So I Borrowed Hearing Aids. It's the Hearing Loss That Bothers Me.

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Apr 30, 2016.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, after all my problems, someone else in my family with hearing issues decided to get hearing aids.

Well, I borrowed the hearing aids. The ringing is semi the same, but I can hear better in that ear. It's not perfect. Also, it's like my brain is readjusting to hearing. Like I feel semi like old self with them.

The ringing doesn't bother me. It's the hearing loss.

If I had the same volume of ringing and could hear normally, I literally wouldn't be on this board and would be happy.

So, I will try to get my own hearing aids as these obviously aren't fitted for me.

But...yeah...I need a hearing loss cure. I don't care about the ringing. It could stay at the level it is and I would be fine .

It's the hearing loss.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Its a fair start. Get your own aids if you can, customized to match your own hearing loss, and then see how that goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I may try the laser therapy thing. Literally t does nothing to me right now...it's still there but like before I didn't care.

Can anyone point to anything besides lllt that could bring some hearing back?

I'm going to work towards that. I could care less right now that I got kicked out of am-101 at this point. I get what is really annoying me.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Glad you find hearing aids are helpings and better when have your own .....stay positive ...Lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Thanks glynis. I really am still considering lllt therapy.

6. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      We haven't talked in a while. I have had hearing aides since I was 24. Its not that bad really. The new ones connect up to your cell phone too and they are pretty cool. Hang in there man. The cures are coming. You are 28 and you have a long way to go. I'm with you though, I will take T all day long over hearing loss. From what I remember reading, I don't think yours is that bad though.
      Fight with me. Raise awareness, start contributing to any of the hearing loss programs, Stanford, action on hearing loss, etc. Make a difference, so that no one else has to deal with this. Get better first though.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have hearing loss in the lower region in my right ear, that tinnitus is okay. Kind of shocked me in the first day or so but don't even notice now. Wish aids could help with the really high ringing and beeping. Too too high to be masked by anything.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

May o ask you if your dating life was honestly effected by hearing aids? Like honestly?

I'm very concerned about dating with one. I mentioned it to a girl a may be dating (a different one), and I could tell there was some hesitation with that...but she is still up for hanging out. But...yeah.

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I definetly feel hearing aids will be used against me in the dating world. I think it's easy to say, that person is superficial. But, the dating world is not fair just as war isn't fair.

I can see many blowing me off because of it.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      You need hearing aids and dating A
      Tell her this - don't worry I don't have AIDS I have hearing aids

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I want to hear from people who have hearing aids or know people VERY WELL who have hearing aids in this. It's very easy for me to say a burn victim will or won't have a hard time dating or that people who won't date them aren't worth his or her time. But, reality for a burn victim or someone else can be very different in REALITY. But, I wouldn't know what it's like.

I wan't to hear from people in there 20s (or once in 20s) what the deal is. The REAL deal, not the "the world is fair and don't worry" deal.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Man if your so busy dating all these fine ladies you won't find the time to kill yourself anymore !
      Here is another one - you don't need good hearing to have good sex

And we want the detailed report here on tinnitus talk first thing next morning

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would avoid noisy restaurants and bars on dates anyway - wiht ear issues it's going to be a challenge and potentially make things worse due to noise exposure
      The best would be to come by car and after a while park in a very quiet spot where you can have a nice conversation to get to know each other .
      Unless her voice is limited to 4khz and under 40db you will hear her fine even wihtout hearing aids .
      Then you can plan a a dinner at your home -! or buy some good food for a barbecue outside in a park or out of town again those are quiet places where noise is not an issue .
      Don't tell her about hearing aids upfront she won't understand anyway - do a few dates in quiet places this require more planning but
      It's possible and then once she likes you then open up on the issues -
      That's how women will do anyway
      You won't find out about HER issues until she trusts you like her

14. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Just take it out if she wants to kiss and nibble your ears..........lots of love glynis

Seriously though, if she loves you she won't mind them.
      I wear mine and they don't bother me at all even though I wear glasses also and check they are in ok a few times a day.

15. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      It's the "ok this is it, I'm gonna off myself later after work if I still feel like it" mentality is what will turn off the ladies. A single hearing aid isn't gonna make a bit of difference in comparison to your attitude about yourself and life. Please work on getting that better (for your sake!) before worrying so much about dating.

I have hearing aids and my wife hasn't kicked me outta bed yet! Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It all depends on the girl you are looking for. Honestly, if you go into a club and you are for a good time and a girl sees you with a hearing aid its probably not going to go to well at first. You have to get past the initial stage of looks and talk with her and see if she likes you for you and not what has happened to you. If you can get to the hanging out stage and then start talking it will go a lot better once they get to know you.

If you get the in the ear one, they are hardly noticeable. I forgot the name, but they make one that goes completely inside the ear and you can't even see it. Maybe look into that one. If you can run with that no one would even notice for the next 5 to 10 years while they come out with cures it might not even be that big of a deal.

