Yoga Inversions

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mikey Cliff, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Since starting Yoga, I have been recently able to do inversions (head stands etc). I notice that when I do inversions during practice that it seems to help reduce slightly. Has anyone had a similar experience or tried inversion tables? Just curious

2. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      What is the cause of your T?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Noise induced, allegedly... Seems stupid to have it like I do when I wore protection for years

4. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Mikey Cliff I definitely notice a slight improvement in my T any time I do yoga so I think there is something to it.

5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I know I am the same. As I always wore protection.

6. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Can you isolate to which poses that give relief to T?

7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @svintegrity Here you go, this thread is for you, there was mention of you standing on your head for a month if it helps...

@Mikey Cliff Is it just the inversions that help you or are there more positions (also to anybody else who does Yoga)? Maybe we can get a grouping of positions that seem to work for most people, make a Yoga self-treatment guide for tinnitus.

I am very inflexible, know that I need to work on that, so I really want to try some type of Yoga.

• Like Like x 1
    8. @Steve Hey, this is great! I have been a Yoga teacher for 30 years, and have the highest Yoga teacher regisrty with the Yoga a Alliance. That is where I came up wth the headstand idea. Sirsasana. I still do 45 minutes of Yoga every morning, even though I have had to quit teaching since my T started. I plan to pick it up again, hopefully after my surgery. My T seems to lessen after my Yoga practice, but it is very short term. The best pose for me is the knees to ears pose. Karnapidnasa. It is also known as an ear pressure pose. I wish I could stay in it all day! Om shanti, shanti to everyone on Tinnitus Talk!

9. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Ah I see, preaching to the converted a little here then. Do you think that Yoga for tinnitus is feasible, will there be different things to do specifically for it? I wonder if Yoga in general is good or if we really can pick out those poses that help with the neck area and that people report are helpful.

One question; I can only get my knees to my cheeks, at a big stretch, will this be as good?

10. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Its hard to say--its more like the cumulative effect of all the poses plus the deep breathing means that I feel more relaxed at the end of class and thus have a lower tinnitus impact throughout the day. I have a class I go to weekly where we do inversions and the like throughout class so I think some of it helps, but I don't think there are any particular poses that you can point directly to as directly beneficial. Inversions might be more helpful because they may help the middle ear function, but that's just my theory. My class is also nice because it's heated and the heater emits a masking noise that helps me focus on the yoga.

11. @Steve We are all different as is noted on every thread on this forum. That is why I think a differential diagnosis is so important when dealing with this affliction. Yoga as a general rule can be beneficial because of it's effects on all of the body systems, but I do think that given one's specific condition, there can be some poses that would work better than others for certain types of T. Not all T is created equal. For example @marqualler likes the heater noises because it masks his T, and I have a friend who quit going to his Yoga class because the heater noises made his T worse. Likewise, some poses create heat, while others create coolness, so a heated room may not work for some, as is noted by the controversial hot Yoga classes. That said, I do think some Yoga poses can work for T, but for me it is short-term. But it doesn't keep me from continuing with my practice on, as well as off the mat. You do Yoga off the mat everyday with your help on this forum. That is called Seva. And yes, knees to your cheeks will be just as good, just listen to your body, and don't overstretched it. Treat the pose as a journey and not a destination. Om shanti, shanti, peace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Along the line of a bit of a further discussion on Yoga inversions, I have noticed that Sarvangasana--the shoulderstand--has a calming effect on my T, similar to the knees to ears pose--Karnapidasana. Albeit short-term, nothing permanent. But, hey, I'll take what I can get. The counter pose Matsyasana--the fish pose--tends to raise my T. Go figure.

13. Mrgshock

Mrgshock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've had a humming tinnitus for 11 days, since practicing yoga with my friend in the park. I tried her routine without warming up with a standard sequence. this included a reverse triangle with hand outside. I also did a DIY pranayama breath in the park later. I probably strained some muscles, and i'm going to a chiropractor. I hope this humming goes after that.

14. Mrgshock

Mrgshock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I think too much yoga, and mental worry before my exam has caused a rumbling type tinnitus, probably from muscle and joint strain.