Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Look into Keppra.
      You need to get a court order for the fire dept. to bypass and remove the fire alarm from your apartment and install an alarm for deaf people (strobe light)... Otherwise you risk getting worse and worse with every exposure. I got my tinnitus onset in 2011 following a Toronto residential building fire alarm.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. zozil_radical

zozil_radical Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from MRI Machine
      My hearing was damaged by an MRI also. There should have been better procedures in place to prevent against hearing damage during the MRI. I plan to make a complaint to the FDA so that the clinics and MRI manufacturers will create better procedures to prevent hearing damage. See my post history.

3. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Benzo class drugs (especially Clonazepam) will help your tinnitus not only on a psychological level, but also on a pure "sound level" aspect, as it is pretty well known now Glutamate plays a huge role in the loudness perceived.
      Not so many people on this board take these drugs, but I know for some of them it's the only way they can function.

Yet, there's a price to pay on the long run being on these drugs.

The question is are you ready to pay the price when time comes in order to get immediate relief (as little as it may be).

I am personally ready to pay the price, I do benzos, which is the only support that keeps me barely functioning. I'll deal with the consequences later, when treatments come for tinnitus in the upcoming years.

If I were in your situation, and believe me, I'm in a very dark place, I wouldn't hesitate to do anything and get it prescribed at least for a short period of time, just before your reach addiction and only to realize your sounds can get lower.

But keep it in mind: price to pay.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I’m honestly not sure why some days I feel upbeat and optimistic and other days I literally need to fight the urge to jump off a balcony. Symptoms are the same most days so it’s not spikes/intensity. My life feels so small and conditional now, and what’s left is sort of pathetic. It’s certainly not pleasant.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Your recent posts resonate with me. I also think I may have nerve damage: highly reactive tinnitus, severe hyperacusis, no obvious hearing loss or word recognition problems that point to hair cell death, worsened easily by low level noises. I don't know though; this is all so complex that hair cell death is still possible.

Anyways, I am right there with you on mood swings. My doctor's goal is to treat me with steroid sparing medication. Hence, I am weaning off prednisone as mycophenolate kicks in. Pretty much the last thing a suicidal, disabled person needs is steroid withdrawal. Sometimes I want to laugh at how big of a joke my life is, but I can't.

• Hug Hug x 9
    6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I laugh all the time through all the pain and hell.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It's the process of habituation. It's normal. Hang in there. In a couple of years you'll be habituated and tinnitus will be just a minor annoyance more than anything.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am no fan of the ATA in general, but this is simply not true regarding the research they've funded as a whole. I hope to see them re-prioritize how they spend their money but when they do fund research it has to fit their roadmap to a cure.

https://www.ata.org/research-toward-cure/research-program/past-ata-funded-research

9. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Maybe stress and acoustic trauma
      I'm at my all-time low. Just surviving, when the night comes, I think "another day that I don't make my family suffer for me". That's the only thing keeping me alive. Intense suffering the rest of the time. I don't know how much time I can be like this.

• Hug Hug x 12
      • Agree Agree x 2
    10. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’d like to be able to sleep without drugs again, among other things.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    11. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m sorry we are both suffering. Each day is an endurance test. I hope we reach at inflection point and are able to enjoy life again. Whether the catalyst is time, medical treatment, or something else, I truly hope we can improve.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You will, I also started with drugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Do you know the manufacturer of the MRI? Mine was Siemens. 20 minutes that ruined my hearing forever... it’s been a year. Call your GP and tell him you can’t get into an ENT yet, and you need Prednisone... then go to a minute clinic, tell them you had an ear trauma... get more Prednisone... and then see some of the dosing threads in here... act quickly.

14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      At least you found drugs that work/help.

Guess what time it is here? :-(

Does anyone know where to donate organs to researchers? Frequency Therapeutics etc?

