Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Adaś
      Curious

Adaś Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, Stress, Rock concerts
      No it is not, I was ironic or even sarcastic.
      The most annoying component of my tinnitus is high-pitched screeching that I believe sits somewhere around 11kHz, I wish at least that this one can diminish with FX-322 help.

2. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      FX-322 will become a meme. Just another scam on a long list.

3. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      This spike is making me think about committing suicide again. I mean really seriously. I tried to register for a pro-suicide site a long time ago but the registration failed for some reason.

I have a few ideas in mind and wanted to run it by.

I read here of people preferring pain over the tinnitus noise/ringing. At least, I think you meant that. Your tinnitus must not be severe. If the pain is that bad, it's worse than than the ringing, wouldn't you get narcotics? Something from a doctor or even buy it on the street somewhere?

There's nothing available that reduces tinnitus ringing. I haven't had a spike this bad, last this long since I had dental work (cavities filled). When will this settle down?

I tried to find a rescue organization for my dog last time and I feel like trying again. It would make it easier to try and off myself. If I only have to look after myself, I could concentrate on a method.

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      @PeteJ Did all your symptoms start with an acoustic trauma and did you have Sudden Sensorieural Hearing Loss? (I remember you mentioned sth about the speakers but I don't remember if you had Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss or not and if it was unilateral or bilateral).

And I don't know if you can focus on reading but try if you can.
      I am not recommending any tests or procedures because I don't know what risks they bring, I just feel the more you knew the easier would be for you to try to prevent spikes or pain.

5. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't understand. My spike is making it really difficult to concentrate.

The start of tinnitus came after a speaker - acoustic trauma from that. Over a year but in February. What about it?

I had a spike on Wednesday. Still loud and I can't take this much longer. How long do spikes usually last? Please, this better be temporary. I haven't had one from an outside noise before. I wasn't beside the truck but was on the sidewalk beside the road it was on. How can that happen?!? :(

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They can last for over three months, but even those extra long temporary spikes normally begin fading after 4-6 weeks. I wanted to tell you that I've had spikes resulting from things like loud trucks. Those spikes ended up being temporary.

• Like Like x 2
    7. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I REALLY hope you're right.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease; Sjogren's Syndrome
      If it is recent, why not try prednisone? Even just a short taper.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Doctors here won't prescribe it. I asked my family doctor and an ER doctor who both said NO.

Maybe the USA is less strict because you have a private system. But, in Canada, you can't get it for acoustic trauma.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Prednisone can have serious side effects. Normally you would reserve Prednisone for things like gunshots. However if the spike is huge, perhaps Prednisone can be a good idea, after all. Keep in mind that doctors will be hesitant to prescribe it. You might have to make up a story of a spike following having to turn off a loud fire alarm.

11. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It spiked again or increased in intensity... I don't know what to call it.

Just now... like all the tones seem more "crazy" or more tones.

No rationale or reason that I noticed. Left ear has some pain. I hate going in circles but I don't see researchers doing **** all for this.

People ignore my main point too. If progress was being made, leaks would happen, whether researchers allowed it or not. It would be such positive news that it couldn't be kept quiet.

12. high frequencies

high frequencies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amoxicillin/dexketoprofen/tolperisone
      • Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A 6-day or 12-day course is not that serious. It may be worth it to see if it helps. I feel bad that he can't get access to medication.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree, that's what I would choose to do too.

But just to ensure that our view of this isn't biased, I feel compelled to post the quote below:

15. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a problem that is immensely improving from prednisone. I am strongly biased towards it. Granted, I have an autoimmune problem. Sometimes serious drugs are worth it. In his case, I see very little wrong with a 6 or 12 day course. He probably shouldn't go nuts with it for months at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      He won't see this because he blocked me for having political ideas different than him but since he has a dog, if he absolutely needed Prednisone it would be easy to get in any country if you know what to say to a vet.

I'm not saying it would or would not help him (I have no idea) and he probably won't even see this but it could be obtained. So if someone that does interact with him wants to pass that along and not say it was from me, maybe he'd want that info, I don't know.

17. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Who is "He?" I assume you don't mean me or are people ignoring what I post again?:rolleyes:

18. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I made up stories. Doctors ignore you. Or me.

How many people told ENTs how bad their ear hurt and how bad their tinnitus was? How many posts are here about no help?

They are more willing to do something in the USA because a patient can bribe a doctor with direct-pay fees.

19. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I read mixed results here on Prednisone. It helps some and doesn't help others. For a small percentage, it harms them somehow unrelated to the ear trauma.

I wish there was something for the spike/tinnitus.

The Prednisone doesn't really do much for the tinnitus - if it helps someone? It just helps heal the trauma faster or?

My tinnitus is so loud, I can't tell which ear is worse - probably the right one. But, it's so loud, I can barely tell there's more than one tone. I don't know the frequency or pitch but I guess that doesn't matter?

Would it help to donate my brain, cochlea and ear anatomy?

20. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. ajc

ajc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Can you please tell what to say to a vet to get prednisone. And can you go to a vet to ask for prednisone without bringing a dog there? Maybe it's possible to borrow a dog and take that to the vet. What kind of tests would a vet run? How expensive?

