Xenon Pharmaceuticals' XEN1101 — Kv7 Potassium Channel Modulator

Discussion in 'Research News' started by jer, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Jerad

Jerad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      Good to hear from you, too. Been a rough summer for sure. Hoping my tinnitus and noxacusis improve soon. Hope all’s well with you, too.

Ya, I don’t think a collaboration between Prof. Tzounopoulos and Xenon Pharmaceuticals will ever happen, tbh. I understand what you mean. It would be cool to see and seems logical that the 2 leading groups could benefit and learn from one another if joining forces, but the world doesn’t work like that usually. I did see a recent report, however, that Elon Musk is trying to collaborate and join forces with his Neuralink competitor. So who knows...

What I wonder is, does the Department of Defense even know that a very similar drug they’ve paid Prof. Tzounopoulos to develop is already underway with another company. If they didn’t know and found out, would they invest in XEN1101, too?

I don’t know. When it comes to solving our medical problems, unfortunately, a lot of our hopes and dreams collide with conjecture or things fantastic, as we’re basically on a ship without a paddle, atm, in a sea that’s as vast as the cosmos itself. Often, what seems practical or rational won’t happen in this world because of egos and money. A lot of this world’s current problems could be solved, otherwise.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. DoesItStop

DoesItStop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual snow, amitriptyline
      Did you take an antidepressant that caused your tinnitus? I thought your tinnitus was from your ear being too close to a car alarm. I know how it is though, often tough to even pinpoint what pushed our brains into this massive dysfunction.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

The spike I had from the car alarm was ridiculously mild compared to what it is now. Non reactive, just a little bit louder.

No ADs, not risking it. The day after I took the Clonazepam my tinnitus turned electrical and reactive. Everyone was telling me it was my anxiety, so I stayed on it for 6 months before starting my taper.

I'm sure the noise didn't help, but the back and forth shit started after reinstating.

4. StoneInFocus
      Fine

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      :huganimation:
      This is a good point you raise here. Even though XEN1101 and RL-81 operate on the same potassium channels, Xenon Pharmaceuticals doesn't have any concrete plans to investigate their drug's potential for treating tinnitus. What's also important to know is that, according to the Prof. Tzounopoulos, more animal studies are needed to assess the effectiveness of RL-81 in treating tinnitus. According to the Discussion section of his mice study:
      So there still remains a lot to be investigated before we know how RL-81 can be used in the treatment of tinnitus, let alone other compounds.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Jerad

Jerad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      RL-81 is more potent than its predecessor, Trobalt, right? I know XEN1101 is. Many have theorized that the increased potency of Xenon Pharmaceuticals’ drug means it will be exponentially more effective. And it’s more selective in the potassium channels it acts on, too, I believe — only the ones that really matter. I think that’s one reason it’s believed the nasty side effects are eradicated. XEN1101 and RL-81 act on the same potassium channels, right?

Hopefully, both drugs will help tinnitus beyond the acute stage, too. Trobalt did for many, so it stands to reason that these new, improved prospects would, too. It would be nice to see a clinical trial soon for tinnitus with either of these drugs.

• Agree Agree x 4