Tea

Discussion in 'Support' started by SarahR, Dec 11, 2013.

1. SarahR

SarahR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I've cut my caffeine hugely since my T started, when I'd often drink 5/6 cups of coffee a day at work and then tea (normal 'English' tea with a fair bit caffeine) when I got home.

I appreciate this wasn't really too healthy, but when my T started I switched to decaf, as I'm sure many of you have also tried. Although this had no effect on the T, I felt better for it and have decided to stay off excess caffeine (I still eat chocolate and might have the odd non-decaf drink if out).

I've started experimenting with different naturally caffeine free flavoured teas and so far my favourites are 'apple and blueberry' and 'peppermint'.

What type of tea does everyone else drink?

2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      the ones I want to drink... the little caffeine I might get from a cup of tea doesn't change my T one bit. I drink black tea, green tea, yasmine tea and all kind of flavoured teas with vanilla, caramel and so on.
      Fruit tea is also nice especially raspberry - vanilla.

3. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Same for me Sarah. It's not known caffeine to worsen T but i think it's true it weakens other necessary body and mental strengths which in our case need to be optimal to deal with T..
      So can caffeine increase anxiety etc..

4. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I don't ... Can't find one I like - they all taste like funny water to me ;)

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I drink decaf tea every day. Every once in awhile, I'll drink green tea or regular black tea, or occasionally some of the herbal teas.

Before my tinnitus got bad, I was addicted to diet sodas. I used to drink the equivalent of about 1 1/2 liters per day! Since my T, I don't drink diet sodas at all any more. So, in that regard, tinnitus has been a blessing in disguise!

6. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I agree @Karen - I used to be addicted to chocolate and coke. I'd tried so many times to stop but is get raging headaches and really bad withdrawal symptoms.

With my T onset I stopped both cold turkey - I was so stressed and upset about the T I didn't even notice any ill effects from stopping!

7. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I started drinking decaf tea before so when T started I was a little paranoid about any tea with caffeine. Since then I've had flavored teas with and without caffeine and I've done fine. I try to curb the amount of caffeine in general. I love tea, all kinds.

8. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Passion flower, hops and camomile teas only since getting t :sour:

9. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I don't notice a difference in my T level, but i do have to keep my caffeine consumption down or I get quite nervy and edgy. I stick to around 3 cups of caffeinated a day.

Tend to have decaf a bit too but it just isn't the same as a cup of Assam or Yorkshire Tea.

Other than that it's chamomile, peppermint, lemon and ginger, plenty of water. No soft drinks, can't stand sugary things (apart from cakes and chocolate).

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      No tea for me. No caffienated pop either.

11. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think caffeine helps me. I tested for 2 weeks and felt worse and more tired without it. Today I started back on fresh ground coffee and it helped me deal with the ringing in my ears.

12. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Check this out. Angelica, as a tea or capsule.
      Here's something positive. Angelica is from all over the world but mostly sub-tropical. You ingest it. Its a herb. It helps blood pressure helps anxiety and depression too. Insomnia too. Tons of stuff no down side.
      It may help you. Its inexpensive. Read about it-Angelica.√

Just think if you could get mega-doses!

13. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I dont know now Im reading that caffeine is not bad for you ... I just dont do it!