Prednisone Made My Tinnitus Worse :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Abby, Mar 12, 2016.

1. teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prescription megadose ibuprofin combined with noise exposure
      Yes, it does seem that medications are a major trigger. There should be more awareness and warnings about that.

2. Pambenny

Pambenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7 days ...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin....when does it go away if ever
      I’ve been on wellbutrin (genetic) for 7 days. Started ear ringing on the forth day. When do i give up and stop taking it. How long should it take for this to go away?
      Will it for sure get better if i stick it out?

3. Pambenny

Pambenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7 days ...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin....when does it go away if ever
      Can anyone help me.? Don’t know how this forum works.

4. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would stop straight away, I wish I had when my ringing got worse taking antibiotics. With that said, I don't know much about wellbutrin, don't stop if it's dangerous to do so.

5. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I don't know what that drug is for or what happens if you don't take it but if it's not life threatening I would stop, call doctor first thing and tell them you stopped due to side effects of ringing and suggest you meet as soon as possible to figure it out. Every drug effects people in different ways that's why there are pages of side effects for the drugs. Better to be safe, assuming it's not life threatening.

Disclaimer, I am not a doctor so the final decision is yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abby
      Doubtful

Abby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      My tinnitus started after I stopped taking Wellbutrin cold turkey. I don’t know if I could have avoided it if I tapered off it or not but it seems to be one of the drugs that causes permanent tinnitus. It did reduce a lot over time but taking another medication made it worse again. Your ears become sensitive to everything afterwards so you gotta be extra careful with what you take and what you expose yourself to.

7. Markseb

Markseb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prednisone
      Hi.
      Sorry to hear what you are going through. I feel very much for you as I am in the same position. Although I take some medication like beta-blockers, I have been on these medications for a few years with no side effects. About 6 months ago I was put on a strong dose of Prednisone for two weeks. Approximately half way through the course I suddenly woke up with tinnitus and have had it constantly ever since full stop that was the only thing that I took or did differently and was not exposed to loud noises. I know it is hard to link Prednisone causing tinnitus but it is the only link I can make. It is a persistent annoying pain in the butt. I do hope you get better as I wish I would.
      Regards
      Mark McKenzie

8. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      @Abby, I tried Prednisone, it was helping my tinnitus and it caused the noise to move from my right ear to my left ear as well. Hmmmmm, I wonder what is going on. I don't know if you're still on here or not. Probably not.

Anybody have this happen? It literally causes like a fluttering low ringing that's not constant noise.

It almost went away till a car accident, at which point it became permanent. Now I'm on Prednisone again to see if it helps my hyperacusis. The noise in my left ear is going crazy. Damn.

9. AbeS

AbeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts/drums/headphones/shooting/acoustic trauma
      Did the Prednisone help your hyperacusis or ear pain at all? I'm on the fifth day of worsened pain and sound sensitivity and was thinking if it would be worth a try. Really scared that this is becoming the new normal.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Helps while I’m on it, but when I come off, it goes back to where it was. Tried it 3 times.

• Like Like x 1