Xenon Pharmaceuticals' XEN1101 — Kv7 Potassium Channel Modulator

Discussion in 'Research News' started by jer, Mar 3, 2018.

1. JPGL
      Frustrated

JPGL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss? Noise? Stress? Unknown
      The idea would be to hold out here with XEN-1101 as a palliative treatment until regenerative drugs come on to the market.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Toby1972
      Sleepy

Toby1972 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise drama and stress
      Haha, I would also have to lie to take part in the study because my depression is severely severe, so I would have to lie that I only have moderate depression. I would not falsify the results. Haha, my psychotherapist (actually quite a good one) also says I should downplay the stressful things (can't do with 9/10 tinnitus, 24/7) lol.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      I wouldn’t have to lie. I have symptoms of MDD and PTSD. My biggest concern about the upcoming clinical trial(s) for this is that it looks like MRIs might be a requirement, as they want to image the brain as part of the study. With severe tinnitus and hyperacusis, MRIs would be a no-no.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      If I had tinnitus alone I would never even consider lying to participate in a trial.

I've had tinnitus for a long time, and even though I've been through some excruciatingly dark moments, I've managed to function with it at least somewhat.

What I cannot do is reconciling chronic hyperacusis with a somewhat normal life. It's just not possible.

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Found this study:

The Role of Inflammation in Tinnitus: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Maybe someone has some insight on it! Potassium channel modulators are not mentioned, but they do say this:

''Accumulating evidence suggests that inflammation plays a role in the pathogenesis of subjective tinnitus. Noise exposure and salicylate administration both lead to inflammation throughout the whole auditory pathway. In particular, TNF-α, IL-1β, glia and activated platelets are associated with acute tinnitus. TNF-α and IL-1β influence NMDA and GABAA receptors, leading to an increased excitatory and decreased inhibitory neurotransmission. These changes can lead to neuroplasticity and thus chronic tinnitus. Whether inflammatory mediators still play a role in chronic tinnitus remains to be elucidated. Nevertheless, drugs targeting the involved inflammatory mediators could be a potential effective treatment for (acute) tinnitus.''​

So how can potassium channel modulators help if there are so many other inflammatory factors that can alter neuroplasticity and therefore sustain chronic tinnitus?

6. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      They have quiet MRIs. Look for Siemens Quiet Suite.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      • Agree Agree x 3
    9. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      What I like is the fact that Xenon does not BS around with publishing papers, peer reviewing before publishing results etc. Commercial companies with an incentive for business is what will drive the treatments. They won't hesitate with their FDA submissions once the trials are over.

I'm also excited about Oxytocin. It provided 25% reduction against placebo in a small study, it is widely available and does not require FDA approvals. The study closes 6th of May and I don't expect them to take years to come with the results. Might be our first temporary relief. Not sure why it gets so little attention. This treatment is the furthest in the entire tinnitus pipeline.

• Like Like x 3
    10. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      So if the stars are all aligned with respect to outcomes for this and future trials, is 2024 a reasonable guess as to when it might appear on the market?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      So can we get Oxytocin from the market as of now?

12. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      They are using high dosage, not sure what the other ingredients are but it is a well documented substance which is used during giving birth etc. I would wait a few months until the study results are published.

13. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      Xenon Pharmaceuticals is Canadian. I wonder if it will be released first in the United States before Canada or at the same time. They did trial the drug here and there.

14. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      This is my guess. I feel there is a 90% chance of it being released as an epilepsy drug in mid 2024. Then I think it will follow quickly for depression as they will have accumulated enough efficacy and safety data from the various trials to market it for depression.

When already on the market for epilepsy, will a Phase 3 trial for depression even be necessary?

Maybe someone with better knowledge than I can clarify this.

15. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Could you get it without a prescription so I could buy it for tinnitus? What do you think about the price? When a company is private I know they are free to go on market with a price that will allow them to recover their costs, so the price can be high?

That of course will go against my first sentence, so probably the drug will not be covered by insurance!

Another question that is in my mind, does this drug modulate the potassium channels of all the cranial nerves or is it so selective that it modulates the auditory nerve only?

16. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      I've read an analysis somewhere that it has the potential to be priced around €80,000 EUR per year. Cannot find the exact wording but there is a very interesting analysis on XEN1101 / XEN496 here:

Xenon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (XENE) - INITIATION REPORT (PDF)

17. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      And for what potassium channels they work on? For which nerves...? Some of us have sensory tinnitus...

18. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      I am totally clueless on the pharmaceutical industry and healthcare in America, but my god that price is depressing. Would people actually have to buy that out of their own pocket? In that case I'd rather go full Walter White mode and cook something up myself. Or shoot some Quercetin up my bum...

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      XEN496 might be priced high as it is a niche market, with a severe need for treatment.

XEN1101 has many competitors for focal epilepsy treatment and if it's going after the depression market it will not be priced relatively high in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    20. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
    21. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      • Like Like x 6
    22. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Need more updates!

• Agree Agree x 3
    24. Hottopic29

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Since they did Canadian trials too, Health Canada will have this approved quicker than the FDA I bet...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Wonder if we can apply for compassionate use, but given they aren't testing "tinnitus/hearing damage" I'm kind of doubting it, unless we had a comorbidity related to one of their seizure studies.

Their Phase 2 was a bombshell of good news for focal seizures, so that leads me forward with hope as opposed to so many of these borderline significant other drugs.

26. Hottopic29

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tried to read more about on Trobalt. I only saw people get half an hour of relief unless I'm not reading it right.

And I do see eye issues still mentioned in the new data released on Xenon, so I continue to be worried about visual snow.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    27. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      I see that XEN496 is not a copy paste of Trobalt but they are also addressing pigmentation issues. I always thought this was generically the same.

Old news post:
      Xenon Expands Ion Channel Neurology Pipeline with Addition of XEN496, a “Phase 3 Ready” Potassium Channel Modulator for the Treatment of Epilepsy

Xenon is working on a pediatric-specific formulation for XEN496 that may also address certain pigmentation issues associated with ezogabine.

Is anyone going to give this a go once on the market or do you patiently wait another year? I see no report on any EMA designation, only FDA.

28. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Will they be eligible for compassionate use?

29. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      The trial ends in a couple of months. Xenon is very fast in their reporting and publication of results. Since this is an existing compound not sure if it has to go through a new FDA approval. There are no expanded access programs but I doubt compassionate use will go much faster then waiting for the Phase 3 to complete. There are no trials needed after this one.

30. addot

addot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think you read it right; IIRC it lasted longer for some people, but nevertheless you are right that it doesn't last indefinitely. The hope is that the new drugs would last longer since they're more potent. In his Tinnitus Talk Podcast appearance, Thanos Tzounopoulos also suggested that these drugs could give the brain a chance to recalibrate and recover, which could further increase tinnitus suppression.

I'm really curious to see what are the (hopefully beneficial) effects of taking Kv channels drugs in the long term. I can easily see a scenario where these drugs suppress tinnitus for many hours, so they'd become something you take everyday. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
      I though neither of their drugs were Trobalt copypastes; that they both were more selective and more potent, but I don't really understand the difference between XEN1101 and XEN496.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1