shocking Blue - Venus (Official Video)
      Shocking Blue - Venus (Official Video)

Golden earring - Twilight zone
      Golden earring - Twilight zone

Anouk - Nobody's Wife (Official Video)
      Anouk - Nobody's Wife (Official Video)

Kane - Rain Down On Me
      Kane - Rain Down On Me

• Like Like x 1
    3. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      What a story. AKB are my heroes in this genre of music. Great band. Your uncle, turns out, was also a legend of his own.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      You've basically just made a list of almost all of the German Musikexportware that makes me cringe :)

Falco has always been really progressive and unique for his time and I still like many of his songs. The stuff that's been flooding Die Hitparade back then, though, not so much my cup of tea.

I don't know if looks have already been as important back than as they are today, but looking at your list it almost seems that way. Or maybe it's because it is easier to relate to a love song or a catchy tune in a foreign language than a song that speaks to you because of its words.

Marius Müller Westernhagen has been HUGE here in Germany when I was in my teens. Sadly, he retired a while back and, to my knowledge, has very rarely played in public since then.

If you're old enough to remember the old Schimanski Tatorte, you may remember, too, that there have been two movies. The song by Klaus Lage was written for the first movie "Zahn um Zahn" and is a pretty good recap of it.

As for Doro Pesch - I pretty much grew up with Warlock (her original band) and love that she is one of the very few women who's managed to make a name for herself in the metal world!

I don't want to clutter this thread with too many weird German songs that nobody but a handful of people here are able to understand, but if you're interested, I'll give it a thought and privately send you a couple of links to songs that I liked and that probably haven't been too popular outside of Germany.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      @Carlos1

Finally! Someone posted some Sabbath. :hungry:

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think we're a part of the blame in terms of our ''musikimportware'', haha. Better yet, it's way overdue that we, the Dutch people, make a public apology towards other European countries for letting people suffer by exposing them to our national export products: happy hardcore and rave music ;)

Nope, never heard of them before. But it's interesting to see that there's a connection between Westernhagen and Pesch: they're both from Düsseldorf. Is it sort of musical hub or something?

It's kind of weird, but we actually have a particular place in the Netherlands where there's an exceptional development of musical talent: Volendam. Volendam is actually a small fishing village where singing is deeply ingrained in the community and one of its foremost cultural outlets. We even call this phenomenon: the ''Paling sound'' (paling means ''eel'' in English). Lots of famous Dutch singers and bands are from that place, like Jan Smit, the 3Js, Band Zonder Naam & The Cats. Or at least they're renowned at national level. But you've probably never heard of it :)

Sorry, I am not really familiar with Tatort. That's probably too high brow for our public TV channels. But I'll look the soundtrack up. BTW, my childhood was more or less defined by watching tv series like Kommissar Rex, Medicopter 117, Cobra 11, and Der Clown. And I've got to honest with you: I loved all of these TV shows :D

9. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from loud concerts.
      One of my many favorite songs from one of my favorite pop punk bands. Helps keep me in a positive mood when I am not feeling so great. Take care!

Knuckle Puck - Breathe feat. Derek Sanders...

10. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My friend's kid sister used to torture us with that kind of music. Worst night out ever was when I agreed to come along to some hardcore disco because I understood hard rock instead of hardcore...
      There's been a lot of original German music in the 80ies but I've never considered MMW or Warlock to fall into what eventually came to be known as Neue Deutsche Welle. Westernhagen because he's been there before (and after) people came up with this particular term and Warlock because their lyrics were mostly in English. I think only two of their albums come with one German song each.

I'm not very well versed when it comes to who's connected to whom in the music industry, so I can't really say if Düsseldorf used to be / is some sort of musical hub. A friend of mine used to be a DJ and band manager back then, I'll check with him, when I talk to him again.
      You and about 95% of the population here Germany :)
      I asked about Tatort because it seems to be one of the German crime series that seems to have crossed the language barrier on televison because my friends in the US and OZ tell me that they get to see it there every once in a while. And since the Netherlands are so much closer language and distance wise... I always liked the old Schimanski and Tanner episodes but stopped watching when the network started to enforce too much of the "didaktischen Zeigefinger" on their audience for my taste, because, like it or not, Mr / Ms Big Shot TV, I can still think for myself, thank you very much :)

• Like Like x 1
    11. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happy hardcore instead of hard rock? Wow, what a night to remember. Your story really cracks me up. Thank you for sharing that. :ROFL:

I've listened to some of Warlock's songs and it reminds be a lot of other glam-rock bands, like Twisted Sister and Alice Cooper. Westernhagen on the other hand... a bit of a mush between rock, pop, blues & soul. Blues rock, if you will. His style can be compared to Zucchero (one of my personal favourites!). It most definitely can't be categorised in Neue Deutsche Welle, but I must say that it is also a great genre. Have you seen Deutschland '83 by any chance? I've just watched it and the show is a real treat, especially with all that 80s music.