Can they figure out how loud your tinnitus is/was after you're dead?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At around 2.5-3 years after the onset, some people report habituation (or partial habituation).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      This. I stick to 0.5-1mg/day Clonazepam and I've never had a problem coming off of them. The benzo fear mongering gets so carried away here it's comical. People let horror stories of high dose, long term users turn them off completely. I've experienced worse withdrawal on softer drugs; I had terrifying sleep paralysis episodes when I quit smoking weed after 4 years of constant daily use.

It's sad because so many people here could probably benefit from benzos, even if it is only a very small relief. But a few people who can't handle it have to ruin it for everybody. Huge disservice. Just ask @PeteJ, his merciless prick Dr. refuses to Rx him anything, thinking he's doing him a favour. They're ultimately looking out for themselves because they don't want to risk losing their license with all the horseshit in the media.

Respect the benzo and you'll be fine, that's been my experience. And if you can't get a Rx, just order some Etizolam from the clearnet ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

How long was your longest period of use?

19. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The thing is tricky with benzos and it's not only about using them cautiously.

I respect them, but I've been using them for 3 years strictly respecting the dosage and I had to up my dose a lot recently as my tinnitus is getting so much more severe.

Problem is I'm not even at a comfortable dose now and it's losing its effect on me.

Yet, if I weren't on benzos already, I would get it prescribed ASAP if every other option didn't help me lower the tinnitus.

This is what I called the price to pay.
      You don't know when or if you will reach tolerance, but trust me, when you do, you are a in a worse place than where you began.

20. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I had about a 6 month supply and when I ran out I didn't bother calling the doc for more until a month later. I actually like them better for blunting social anxiety than tinnitus.

21. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I haven't encountered any of that yet, but I'll take your word for it. They've been utterly consistent from the beginning, very subtle. My tinnitus was only ever moderate at worst. If yours is severe I can see why you're hitting tolerance, the amount I take barely makes a dent in my low tinnitus.

22. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know how much longer I can be like this either. All I know is that recently, all sound seems to becoming hostile to me, and I don't see any point in going on like this, if things continue like this, as all the things I used to like doing are being taken away from me.

Even worse my GP doesn't seem to understand my position as he's resisting giving me a referral. I'd like to get things more thoroughly checked out.

• Hug Hug x 3
    23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Such a vague assertion means nothing to me.

Do they have mild tinnitus? What's their age? Mild and under 30? Okay, I accept your theory then. :rolleyes:

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Both mild and bad cases of tinnitus and all ages. Having said that, this is based on people's posts on this forum. So it is impossible to get a sense of the fraction of the people who end up having this experience, except that the probability of that happening isn't negligible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      What about in the 1% club?

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What are you talking about?

27. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      • Hug Hug x 2
    28. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      So sad to read news like this. Even the tinnitus community might not have been able to help him, who knows? I tried so many things, NHS, private, alternative medicine, devices, supplements, osteopathy, medications, mindfulness... nothing seems to work. We are the unlucky cases but what can we do?

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Probably he is referring to a percentage of people who suffer with debilitating tinnitus and cannot habituate? I have always in mind this ballpark figure of 1% of population being troubled by their tinnitus, so I imagine not being able to habituate, but don't have any hard data. I would have habituated if mine had not kept worsening so long.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I agree. I think most of these "habituation proponents " have mild or maybe moderate tinnitus. I think a 1% figure might be accurate for severe tinnitus sufferers to habituate but I don't see any evidence of it here. I suggest that probability or chance of habituation is directly related to degree of severity.

I rarely see anyone make a detailed assertion either or one with context. Bill didn't totally clear it up for me. I think older people will have more acoustic traumas over time, more exposure to noise and age doesn't actually help the condition of our ears. But, of course, there are exceptions and I guess, young people are increasingly exposing their ears to noise, using potential ototoxic drugs etc. I also haven't seen any data to support many of the claims and assertions here either and I doubt there are any.

• Agree Agree x 1