The 'Maybe Wanting 1 Shot Only' COVID-19 Vaccine Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jon R., May 18, 2021.

1. Jon R.

Jon R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 & then again in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st tone 2001 ear plugs, 3 other tones 2021 Pfizer vaccine
      Many of us on here who got either a spike or new tinnitus after their 1st shot of the COVID-19 vaccine are wondering whether to take a 2nd shot (unless you took J&J, then you have no problem with pondering). So this is why I thought to create this thread, so we can discuss that. I am considering not having my 2nd Pfizer shot, not just because of the tinnitus but also the forehead headache the 1st one gave me that just won't go. I am however only 5 days on from my 1st jab, so time will tell, I may change this decision as it is 8 weeks before my next shot in the UK.

BTW, disclaimer, I am NOT a doctor, so take anything I write as hearsay, these are however things I have read from news and official test articles (not random social media), but there is nothing to say the authors of the articles might get things wrong.

I have done vast research on how effective 1 dose is. Sadly there hasn't been any studies beyond 12 weeks, but the good news is that after 12 weeks antibodies have amazingly increased consistently. So that is the stage we are at now, after 12 weeks you have more antibodies than when you were 4 weeks post jab. They say people who have had 1 jab are equally protected (or very slightly more) to a person who has previously had COVID-19. So here is where it stands post 12 weeks. Longevity and South African variant are sadly the key unknown issues right now, I am hoping more tests are being done ongoing.

NO jab & NO previous infection = Completely unprotected (of course).

NO jab & YES previous infection = Good levels of antibodies, should mean no death or hospitalisation in most, may mean mild or moderate symptoms (SA variant and longevity unknown, but antibodies have still held up strong after 6 months and original SARS infected have lasted over 12 years).

ONE jab & NO previous infection = Equal to those who have had a previous COVID infection. Very good results. Between 72 and 81% efficacy rate. Should potentially mean no hospitalisations or deaths, but could mean mild or moderate symptoms (SA variant unknown). Vastly better than no jab at all.

ONE jab & YES previous infection = Equal to those who have had 2 jabs.

TWO jabs & NO previous infection = Depending on vaccine, between 66% (J&J) and 95% (mRNA) protection. The gold standard, can't beat it for protection.

TWO jabs & YES previous infection = No difference or more antibodies than from just 2 jabs, possibly pointless to have 2nd jab if definitely had original infection, awaiting results of tests on this.​

I plan to pay for a £50 test every 4 months to check my antibodies levels, if they stay consistent then I will be happy. If they start to drop then I will see how the disease is doing in my area then and decide what to do. If my after effects go after 2 weeks, I may still get the 2nd shot.

One thing I must also add, antibodies are not the be-all-and-end-all sadly, there are memory cells too, this is why longevity is unknown. Antibodies are great but memory cells are important too. You get more memory cells with 1 shot of AstraZeneca than you do with 1 shot of Pfizer/Moderna, but you apparently get more antibodies with 1 shot of Pfzer/Moderna than you do with 1 shot AstraZeneca.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Given the target is lymph tissue, I think there's a high chance the memory T cells will get all up in that antigen once displayed to them. You don't need chickenpox twice for immunity (within reason, obviously decades later there's shingles to deal with).

• Like Like x 1
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      But children do receive two doses of the vaccine for chicken pox. I cannot remember the vaccination schedule, but the first shot is around age 1 and there is a booster later. One dose alone was not enough.

Though I think there are several years between the first and second dose, suggesting the first dose offers immunity but not lasting and longterm immunity.

For the COVID-19 vaccine, it’s not even clear if two doses provide lasting immunity. But even one alone may be enough for the immediate future in areas with high vaccination rates.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Well I got the actual chickenpox. I was exposed again; no infection. I also got booster shots when I was a child for measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc over the span of a couple years.