Just like you, in my 20s I had a hard time with it. I won't sugar coat it. I was ashamed, but I have now learned just not to care. The girl you find probably won't be the one you are dreaming about, but it might be someone that you will want to spend the rest of your life with because she likes you for you. A lot of people have things wrong with them and they never advertise it. That same girl you meet have something going on too and sympathize with you and that might form a connection.

I can only tell you that your life is just beginning. There is no rush to find someone. Even in your late 30s and 40s you will find people that you like and want to be with. Get married now and maybe in 10 years you find your dream girl and you are taken and in a bad relationship with a girl you should never have married with 3 kids. You have to take life as it comes at you.

17. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You will still meet the right girl.
      When I first saw my hubby he told me heh had epilepsy and was not working and that didn't stop our relationship.
      29 years this year we have been married...
      Both my son's have epilepsy also and both got beautiful girlfriends and we have a fantastic grandson.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just saw this post. Yeah the world is not fair. If it was I wouldn't be wearing hearing aides right now or have T. Do you really even need hearing aides right now? I read 40db loss in one ear? If that's it than you can get by without any hearing aides. Always turn your head to the good ear to listen to people. If you go clubbing I doubt you are going to want to wear a hearing aide anyway. Keep in mind girls all talk in different frequencies anyway. You might hear one really well, where the one with the higher pitched voice you might not.

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to your own question about hearing aides, but really you just have to make it work. Like I said before, you have a long ways to go and many things can happen so don't plan out a future that doesn't exist. I have learned you need to just live life, day and day and work around whatever happens.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, the message I'm getting is girls can and do care about hearing aids. That is the message I'm getting when I hear everyone. It's sugar coated. But that is the answer I'm getting.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Can I ask, and this may be personal, bit did you get to date many girls in college and after college with the hearing aids. Did anyone reject you do them?

I understand you found your wife, who doesn't care, but I'm sure I can find an exception to the rule too...however again I'm getting the impression it matters.

21. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Re dating girls ,I have hearing Aids that have a little button that turns them into mini rabbits ,(they are white as well for ultimate rabbit realism) the girls love my Hearing Aids. they allways say to me "hope your hard of hearing tonight Pete!! "

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Seriously though, did you have hearing aids in 20s? How was dating with them?

23. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello Buddy ,I didnt , and I have mentally put myself in that position. Thing is as you can see from my post I enjoy humour ,girls like humour ,it wouldnt have worried me. If it does worry you i think with the greatest respect you have to look at yourself ,you would be the same person with or without hearing aids. In life girls go for certain blokes dont they and hearing aids just wouldnt come into the equation ,you think they do so once again I say you need to look at yourself , take that in the spirit its meant . I mean if you were a twenty stone blob ugly as hell with no hearing aids and Brad Pitt lookalike with hearing aids walks in ....

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Can I ask why you feel certain that there will be a hearing loss cure in 10 years? I really want there to be, but I get the feeling that may not happen :/.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I'm considering not getting hearing aids. There is too much of a stignma and even people on here aren't denying it.

26. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      If I can go on a date wearing ear muffs the size of bowling balls I'm sure you can manage a date with a tiny hearing aid no?

Maybe it's different in the states when it comes to the"stigma"of hearing aids because that's not the case here in Ireland.Seriously Jd don't let Vanity be the deciding factor on whether you get a hearing aid or not.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Are you a troll?? Do you have any friends in real life? How can they stand you??

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      It's the fact that you are insecure, have a terrible attitude, and possess no self confidence that will hurt you, not hearing aids. Woman like a man, not a timid kid that is shy and acts strange and creepy about wearing a hearing aid, this will kill your chances with woman right away.

I hope you look absolutely perfect if you are going on about a hearing aid. Are you jacked? Have a six pack? Are you over 6ft 2inch tall? Do you have at least a million dollar apartment with a view? Do you drive at least a 100k sports car? If you are so worried about having a disadvantage with a hearing aid, have you thought about the rest?

What if you pick up a date in your mediocre car? Take her back to your average apartment? What then? Are you teeth white enough and perfectly straight? Sounds like you might have some more things to worry about in addition to the hearing aid? But I'm sure you are perfect if a hearing aid is such a big deal to you. Your perfect self will be flawed now :( with that God awful tiny piece of plastic.

It's going to be real tough having a flaw and not being perfect like you are used to. One flaw and yup, you are right to be concerned, game over for you, woman demand perfection, and you won't be perfect anymore.

Remember if a woman doesn't like you, always blame the hearing aid, it couldn't be anything else as I'm sure you have a sparkling personality and absolutely stunning looks. She will love you until you turn around and she's that THiNg on your ear, there will probably be a huge gasp, maybe a scream and the date will be over.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    29. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      AWESOME POST!

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Yeah, if I was perfect in every way sure, hearing aids aren't a big deal. But, guess what, I'm not perfect. Guess what, neither are you.

So, yes, every thing that can be used against you can be used against you. I agree, if I had all that, who cares about hearing aids. Guess what, hardly ANYONE in there 20s has ANYTHING your talking about. Hell, many in this day and age live with there parents because the economy is so fucked.

So, yes, having a hearing aid isn't going to help me. I'm sure I'm not a perfect person and much of this probably is mental as well. Ok, well this is where I am right now.