Wearable In-Ear Maskers and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by jazz, Apr 4, 2015.

?

Have you tried "in-ear" wearable maskers or hearing aids with white noise?

1. Yes, I have and they did help.

2. Yes, I have and they did not help.

3. No, I have not but am considering them.

4. No, I have not and am not considering them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Have you found any nice discreet bluetooth headphone you could reccommend to use instead of walking around with wired headphones? I consider white noise a bit harsh and I prefer pink noise instead to be played through headphones, but I haven't found any nice bluetooth headphones.

2. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Haven't made much progress, they all seem to have a string that attaches both sides...

3. danieluk
      Scared

danieluk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      anyone tried the bluetooth headphones you wear on your temples that work through bone conduction? Thinking of buying some however the battery life isnt great.

I have NHS white noises generators too by audiomed, they work well for the mid tone tinnitus. However i wear bluetooth headphones most of the time and place them behind my ears so i can hear everything still. They are rather large but have a longer battery life which is essential.

4. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
    5. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      What's a fair price for just custom in-ear maskers (non hearing aid)? I'm in the U.S. and my audiologist quoted me $2400 for both ears. Is that high?

6. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @dh42

I paid $1,600 in 2015 for the GHI Tranquil II OTE. It was from a non-profit audiology clinic in the U.S. They told me $1,600 was their cost and they did not add a profit margin. They also said the cost has been coming down over time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi dh42.
      The price for the wearable generators are about right for USA . There are different types available and this will reflect in the cost.
      Some people do not know how to use white noise generators correctly; and if they are new to tinnitus this can also create another problem.

1. If a person is new to tinnitus and uses white noise generators they are unlikely to get much benefit from them. The reason is this: In the early stages of tinnitus, usually from 6 months to a year, the condition can take a lot of getting used to and can cause some stress. Getting used to tinnitus and wearing white noise generators as the same time can be difficult. Furthermore, Professor Pawel Jasterboff, developer of TRT has said: wearing white noise generators alone and without tinnitus counselling with a hearing therapist a person is unlikely to gain an benefit.

2. In my opinion, having had TRT twice in 20 years and used white noise generators on both occasions and still do, I agree with Jasterboff's comments.

3. If a person decides to use white noise generators without tinnitus counselling they must use them correctly. That is, putting them on in the morning and adjusting the white noise to slightly below the tinnitus. The white noise mustn't mask or cover up the tinnitus so that it can't be heard. If the tinnitus is totally masked the brain will not be able to habituate to the tinnitus. Put simply, the brain cannot habituate to the tinnitus if it cannot hear it.

4. I don't advise anyone to use white noise, pink noise or any type of audio through: headphones, earphones, earbuds or headset and play this sound into the ears. I know some people do this but I don't recommend it. Usually the sound is masking the tinnitus which I have already mentioned is not ideal. I also believe if a person isn't careful they can irritate the cochlea which could make the tinnitus more intrusive. It is best to use wearable white noise generators and be under the care of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    8. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      How are they working for you? Did they help you habituate? And do you use a hearing aid at all?

9. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @dh42

No, unfortunately they did not help, and I think they may have made things worse, but it is hard to know for sure if TRT was the reason for worsening or if it was going to happen anyway. My hearing thresholds are normal, so I did not use a hearing aid.

10. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I have a hearing aid and opted out of the white noise. Just having the hearing aid filling in the sounds I was missing helps a lot! Personally, I didn't see how adding more noise to my head would make it quieter... I might try it some time later...

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Song interpreter When using white noise generators the sound level is set below the tinnitus. The brain over time habituates to the white noise and pushes the tinnitus into the background so it becomes less noticeable. If hyperacusis is present, the white noise desensitises the auditory system over time so it becomes less sensitive to sound.
      Michael.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I understand what you are saying, but not the theory. It kinda sounds like homeopathy theory. I know it's not...

13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I just received the GHI Tranquil II OTE. They cost $895 for a pair. I have no opinion at this time if they are helpful or make my noise worse. Will update later.

Attached Files:

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @dh42
      Providing you use the white noise generators correctly then you should find them helpful. Remember, they are not a quick fix, it takes time. Put them on in the morning and set the volume slightly below your tinnitus. The white noise "mustn't" mask your tinnitus.
      Ideally, wngs should be worn for up to 10hrs a day. Some people need time to get used to them. I normally advise wearing them at 2hr intervals then take them off for two hrs. Slowly build-up the wearing time over a few weeks until you are able to wear them continuously for 8 to 10hrs.

WNGs shouldn't be worn in bed at night. Use a free standing sound machine by the bedside and set the volume slightly below the tinnitus. In the morning put the wngs on and go about your day. Try not to adjust the volume when out on the street. Some people turn up the volume because the noise of traffic masks the White noise - Please don't do this. If you constantly adjust the WNGs volume, you will make it more difficult for your brain to habituate the white noise.

The idea is: over time the brain focuses on the white noise (habituates) and slowly pushes the tinnitus further into the background.
      Michael

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      http://www.ttsrelief.com/
      Had a Zoom (like Skype) session with a audiologist from above where I got the WNG's. So far I am optimistic about their help and professionalism. Time will tell. Some type of benzo or AD is probably needed also. This person (not connected with tts) talks more highly about diazepam.
      http://tinnitushomepage.com/treatment/

16. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      Has anyone had success with a hearing aid/masker?