Is it also possible to get pentobarbital from a vet if you tell them you want to euthanize a dog? I guess they won't give you that stuff to take home?

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I made up a story like that, I was given 5 pills, enough for five days. If one were to be very determined, I can see how one could go to three emergency rooms and get a supply of 15 pills. I am just saying...

23. FGG
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Disclaimer, the only reason I'm going into this is because it's on the suicide thread and I hate that people feel like they have no options or hope.

I really strongly recommend going to an ENT in the acute stage and if they can't help you a second or third opinion first if it can be done in a short time period.

But anyway, if this helps anyone...

A vet can't prescribe anything without a vet/client/patient relationship so you can't do that without a dog.

Without going into too much detail, prednisone is often used for environmental allergies and associated skin itchiness. If you were traveling to see a friend at a known place where itchiness has occurred in the past, and Prednisone helped, most would prescribe it if you didn't want to pay for the better but more expensive options.

Unless the dog was old, most wouldn't require testing. At least in the US, the Rabies vaccine is required to be updated if overdue in most states before treatment is given (unless medically exempt).

And no vet would ever (nor should) give you euthasol (pentobarbital) to take home.

***I want to stress, i think this should be a last resort. I only mentioned it in Pete's case because he is constantly on the suicide thread and at some point "last ditch efforts" are maybe what people are left with.

There are always risks and side effects and interactions depending on the individual and medical history.

Rarely, Prednisone can make tinnitus worse and everyone should know that too.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Orions Pain
      Dreaming

Orions Pain Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have learned about so many horrible neurological conditions in the last few months it has messed me up a lot, mentally. No one is safe, not little children, not the poor, not even people who are already suffering. Over the last few months I’ve developed something on top of tinnitus, hyperacusis/ burning pains and it’s just adding to what already feels like a hellish existence. I’m in so much pain daily, I’m not sure how much more I can take and I’m only in my 20s. I don’t understand why my body is plaguing me with horrible neuropathic pain.

Life feels like a scary thing when you know doctors can’t help. If you’re lucky you get prescribed meds and they don’t give you further health problems. Even if they do manage to find a treatment for this ear stuff within the next few years I’ll probably still be suffering.

CTB sounds like a a really nice option lately, not gonna lie

• Hug Hug x 9
    25. FGG
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I'm not sure if this is a long shot or not but have you ever had viral titers?

I have had severe neuropathic pain around the time I was having vertigo attacks and both responded well to antiviral therapy for EBV. In fact it cured both my vertigo and my pain (not my hearing unfortunately since that was due to the antibiotics they tried first).

It was very severe. Just to give you an idea, I have chronic neck and nerve pain from a bone spur at C3/C4 but that is literally cake compared to what I had with that months long episode.

Like I said, it's a long shot, but in case that gives you another stone to unturn.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    26. Orions Pain
      Dreaming

Orions Pain Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hello there. I haven’t heard of this before. I just looked it up and I can’t tell what exactly this is, is this a test that can be done?

I think my neuropathic pain is stemming from a pre-existing condition and surgery that I had but it’s an unusual thing to experience despite that. My neurologist seems to have little desire to help and with COVID-19 it appears that doctors are even quicker to dismiss patients with invisible pain than before.

I’m trying to hold out from taking the Gabapentin I’ve been prescribed because I don’t want to mask the pain and make it worse along with my ear issues but the pain is starting to wear me out.

• Hug Hug x 3
    27. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      If you reaaaaally want prednisone and doctors won't prescribe it, you can also try bribing pharmacists. Don't even need that much money. But you definitely should read the included prospect before deciding to take it.

28. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry if this was asked before, but have you ever tried CBD oil and/or curcumin?

29. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In the interest of disclaimers, and since this is a suicidal thread, I do want to point out that prednisone can exasperate psychiatric problems. For me, the benefits and obvious application far outweighed the negatives of not taking it (i.e. the improvement in my hyperacusis improves my mental state far more than the mood swings make it worse). But if you do end up trying it, the weeks on it (and tapering from it) are not the time to do anything that can't be undone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. FGG
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Maybe I shouldn't have used an abbreviation but I meant "Epstein Barr Virus" which most people have had exposure to at some point but stress (physical and/or psychological) can reactivate it and it can be severe in some people.

Any virus in the herpes family can reactivate following stress (including Chicken pox, Cytomegalovirus, etc) and these viruses are latent in the nervous system. Usually, it's one nerve or group of nerves (e.g. some people get shingles in one area with chicken pox or get Bell's Palsy) but it can be multiple nerves as it was in my case. The stress of surgery could also do it (as you mentioned having).

Without knowing your pre-existing condition, obviously that could be a cause too as well as a number of causes but I would encourage you to work up any potential treatable cause just in case.

I was lucky that I couldn't tolerate Gabapentin and they didn't want to keep me on Buprenorphine so doctors were at least open to a fuller work up. Btw, only one of my doctors wanted to try me on antivirals because the other said "everyone has been exposed to Epstein Barr" (only my IgG antibody titers showing past exposure were high but they were very, very high) but I'm glad she did. She felt that they were relatively low risk drugs and it was better to at least try than keep giving me opioids.

My widespread neuropathic pain completely disappeared after a few weeks on them and hasn't come back.

• Helpful Helpful x 1