So I Borrowed Hearing Aids. It's the Hearing Loss That Bothers Me.

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Apr 30, 2016.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

No, I'm some random person on the internet with problems. I'm some random person that if he died tomorrow, you wouldn't care one way or another.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

The issue is I really don't even know if I need one or not. The "speech bubble" is still within my range. It's just the uneven hearing that annoys me that most. Also, don't hear conversations around me in the distance very well. But, yes, vanity is part of it. But, I feel that is just the way the culture is in USA, but I could be wrong.

3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Agree

4. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      So let's turn this around ........ if you met a lovely young lady and then found out she wore a hearing aid, or had an artificial limb or a colostomy bag would you reject her????

5. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      umm...So, Im a girl :D
      I am 20 and single. and if I met a guy I like I wouldnt care at all about hearing aids?! its like glasses for the ears lol :D

jd you'll find the one. and if she has issues with you having hearing aids, then shes simply not worth it. Dont worry :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think you missed the point of my entire post!!!??? Did you you even read it? I thought I was being fairly blunt with the sarcasm.

7. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Zora this is JD

JD this is Zora

(Backs away slowly)

Let's nature run its course

;) ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    8. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      The uneven hearing is in your head. Right now this is something you have to get over. People that have uneven hearing adapt within a week to it and don't give it a second thought. One of my hearing aides was programmed wrong. For 5 days it bothered me. On day 6 my brain adapted and I didn't think about it at all. Day 7 and same and I felt normal again. I had them reprogrammed and then I got even hearing back again and it was nice, but it took another couple of days for my brain to adapt again. Some people can only hear out of one ear and they adapt as well.

You really have to get a grip on the situation or you are going to cause yourself other issues too. I got H from constant worrying/anxiety and not being in the right state of mind for several months. If you keep this up it will just affect your health more and more.

9. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Let's recap.

You have mild to moderate hearing loss in one ear. The consensus here is that this does not *require* a hearing aid. However, it has affected your life to the point where you were actively suicidal. Given this, the consensus shifted to the belief that you should try a hearing aid.

So you did - borrowing one from someone else with this result

But then
      Nothing wrong with considering this. However, nothing is not guaranteed, and it will likely take several months to work if it is going to work. If it works, you might be happy with the result or you might be unhappy and decide that you wasted time and money.

If you can't do both, then you have to make a choice. Conceptually, either is fine, but one of them will help you now and one might help you in several months. The people who are trying LLLT seem to be pretty patient, and you do not. It seems clear that people here would say HA is the way to go.

You could even get a HA and save money for LLLT.

And then
      Well if you look at product offerings, it seems that the stigma is not so much. Take a look at the color options
      http://www.widex.com/en/hearing-aid...filterModel=3&colorPicker=0&colorGridPicker=0

Or, of course, as people mentioned you can get HAs that are essentially invisible.

You've also said/implied that you have Crohns. I dated someone with Crohns (Her first serious flare was in college and almost killed her. She had another during medical school and lost a semester. These were before I met her but were major surgeries with her in the hospital and with long recoveries.) As I am sure you know, this meant medicine, watching what we ate, planning for bathroom emergencies, and, in spite of the planning, sometimes having to deal with bathroom emergencies. It also meant the possibility of another surgery and recovery. If things work out with someone, that is likely to be a bigger issue than your hearing loss.

It also sounds like you were talking about your hearing on a first date. Do you talk about your Crohns on a first date? Any other medical conditions? Do you expect her to talk about whatever issues she might have on the first date?

A very reasonable course of action would be to not worry about dating until you have dealt with your issues with your hearing whether through hearing aids, therapy, or something else. You could always go out and be social without the pressure of "dating".

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Do you feel your unique in that thinking? Or would you say this is pretty common with other girls you know?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I would date if we got along lol. I would like to live in Germany anyways.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Well, do you think I should get a hearing aid or just try to wait this out and adapt as many don't believe my hearing loss is that bad.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I would do the lllt thing if I had some certainty it would make things better. Even if it looks months. I can be patient if I know something will happen, even if it takes a year.

14. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Zora you heard the man,now the ball is in your hands;)

Can I be best man?:)

• Like Like x 1
    15. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Yes, and you can also try a hearing aid that is fitted for you. In that case you are *guaranteed* to know how that is going to work for you. You can then live your life, keep your job, etc and, if you want, research and save money for LLLT.

16. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I don't think you need a hearing aid right now from what you have said about your hearing loss. It really is minimal. I think you are making a bigger deal about it than it really is and letting it affect you in negative ways.

Agreed with Aaron. Don't put any pressure on yourself to date right now. There is really no hurry to find anyone. So you date, get married, have kids. That's responsibility. Kid's will pretty much end the clubbing scene anyway. You will be home all the time changing diapers.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I don't want to club to be honest, if I can find a steady relationship in this stage of my life , that would be best. I have no interest in dating around right now.

If you think no hearing aid, then I think just going the lllt route may be what I do instead....but idk.

18. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You can try a hearing aid if your loss was hard to adapt too.
      My son's hearing loss is 40db and copes fine without a hearing aid but hard if gets a cold effecting his ears.
      He's 21 now and has a lovely girlfriend and has a great job and a few months left at uni part time and will qualify as a architect.
      This is my youngest son with hearing loss and epilepsy and girl friend.
      He's holding a cake made from his 3 year old nephew my grandson...lots of love glynis 20160410_163259.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Well then you were never serious were you.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Can I ask you whether they have T or not? Also, do you mind if you let me know at what frequencies there hearing loss is at? Or if you could ask them?

If it's too personal to post in threas, PM might be good.

Again, this is if you all don't mind sharing. It would be nice to have someone to relate to or realize that that lose isn't that bad.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Serious about what? I wore one and people on here and elsewhere have said I probably don't need one really at my hearing loss.

22. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      He as mild tinnitus after a operation to remove his ear bones at age 7.
      At 16 he needed another operation at remove the mass that grew back and now is 21 is due in the next few months to have another oppetation as the mass has grew back again.
      Called a cholesteatoma.
      He has hearing loss at 40db and each operation risks more tinnitus and Hearing loss.
      I have not saved his hearing test results but happy let you know his next ones.
      Awaiting see his consultant and pre operation check before his operation...lots of love glynis

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Please do as I would really like to know if you dont mind. Also, is this mass a risk to his health, or is this a routine procedure type thing where they have to remove this every 5-10 years? Just wondering as I never heard of this. Is it common?

24. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It is not cancer but spreads like it and could go to his brain.
      They have to remove all the mass as will spread so now faces a third operation to his left ear...
      Dreading him getting more tinnitus than hearing loss.
      He's so happy all the time and I'm sure would be happy pm you.
      He's 21 and my eldest son 28....lots of love glynis

25. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What does your own mind tell you?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Idk honestly, as I'm not in much position to make a decision at this point. If there was no stigma then I might wear one. But, also, the eneveness is all that bothers me. If I had this level of hearing loss in both ears I would probably move on.[/QUOTE]

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

How loud is his tinnitus now? Can he hear it over everything?

28. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's the whole thing about hearing aids. Properly fitted and customized they are meant to address exactly that. I just don't think its as bad as all that for you as you still clearly have other active priorities.

You probably didn't need to go down the imminent suicide path here though. There's enough people already who follow through on the threat, and as cries for help go, you would likely have got the same advice without the theatrics. Just get on with your life...and really, keep the hearing aid thing in mind. In a few years when your priorities change you may revisit the idea.

29. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      [/QUOTE]
      What do you mean move on? Wouldn't bother you? You could always wear one ear plug with a small attenuation in your good ear to match the other ear? Have you tried that? I'm sure with your loss you would still hear just fine and be more balanced out.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

There were and are not theatrics. I did act on this post a couple days, but I am not going into details of that. There are people on the forum who know more details about that. This post wasn't started with a false claim, I was being honest.