That sounds bloody annoying. We're kind of used to that ''high-brow morality stuff'' in tv programs for kids nowadays, but so far there doesn't seem to be a tinge of top-down interference in most popular tv shows. At least on Dutch commercial channels, I have to add.

12. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Like Like x 3
    13. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Or is it something for a bit of a @Contrast? :giggle:

14. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Really missing music today. Here's what I wish I could be listening to:

Porter Robinson - dullscythe (Official...

Also here's a really great disco house track if anyone is into that:

Richard Grey, House Republic - Turn Your Love...

• Like Like x 1
    15. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
    16. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cheeky, cheeky, Mr @Damocles ;)

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The same can be said for my friends. Every once in a while one of them will work something like, "remember when Leila agreed to come to that hardcore disco?" into a conversation and for the next half hour there'll be no talking to any of them because they're all busy cackling like a bunch of hyenas :rolleyes:
      Yep, that's where I would have put them with, too.
      When it first aired many of my friends and colleagues were quite excited about the first episode but rather disappointed with the series as a whole. And since I missed the whole thing and with the kind of "recommendations" I got I never bothered to look into it again later on.

I'll keep my eyes open and if it's on TV again, I'll see for myself.

A while back I looked into Aquarius because of the music and it was great, indeed. But for some reason I just couldn't get into the story / the story telling itself and stopped after a couple of episodes. But hey, the series got me to dig your my Janis Joplin album again...

• Like Like x 1
    18. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha, how cruel of them! We actually have a Dutch proverb for something like that: ''Met zulke vrienden heb je geen vijanden nodig''. Or in other words: with friends like that, you don't need enemies:D

It's incredible how industrious Janis Joplin was in her short lifespan. It's unfortunate that so many good musicians make it to the club of 27. Btw, tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of Amy Winehouse's death, another member of the club. I don't know if you share the same sentiment, but I still miss her every single day.

I know what you mean about Aquarius. I haven't seen the show with David Duchovny, but I have the same thing with The Boys. One of the main characters tells the story about how listening to Billy Joel helps him cope when he is going through a traumatic episode, you kind of get what Joel's songs are about and you'd hear his songs in a lot of cut-scenes. So I'd say that I sort of have a renewed appreciation of Billy Joel's music, in a sense, haha.

20. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Like Like x 2
    21. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 2
    22. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Today marks the 10th anniversary of Amy Winehouse's death. The world may not enjoy her presence anymore, but her music will keep her legend alive. And what better way to remember one of the best soul & jazz artists (my humble opinion btw!) than to revisit some of her songs. Amy, this is for you.

Amy Winehouse - Valerie
      Amy Winehouse - Valerie

Amy Winehouse - Rehab
      Amy Winehouse - Rehab

Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
      Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own

Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good
      Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
      Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    23. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Man, I wish she would have lived to write more of her amazing music. Totally selfish, I know. But I also would have wanted her to be happy, which is probably all but impossible for somebody whose every move and action is under constant scrutiny. Or maybe that's just me and you get used to that kind of life...

Here's a little something to remember her by, well, one of her own little somethings.

Amy Winehouse - Fuck Me Pumps

Happy birthday, Amy, you're missed!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's definitely understandable that we want artists to prolong their career as long as they can, as we often assume that music makes them happy. The case of Amy Winehouse is therefore a tragic one. Making music did make her happy, but the substance abuse to deal with pressure and close friends/family played a fundamental role in her demise. Especially her dad, who did practically anything to earn a buck by commercially exploiting his daughter. Her dad was really a nice piece of work. The documentary Amy (2015) is definitely worth a watch if you want to learn more of her complicated life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Like Like x 2
    26. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've seen the documentary a while back and remember that the way things were spiraling and getting worse for her while at the same time she was becoming a bigger and bigger success really made me sad.

Being a part of the music / movie industry is a double edged sword. You need an audience / the press for your work to be appreciated and to earn a living but once a certain point has been crossed it's the very people who got you where you are who make your life miserable.

And just because I've missed it and haven't listened to it in a long, long time...

MAYBE ~ Thom Pace ~ Grizzly Adams Theme Song

• Like Like x 1
    27. Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ask Me Why (Remastered 2009)

My favourite band ever, as cliche as it is. Their early stuff was mesmerising.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think you're right about that @Leila. There seems to be some sort of negative ''symbiotic'' relationship between work and audience. Maybe the music world is indeed a hard world where there's not a lot of room for emotional or psychological support. If we prevent another Amy Winehouse situation from happening, I think that record labels & agents need to act more in the interest of musicians from an emotional perspective (e.g. providing psychological services and assistance on a more personal scale), and not primarily from an economical one.

That song sounds very Garfunkelly, if you know what I mean ;) It sounds so relaxing :)

29. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Love Burning Spear. Especially this song. Good choice my friend!

• Like Like x 1