Xenon Pharmaceuticals' XEN1101 — Kv7 Potassium Channel Modulator

Discussion in 'Research News' started by jer, Mar 3, 2018.

1. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This is a very dangerous assumption. There just isn't enough data or research (especially on people with tinnitus or who already have visual snow) to assume.

Yes, the fact that it's significantly safer than Retigabine is true. However, we won't know for certain until people try it out. The mechanisms of visual snow are unknown. Yes, the side effects results from the clinical trials are not bad at all, but in any case people should be wary. The subjects in the XEN1101 trial did not have tinnitus, as far as I can tell. However, I would assume some might have had it to some degree, due to it being such a common condition.

The dosages of Retigabine were massive. Some were taking up to 900 mg a day, which is ginormous compared to the 10-20 mg of XEN1101. It also hit many potassium channels. My theory as to why some people didn't see as much effect as others is the exact potassium channels being modified for everyone in such a broad drug was very different; some had their KCNQ2/KCNQ3 affected more than others.

People have to be careful with a drug like this, especially if they show signs of visual snow, even mild. We are wired differently than people with epilepsy.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Probably best fits here, although general potassium channel stuff:
      What’s the buzz? The neuroscience and the treatment of tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 8
    3. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      • Informative Informative x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. HopeForSilence
      Sad

HopeForSilence Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion/noise
      When can we expect clinical results/data from the XEN1101 Phase 3 Epilepsy Program?

At ClinicalTrials.gov they estimate the study completion date in October 2025.

5. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I have read through the threads on potassium channel activators. I accept the theory as good.

However, if the companies thought they would likely be effective tinnitus treatments and, given the size of the market potential, then why are they not in trials for tinnitus?

The scientists will be well read on their actions and also familiar with tinnitus as a market. Even if they were to fail in tinnitus trials, it would not stop successful epilepsy trials taking the product to market.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    6. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      This has been talked about endlessly. One of the reasons is because TFI is really the only way to measure the effect of the drug. The pharmaceutical companies need some concrete objective testing measure for results to be able to say the drug works.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. HopeForSilence
      Sad

HopeForSilence Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion/noise
      Tinnitus is hard to measure. In addition, trials cost a lot of money. I think that these are the main reasons why they are not focussed on tinnitus.

They also stated that these medications (XEN1101) might be potentially helpful for other neurological diseases.

I guess they are aware of the following point: Once they have FDA approval for the targeted market/disease, off-label use and further FDA confirmations/trials for other diseases will be much easier, since they have a stable cash flow from that working treatment.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3