So I Borrowed Hearing Aids. It's the Hearing Loss That Bothers Me.

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Dude just download tinder and get laid,
      nobody cares about a hearing aid as long as you fuck good.
      lol,
      if you wanna go to a proper date, and want someone to love you for who you are
      use the hearing aid, if the girl is worth your time, shell want a to go on a second date.

• Agree Agree x 4
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Do you have a hearing aid? Do you have any experience with what you just claimed?

3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I wouldn't at all, no chance in hell. I would find it extremely attractive for some reason, I have no idea why, I'm not even kidding. Maybe because people that have to overcome some adversity in their life and are just trying their best are normally more interesting than some bimbo air head that coasts though life her with her huge cannons (boobs) and talks like everything is a question. Lol

I don't know, maybe that's just me :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      My Mom was a beautiful woman in a wheelchair and she still got marry and have kids.
      i think a wheelchair is heavier than a hearing aid...
      im not saying its easy...and i dont wanna sound rude jd, life is not what we expecte....its not fair for any of us, in this forum...(and in the whole world to be fair honest hahah)
      but you have to make the best with what you have, you life matters.
      go experience the world and dating life from a new perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      No girl ever rejected me because I was deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other. Well, I guess if they did, I didn't hear them. :)

One thing with hearing aids is that it is usually the person wearing them who attaches the stigma to it. There has not been a single person in my adult life who has treated me differently because of them. Would you treat someone badly if they had them? Haven't you seen the movie Creed? Apollo Creed's son didn't dump this girl he liked when he found out she had hearing aids!

-Mike

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Sure, no one treats people differently for many issues on a human level/professional level. But, once "love" comes into play, all rules go out the window. People can discriminate on height for example, and regularly do in dating. That is pretty well known. Same for race and other things. These are things, in general, you will not see being treated differently out and about at work or such in MOST cases.

However, once dating comes into play, all bets are off.

Michael, at what age did you get your first hearing aids though? Did you wear them in college and in your 20s?

7. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      What are you seriously suggesting? That people who wear hearing aids can't date or have relationships just like anybody else? No offense, but you're being ridiculous about this.

You may want head over to the alldeaf.com forum and find out if that group of people suddenly stopped having sex. You'll probably get laughed out of there for suggesting such a thing. It's only going to be a barrier for you if you make it one. Period.

-Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I got mine after I was married. But every girl I ever dated knew I would eventually get them and probably even go deaf at some point in my life. If that scared someone away, then good riddance!

You are right about one thing -- once "love" comes into play, all rules go out the window. And stupid crap like "oh, he has hearing aids" is absolutely not a factor. Love trumps all those petty things.

-Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Can I ask what age you got hearing aids? I'll be honest, I don't see a girl caring too much about hearing loss or the thought of having someone get hearing aids down the line. I also don't see a girl caring about hearing aids later on in life (after you are already in a relationship long term). I do see it as an issue when attraction and a relationship hasn't been established yet between two people and one already has it.

I'm not saying that deaf people don't find love. Completely deaf people are going to have challenges though in the dating world, as communication is going to be pretty challenging meeting a new person if they don't sign (or the deaf person doesn't have a cochlear implant).

Anyways, I won't deny this though. If someone has a lot of great qualities about them, and hearing aids, yes they will probably not have too may issues in most cases. However, reality is many people don't have all these tons of great qualities about them and having a hearing aid only adds to the pile.

I would love to have my mind changed on this idea btw. I'm not arguing with you to argue, just saying what I'm seeing.

10. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Well, let's be clear about one thing at least: this isn't what you are seeing at all. It's an irrational fear you have designed to keep you in this perpetual state of suffering.

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. Starlord

Starlord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Rather than looking at is as some thing that will prevent you from finding someone, look at it as a filter which will weed out all of the wrong people.

If you want to date someone shallow and superficial fine, but don't fool yourself into thinking that that relationship will remotely last or be real. Few short months and it'll be back to square one.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I have enough filters...I really don't need more filters. I need to least problems I can to improve on the social aspects of my life.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

This is possible, but if I go google dating and hearing aids, it appears this issue does come up for people. I read stories where people wear the hearing aid (for an online dating meet up). The girl meets up, sees the hearing aid, and is distant the rest of the date. There attitude changes and no second date.

I would love to see examples of where hearing aids don't effect dating in ones 20s. I can say confidently that minor/moderate hearing loss is not going to effect dating. As that can't really be seen and in most situations, it's not going to effect communication that much.

