What Video Games Can You Play with Hyperacusis or Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ava Lugo, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I have bad reactive tinnitus but I heard it's considered hyperacusis so speakers and headphones irritate my reactive tinnitus. I am thinking I have a sound sensitivity issue.

I want to buy a Nintendo Switch Lite to pass the time but I don't know what games I can play mute.

What video games don't require sound besides Rocket League and Tetris?

2. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      The Night In The Woods is a fun indie game that can be played silently. All the dialouge is subtitled.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Ylva
      Doh

Ylva Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections + stress + drugs
      Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps maybe? It's very relaxing as well :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Most modern role-play games have the option to turn on subtitles. Like Skyrim or Dragon Age Origins (a lot better than Inquisition). Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins are over 10 years old, so no need for a crazy computer. I think I've sunk 500+ hours in each of them.

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I play my Switch all the time with the volume down. I've fared well with most games... Breath of the Wild, Links Awakening, Animal Crossing, Mario Galaxy are a few that I've played with no volume.

6. guenguer

guenguer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss 2004/12/14/15
      Quite literally every game ever is deaf proof = subtitles or early games no speech at all.

The gaming industry is and was a pioneer in these terms.

7. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Disagree.

While most games feature subtitles, some gameplay elements may feature certain sounds/audio cues, and not all subtitles cover all of the dialogue.

It's gotten better in terms of accessibility. The Last Of Us Part 2 being a great example. But still needs improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I know very little about games except the early NES ones.

I do play CIV 6, though. 100% does not need sound. I like the PC version a lot better than the Switch one though (though I have only played it once since I don't own a Switch) but a lot of people like the Switch version.

My friend *raves* about Stardew Valley and tried to get me to play. I might give it a try but it looks like boring to me honestly. The people that are into it are *really* into it though and if it looks like your kind of thing, it's a good time waster. My friend said he's already put in 40 hours in 2 weeks.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I'm guessing that it would be okay to play CIV 6 with the volume mute on the Switch then? It looks like a nice game.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Animal Crossing doesn’t really need sound at all. It can burn a lot of time if you like building/decorating type games.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Okay I might try that, however some people are like "but you won't hear the mole crickets!"

Anybody on here know if you need sound to play Kirby Clash? I'm also thinking of other games I'd like to play.

12. buttercake

buttercake Guest

Maybe Cuphead. It's very challenging (and frustrating) though, you will need to study each boss' game mechanics.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Pokemon Go!

14. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Depends on your taste. Most RPGs or story-based games. As someone else mentioned, games are much more accessible nowadays. And "movie type games" that are cutscene and dialogue-choice heavy are very popular. Stuff by Telltale, or David Cage (if you're into that...).

A strategy game like Age of Empires or even Fire Emblem would be good too. Puzzle games too. FPS's are probably out of the question because of audio cues, though most nowadays show you where you're being shot from.

I dunno if your H is as severe as mine, but if it is, I'd try to limit platformers that require precise jumps or hack and slash games or even fighting games. I learned the hard way that rapid button input can be too loud alone and can cut right through ear protection.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I guess I'll try some puzzle games too. So like anime story based games would be okay to play on mute? Like Dragon Quest XI and Tales of Symphonia? Would those games be okay to play on mute too? Because I'd like to play some fantasy games because I like fantasy stuff. I just worry my options are extremely limited even in the game world. I don't want to buy a Switch and not be able to use it... I don't have pain hyperacusis or anything, just reactive tinnitus with a bit of dysacusis.

16. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      I never played Dragon Quest XI but it's modern so I'd assume it would have subtitles. Most JRPGs do. Tales of Symphonia has subtitled dialogue in all areas of the game. The most you'd miss out on is people saying their attack names and the great soundtrack. If you are ok with button clicking then you'll be fine too.

You'll be able to play plenty of games. Again, most are subtitled or have dialogue of sorts. If you're sticking to the RPG genre too especially, that's much more likely to have it than an FPS.

• Useful Useful x 1
    17. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I play Skyrim without sound sometimes. It has subtitles.

18. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      Actually, almost any game for handheld is designed in a way that makes you able to play muted. Not all the people use headphones, and these games can be played in a bus, train, etc. so devs do what they can to make playing muted not-an-issue.

• Informative Informative x 1