I recognize booster shots exist because immune response will fade, but certainly not weeks later. So which is it? The strength of the immune response over a relatively short time to prevent immune decay or the re-establishment of a relatively mild one over a longer time span of decay?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Momma28

Momma28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus has spiked 4 days after having my first shot of Pfizer. It’s been 4 days since the spike started and it’s not gone back down to baseline. Due second shot in August. I probably won’t get the second shot as it stands.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      The problem with only getting one shot is potentially being limited from doing anything, depending on your country. I'm not getting the second and I'm seriously worried I won't be allowed to fly home to visit my family for a long time... even with a negative COVID-19 test.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For now, I have not heard of airlines requiring vaccine cards or negative COVID-19 tests for U.S. domestic flights. If you show them a negative COVID-19 test, you don't have to quarantine at your destination. If you don't show them anything, you have to quarantine at your destination for a number of days.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FWIW, I had the same basic experience but I was fine a week later, I am now 36 hours post shot 2 and, knock on wood, feel like I am recovering from the side effects that had me on my butt all day.

One shot is definitely better than none, but I'm not playing games with COVID-19 -- studies have found hearing loss and tinnitus in as many as 15% of cases which is much higher than any of the vaxx adverse incident data from anywhere that's done a large vaxx rollout.

I have no intentions of flying in this stupid country any time soon, though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      "ONE jab & YES previous infection = Equal to those who have had 2 jabs."​

Is this accurate? I'm 99% positive I had COVID-19 last year, and I suffered from the first shot of vaccine, I still have a sore arm and two months later my tinnitus is worse. If this is accurate, I could avoid risking the second shot. I'm pushing through hour by hour hell every day, I can't risk any worsening.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon R.

Jon R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 & then again in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st tone 2001 ear plugs, 3 other tones 2021 Pfizer vaccine
      From EBioMedicine (note, the term "naive" here means people never infected):

"Several policy proposals have recently been discussed including delaying the second vaccine dose for everyone or focusing vaccinations in a preferred manner towards naïve individuals. We believe the best solution is to provide individuals who already had a SARS-CoV-2 infection receive only one (rather than two) shots of the currently authorized mRNA vaccines (BNT162b2/Pfizer; mRNA-1273/Moderna). Emerging real world evidence suggest that the antibody responses to the first vaccine dose in individuals with prior SARS-CoV-2 infection is equal to or exceeds the antibody titers found in naïve individuals after the second dose. Changing the current vaccine recommendation to provide only one dose of vaccine to COVID-19 survivors would free up many urgently needed vaccine doses. With the additional available vaccines, there would be no need to delay the second vaccine dose for naïve individuals."

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I am very interested in this thread. I have had 1 shot, Pfizer, on 15 July and, after looking at Israel data, tinnitus reports, I will stay with 1 dose at the time.

Any other people who have decided the same? I am 36 years old, no comorbidities. I saw in Israel 2 doses give higher protection, but 1 shot gives also significantly much more protection than none. Due to tinnitus risk and overall safety, I plan to stay with 1 shot until Novavax. I would like to hear from people in the same situation.

• Like Like x 1
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have had several symptoms after the first shot of Pfizer on August 12. In the first 48 hours after the vaccine all I felt was a sore arm, and a couple hours of being tired and dizzy (and slightly nauseous). I thought that was it and quickly forgot about even having the vaccine. After 2-3 days I began to feel unwell... like sick without having a fever. Very tired too. Hyperacusis spike crept in over the course of 3-4 days when this started, and it's been spiking badly. I don't feel unwell or tired anymore, but my hyperacusis is still spiked. I am beginning to see a very slight improvement, but it's really up and down.

I was told by a family member that one shot will have little to no effect from COVID-19 infection. Only 2 shots will give you a good protection (80ish% I think it is, due to the new Delta variant - it was 95% before but not anymore).

I have postponed my second shot for now (I was scheduled for the second shot on September 8). From what I have read, Pfizer allows a period of up to 42 days between first and second shot, so I have until September 22 to make up my mind).

I don't know what to do. I am still afraid of COVID-19 infection as it's a well known fact that it can also mess greatly with the ears. I am mostly housebound at the moment and I see very few people and only for shorter durations. But even so, there still is a risk I could get infected by COVID-19, so yeah... I really don't know what to do, as I also fear what the second shot can do, now that my hyperacusis spiked so greatly after the first shot

I don't know if I have been previously infected. In the 1½ years there has been COVID-19, I have had a couple of periods where I've had some of the listed symptoms, but I never got tested (just isolated myself at home) so for all I know I could have been previously infected. One can also be infected and have no symptoms at all, so who knows... I was thinking of buying an antibody test, but I heard from experts in my country that they are not super reliable.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Maybe you could go get the newest antibody test so you'll know for sure whether or not you need the second dose? Apparently this test can distinguish between vaccine generated antibodies and antibodies from natural infection, so if you test positive for antibodies from natural infection you could probably forego the second dose without any risk.

14. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @TheDanishGirl, I'm very far from an expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but as far as I know, you can get tested for anti-nucleocapsid antibodies which does not generate from all the vaccines, but natural infection and the vaccines using inactivated virus.

One of my friends went through asymptomatic COVID-19, and only realized that she actually had the virus earlier when she was tested for anti-N antibodies due to having post-COVID-19-like symptoms.

• Like Like x 1
    15. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The CDC has found the effectiveness of 2 doses of Pfizer and Moderna against the Delta variant has declined to 51.3%. I don't know how effective 1 dose is. But most likely less that 50%.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/covid-19-fall-2021-delta-variant-faq/

• Like Like x 2
    16. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That's interesting kingsfan. I still would go for the Israeli data, which is a country with many people fully or partially vaccinated, so I guess it would be a best trial.

I agree that for symptomatic cases, double vaccines have more protection than 1 dose. For hospitalization data suggests the difference still exists, but is much lower.

So, I repeat again, everyone should make their own decision, comorbidities, ears health, age... etc together with their doctor.

17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      These official agencies like the FDA and the EMA are feeding us data bit by bit, and all of it shows they do not have a clue of what they are doing...

It's unbelievable that 50% of US population were vaccinated before the FDA granted definitive approval for the Pfizer vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
    18. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where can I get this? What's it called? I'm not sure if it's available in my country.

19. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All they can really do is gather data as best as possible and learn as they go. I don't think this is any different than studying an other disease. It's just they are under a microscope by the general public right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For context, I am only half vaccinated.

Would you be so kind as to link to the Israeli study? I know I could google it, but I want to be sure we are reading the same thing.

21. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The approval process has been different, I think, for the COVID-19 vaccines. They have been administered before there was definite approval by the FDA.

22. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What is better with Novavax?

This side effect is mentioned be people having gotten mRNA-types (Pfizer, Moderna), but also from people that did get other types (Johnson & Johnson, Oxford/AstraZeneca).

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, just want to learn.

23. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Novavax COVID-19 vaccine is a protein subunit vaccine which is a completely different technology than the existing vaccines. It's tech that's been used in previous vaccines like the Hep B vaccine. It seems to cause less frequent and less severe side effects than the Adenovirus and mRNA vaccines.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I hope you're not in Australia because anti vaxxers there will be excluded from the "vaccinated economy".

25. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where's the thread for "wants my third shot based on the fairly overwhelming data emerging to support that, plus two totally boring experiences with shots 1 and 2"? ;)

One shot just seems like you're stuck in a weird spot... you're not " vaccinated" as far as any regulator cares. Unless you got J&J. Just lol on how disorganized this all is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I want my 3rd shot, but I still can't even convince myself to go get the 2nd one lol.

For what it's worth, my parents have gone rogue and gotten their 3rd doses and their antibodies have gone from the 300s 6 weeks after dose 2, to over 2500 6 weeks after dose 3, so it seems the boosters do a great job at building up antibodies.

27. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      2500 antibodies to an extinct variant... hmmm :bookworm:

I just invited a state of the art dinosaur trap... oh dang!

• Like Like x 2
    28. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi.

You wrote that your hyperacusis increased. And I’m sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better. Did your tinnitus also increase?

I haven’t even had my first shot yet. But I’m getting very scared about the number of unvaccinated people in this country that are dying. And my husband and kids are all over me to get vaccinated. I’m just so fearful of a tentative spike. But I guess it’s better than death.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus acted a bit weird in the first couple weeks after the shot. I experienced both slight increases and even a few hours where it lowered 80-90%. It is at baseline again and has been for almost a couple weeks now. I would say if you only have tinnitus I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you'll be fine.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Thanks.

• Like Like x 1