To Whomever Needs Some Words of Hope — Tinnitus Is Only a Noise

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Iggy Koopa, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I'm sorry to hear that. I remember you talking about an interview that you were excited for. That's a major bummer. I understand why you disclosed it though -- it's a really big deal. By law, you don't have to disclose it, but it's tough for both parties. Hopefully you can keep recovering and find something that works.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Habituation "can" be success, don't get me wrong, but the goal post needs to stop moving.

Preaching that it's simply a matter of attitude means little when the harsh reality of a permanent spike hits and your coping mechanisms fail.

I think people getting used to "mild" forms, where it's not in their face 24/7, where the noise actually can become a comfort (depending on volume, tone, pattern, static, etc) is completely possible, and good for them because they CAN reclaim their lives.

It's just not a good mentality to be thinking "THAT" is the cure... and leave it at that, going on with life, and failing to advocate for the suffering that it truly can bring. One day those investments may pay off, if only people advocated more then PERHAPS we'd have decent treatment now instead of in a decade.

Real breakthrough science is pretty rare though even in the best of circumstances of interest/funding.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    3. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      This ###king sucks. I'm sorry.

It's a classic you're too sick to work full-time but not sick enough to get help/benefits sandwich trap.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Ah, I should have clarified this in my post but I do not have personal experience of the benefits system and am very fortunate to be living with my family who support me. From what I have read though, the disability system is failing people horribly. This needs to change.

It's a real shame because I would absolutely love to be doing something productive and contributing to society - I am sure I can speak for most people here in saying that. But options feel very limited when your health won't necessarily allow you to fit into the 40-hour workweek mold. I'm trying to look for part-time work and see where that gets me.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Eh hanging in the best I can... anxiety is getting the best of me I think. Super nervous to travel with all of this. Not quite sure how I’m going to be able to enjoy myself. How are you?

6. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      As far as I am concerned, Chad Lawton's mention of that Buddhist monk's self-immolation as a prime example of the power of habituation is as fatuously objectionable as Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's comments equating mask mandates to the Holocaust.

Also, he surely did not have to display his execrable taste in downloading arguably the most grisly archival footage ever recorded to supposedly underline his point.

"Look what self-control this monk exhibited by remaining stationary when engulfing himself in flames; surely this should provide all of the impetus you need to develop total mental detachment from tinnitus. If he could do this, then surely you can strengthen yourself in learning to ignore your tinnitus as much as he ignored the flames."

Actually, this characterization of ultimate habituation is woefully misplaced; people with medical backrounds have told me that the nervous system would be so overwhelmingly fried and shocked (as with execution by electrocution) that only immediate, absolute numbness would result (not to mention an inability to breathe, which would also result in the total loss of consciousness).

In fact, I recall (I kid you not) that I actually once mentioned this act of self-immolation to my psychotherapist; I said, "Imagine the self-discipline this would have required." He replied, "Or the degree of unfathomable, certifiable insanity; the kind of healthy self-discipline and mental corralling of discomfort we recommend has virtually nothing to do with this."

The fact that the proponents of habituation have gone to such ludicrous, offensive lengths to prove their case only indicates how problematic it's application can be.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The first time I traveled with tinnitus I also was very anxious. But in the end, all went well and the traveling may even have been a turning point of seeing that I can enjoy things without being bothered by the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Same here. I'm trying to manage as well as I can day by day. I have a hearing aid/masker that helps but I try not to wear it all the time and keep it low volume.

Any changes with yours? Do you feel like you have habituated at all? I think @cruise said it well, the travel may help.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, I hate it. I hate having ringing in my ears. June 1 it has been 16 months and I’m not mildly habituated, I’ve just been trying to ignore it the best I can. I hope the travel helps, I feel like such an unstable wreck.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      This ^

When my tinnitus was mild for more than a decade, and I didn't understand that it was possible for it to even become worse than that, I would often put in noise isolating earphones and just listen to soft ringing sounds for concentration. It's a whole different ballgame now.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Yes, tinnitus is just a noise, that's correct. But if it doesn't go away within 1 year, we have to accept that most likely it will be with us forever. Don't try to fight it. There are far worse things than tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There is nothing wrong with feeling like an unstable wreck. Don't fight the feeling. Accept it. It will get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      The fact that this thread even exists agitates me to no end. I refuse to believe the threadstarter ever had tinnitus. He has no idea what he's talking about.

14. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      Hey Tara - I just want to give some words of encouragement. It's totally okay to be upset and worried and mad and whatever else you are feeling right now. I'm at a similar time frame as you and I still get very worried and often feel defeated.

However, I've also picked up some hobbies again and have been doing fun little things as COVID-19 allows. It's not easy, there is a lot I have to miss out on and won't be going back to. I'm likely to lose my job, too, which sucks even more than all my current health issues ans those will make it very hard to find a new one lol.

But even so, I find happiness in the little things. I cook and bake a lot and when a new recipe turns out well, I do feel like my old self again as I'm doing something I enjoy with good results.

Finding things that distract you and occasionally allowing to take it all I as you would before is the first step. Soon you'll notice these moments become more and more frequent.

It won't ever be like it was before even if only because we have to be more careful, but despite the mess and pain we're in, happy and carefree moments are completely possible. I'm saying that as someone who was incredibly suicidal for months because of the hellish state of my tinnitus. Just allow yourself to enjoy the little things, it will get better eventually.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      My sentiments exactly. This is reminiscent of the numerous accusations made against Julian Cowan Hill for ad nauseam insisting that habituation to tinnitus is as easy as ignoring the itching from a mosquito bite (which clearly indicates that anyone who ever had chronic intrusive tinnitus would absolutely not have made such a fatuous analogy).

I recall that in the 2011 version of "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", the captured English agent was tied to a chair when in KGB custody and forced to listen to amplified tinnitus-like sounds through tightly affixed headphones.

This was not fictional; this was employed by the Soviet Bloc Secret Service as a routine form of torture (and I believe it was also used by the Chinese Communists to coerce confessions from our captured troops during the Korean War).

The drawbacks to habituation are:

1) there is never an appreciation of the unique subjectivity of each person's reception (and perception) of tinnitus; one size appears to fit all regarding their injunctions about habituating;

2) if you are not capable of marshalling the oftentimes Promethean effort required to "fully habituate", then you are blamed for a lack of determination (and therefore of character).

As I have reported before, one year or so ago a Poster on Tinnitus Talk heard that there was a physician's convention wherein several ENT doctors agreed to sit around a table and wear headphones that played loud, commonly described tinnitus sounds. The longest that any physician could endure this was 9 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you :) I now have all this crazy stuff going on with my eyes for the last week but the doctor put it down to dry eyes. I can’t win lately :(

• Hug Hug x 6
    17. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi guys,

I agree with your opinions on the severity of tinnitus and its effect on us and the habituation. There's one big "but" in all this. We just have no other choice really. As much as I want to be wrong on it, the medical profession just doesn't care about tinnitus cures or remedies. In fact, they are busy making pills and vaccines that cause it in the first place. We can only count on our own ability to endure and adjust. I'm now figuring my own way out of this, but I no longer count on the western medicine and their poison.

Once again, I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but it's just my wishful thinking vs cruel reality.

18. Gee82

Gee82 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have seen so many useless doctors in the past 2.5 years who went on about how tinnitus is only a noise, how it’s just a bit annoying, how I will easily habituate.

Recently I have finally come across a doctor who, to my surprise, got it spot on, he said that tinnitus may be like a brain cancer that doesn’t kill you. He explained thoroughly how that little bastard that is now messing up my auditory cortex and eventually will start bombarding other areas of the brain, destroying my emotions, my personality, my cognitive functions, which is exactly what I feel is happening to me.

I wish doctors and researchers could realize how tinnitus can destroy lives and how urgently we need a cure, instead of selling habituation as a solution.

But I guess they will never get it until there are no sufferers out there who belittle tinnitus as just a noise that you can habituate to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Jdwg

Jdwg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hello Chad, sorry to hear yours was caused from a food blender, mine was too. Could I ask what brand and model it was?

20. Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxicity + Noise Exposure
      Couldn't tell you. I think it was some cheap Hamilton Beach one that I won at Dave & Busters lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Jdwg

Jdwg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No worries, it's absolutely insane that such loud items can be sold without any hearing warning... It's the biggest regret of my life purchasing a blender.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Taqq
      Worried

Taqq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/potentially meds/noise
      My tinnitus is not that loud and I have to tell myself it's only a noise if it spikes - but I totally get for those with debilitating noise that it feels like an constant assault on your brain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I can have tinnitus that I don’t notice and debilitating all in a day. With bad spikes waking me up at night.

• Agree Agree x 1