Showering

Discussion in 'Support' started by amymilly, Jul 31, 2016.

1. amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      I'm really new tot his tinnitus. I had it 2-3 months now. And I'm trying to get used to all these different things happening in my ear. At first the shower didn't seem to make much difference to my tinnitus. But the past 4 days showering I get out and the high pitchness has increased. My anxiety is getting bad. Again.
      Does anyone else experience this? Or any suggestions as to why it's started to happen x

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi annually,
      Maybe try using ear plugs when having a shower to see if it helps you.....lots of love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, try what @glynis said.
      Is your shower that loud? Is using less water an option (less noise)? Can you take a bath?
      I can hardly imagine a shower so loud that it's damaging.

For me, showers are relaxing. The warm water makes my muscles less tense and the sound covers up my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      @walkthroughwalls indomf think it's that loud. It didn't bother my tinnitus before. Until the past 4 days. Just seems I get out and my high pitch up in my head is screaming. Calms down after a few hours. It's making me scared to shower.
      It masks my t when I'm in the shower. Until I get out. I don't get it. :(.

5. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I get a spike after showering quite often. It used to really worry me but it always seems to go down after awhile. I just find it irritating now but at least I know it will diminish.

I don't think it has anything to do with the loudness of the shower. I think it's a reaction that our brain has to the stimulus of showering. Our nerves get amp'd up due to being stimulated by the showering action. I admit that's a weird theory but it's the best I've got. I wouldn't worry too much about showering though. Try wearing some foam ear plugs and see if there's a difference after you shower. Also, learn some relaxation techniques and breathing exercises and do them religiously. They will really help with the anxiety but it can take a little while for them to kick. Once they do though you should be feeling less anxiety.

6. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      :(

Please try to stay calm, however hard that may be. That's probably half the battle. I'm guessing that taking a short shower cannot be harmful in any way. If you want, you could try finding what exactly causes the spike. Maybe it's just that time of day, maybe it's the water, maybe it's the sound, maybe it's some movement you do...