17. Pawel

Pawel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      These are two that I have been given for a trial and found them quite comfortable.Unfortunately the only camera I've got was a camera phone so quality is low.My goal is to check where I can buy such and make some research to find preferable price.

Anyone know the model of these generators?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
        1.jpg
        File size:
        781.8 KB
        Views:
    18. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hey Pawel,

Can't you make an inquiry from whomever you got the maskers from and ask for the make and model? And after that research the prices online.

19. Pawel

Pawel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      @Markku Unfortunately it's no longer possible

20. coldroses
      Sleepy

coldroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury from pedestrian accident with car
      What about those patches you wear behind your ear - I think they are made by a Swedish company? Are they are more cost-effective option? Do they work?

21. Benjamin Greenberg
      Surrender

Benjamin Greenberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Ear Trauma
      Hi Everyone, it's been a while!

I recently tried out a new set of digital GHI simply tranquils (after losing my pair of 7 years at an interview...); it didn't help my tinnitus at all ... I went back to the analog version, but they had to build it again from scratch! I was told that they are doing away with the 'white noise only' versions, and moving into more digital pink/brown/multi-tonal noises, etc., but that's real bad news to me as none of the newer versions I've tried can provide me any relief.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Or is aware of other companies making sound generating devices (that are not part of a hearing aid system) besides GHI??

On a side note, after a few months without these devices in my ears much of the day, it's interesting how differently people respond when they can 'see' evidence of a disability, instead of having to trust me when I simply tell them what I suffer from...

22. MSMARKO

MSMARKO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yesterday I got Siemens. I am horrified at the prospect of wearing these. I suppose I have a bad attitude. They're annoying. The white noise dampens environmental sound as do the devices themselves so it's harder to hear and I have normal hearing. It's like wearing noisy earplugs and seems another kind of tinnitus. I slept with them part way through the night. I think my tinnitus seems less intrusive in the morning though. I had to take a loan to get them and I just resent the whole thing. Nearly $4000. Can anyone here tell me why I shouldn't take them back.

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @MSMARKO White noise generators must be worn correctly in order to get benefit from them. Going to sleep wearing them is not a good idea as they can be uncomfortable and the ears need a rest. A sound machine placed by the bedside and set to play throughout the night should be used instead. When wearing the WNG, the tinnitus must not be masked (covered up) othewise you will not learn to habituated to the tinnitus. The volume of the WNG should be set slightly below the tinnitus.

It is advisable to build up the wearing time of the WNGs gradually to allow your ears and auditory system to get used to them. Wear them at 2hrs intervals. 2hrs on and then 2hrs off. Slowly build up the wearing time over a few weeks, until you have achieved a total wearing time of 8 to 10hrs a day. Furthermore, white noise generators are usually used as part of TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) which involves counselling with a Hearing Therapist. Unless you have the counselling, you are not likely to get much benefit from wearing the white noise generators alone.

Click on my "started threads" in the list there are many posts on white noise generators and TRT that you might find helpful. Read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, which is in the list and also covers the use of WNGs as part of TRT

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    24. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Anybody use wearable noise generators on a daily basis? How much do they help you?

Also TRT any good? Think this is maybe the best option for "treatment" at this present day.

25. Hadassah
      Bookworm

Hadassah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been wearing mine for 3 months and cannot imagine not having them now. I paid $7000 for mine - Bluetooth is a beneficial feature to use with my phone, and batteries and all filters are "free" for 3 yrs, plus my audiologist is amazing anytime I need to visit. I was skeptical before I got them, but with a refundable 3 month trial, I could not pass on it. I'm thrilled I did and encourage those who can afford it to at least try it. I also have a hearing loss (high frequency), but for me, the benefit of my hearing devices is for T, not necessarily for my hearing loss ...

And, as a side note, I do not sleep in mine and mine ARE set below my T to make habituation possible ... which IS occurring! Happy Heart!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Michael D

Michael D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music and other
      Hello, all. This is my first post here, having just joined Tinnitus Talk a few days ago.

My wife found this device called "The Tackler". Interestingly, none of my searches brought up this device on the forum, so I wanted to post here, bring to everyone's attention, and get opinions on it. I'm thinking about buying one.

http://www.thetackler.com/main.html

-Mike

• Like Like x 1
    27. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I recently trialled a hearing aid masker but handed it back because the price was well over a £1000.

I have good hearing but tinnitus, anybody know of any affordable WNG's without the hearing aid component for it so it could be cheaper?

28. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thinking about buying one too

29. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I got these earlier this year but have not used them much yet. TTS is no longer in business though after its parent company stopped funding them. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/wearable-in-ear-maskers-and-tinnitus.8981/page-3#post-233202

I would be curious if anyone has had good results from "thetackler" ? I think they use to advertise on eBay.

30. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just looked at their website and video, they look good. Still a rip off like but better than what audiologists try and get off you.

• Agree Agree x 1