But, hearing aids can be seen.

14. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      You speak about hearing aids as if people like me have some dirty disease that people will desperately avoid. Years from now with a little more wisdom and maturity, you would look back on these posts and cringe. Then realize you wasted your youth worried about insignificant things that don't matter.

You can keep focusing on all the bad things in life or you can choose to focus on the opportunities. It's your choice either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I think I wanna shout. :) I think I need to get some exclamation points outta my system.

PLEASE DEVELOP YOUR POSITIVITY MUSCLE!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU WANT TO MICROANALYZE THINGS, WORK REALLY HARD (TILL IT BECOMES EASIER) AND DEVELOP A RUNNING STREAM OF POSITIVES IN YOUR HEAD. DEVELOP THE REASONS WHY SOMETHING WILL WORK, NOT WHY IT WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE FORCE YOURSELF TO WRITE DOWN THREE NEW POSITIVE THINGS EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I feel better. :rockingbanana::thankyousign::popcorndrink:

• Like Like x 1
    16. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @glynis Nice photo of your son and his girlfriend! Love the little cupcake! :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I don't think you have a dirty disease. I just have a belief in my head that people in there 20s have issues with hearing aids when dating (girls mainly).

I would love to not think this way. But, it's my belief based on what I googled in google and stories I read.

I will agree that I need to try to think more positively in my life.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Ok, I will maybe try to do something like this. I just get concerned about buying that LLLT machine, and think positive thoughts about it, only to see nothing happen.

19. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Gorgeous couple!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      my thinking concerning hearing aids isnt unique at all. I dont think any of my girlfriends would be less attracted to a guy bc he wears hearing aids.

I imagine if I went on a date and he had some kind of "handicap" but he still seems like a positive funny person, thats a double plus then :)

honestly its like glasses for the ears!

and glasses have a stigma attached to it as well (being a nerd..etc)

if the guy doesnt seem affected by them I wouldnt either. But if he would come up with a " Im almost deaf in one ear. I have to wear hearing aids. thats so embarrassing blah blah....I hate it. is it a turn off for you? am I less attractive now?"
      THAT would be less attractive!

honestly, theres nothing to worry about. its just your attitude towards it, and I think you now that!

p.s.: Oh and the horror stories you found concerning "hearing aids and dating" are obviously there. its the internet. there are even stories that someone got T from masturbating. again, this is the internet.

• Like Like x 1
    21. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @jdjd09 if this isn't enough for you I don't know what is!You wanted to see someone your age with hearing loss doing well and there you go!

• Like Like x 1
    22. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Jdjd09,
      He must be ok with it as never mentions his tinnitus....lots of love glynis

23. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

@jdjd09 what are your audiogram numbers?

24. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I've always been a big fan of the Life is Good company. One of the co-founders has given several talks about optimism, life, work, etc. and it might be good for you to listen to. Here's one of them. It's long, but worth listening to.

http://www.inc.com/bert-jacobs/inclive-iconic-chicago-bert-jacobs.html

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Can someone please tell me how the genvec study is going? Anyone? There clearly is a lot of companies out there that are working on hearing loss and that one has people participating.

Does anyone know how those folks are doing? Has anyone had a 20-40db gain in higher frequencies?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I agree being optimistic is good. Studies show that. I was super optimistic about my future before this issue.

All I want to know is something is coming out in 10 years or less to bring back my hearing to "acceptable" level. I know where my t comes from and my offset hearing comes from. Cure my hearing loss and I'm happy.

Again, someonebon here must know something.

27. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      There are no fortune tellers here, so nobody can tell you anything about the future with certainty.

Did you watch the video? It's not about being optimistic that something good will happen in the future. It's more about being happy about what you have now. He talks about not focusing on all the negative things and instead talk about the positive. Especially in your case, I think negative attitude and disposition most holds you back.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I was like that. My life wasn't great, but I saw the positives in my goals.

Now my goals have been dashed. I'm about to possibly lose job over this. I can't function at all. Literally. This hesrkng loss has ruined my life literally.

I think about suicide daily.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I just want my hearing fixed.

30. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      And you can't have that. Accept it. Nobody knows how long it will take to get hearing loss treatments, can be decades :( You are asking impossible questions.

You should be more humble toward life. Your issue is a very small one. You sound very immature.

Watch this and learn a lesson or two...

The most inspirational video you will ever see...