Your Sound Therapy Experiences — For Tinnitus Talk Podcast

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hazel, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)

We need your input for the Tinnitus Talk Podcast!

We're preparing for an episode on sound therapy. That's a broad subject obviously, because there are many formal and informal treatments out there that include some element of sound. So we're really referring to any of those, from just playing masking sounds on your phone to using in-ear noise generators to purchasing an expensive device like DeSyncra or Lenire.

We know that many of you have tried at least one form of sound therapy, whether as part of a "do it yourself" approach or under healthcare supervision. So we want to hear about your experiences. What did you try? For how long? What were the pros and cons? And most importantly, did it help?

We'll play some of your contributions during the podcast episode, as examples and to give the episode some extra colour. Our aim with the episode is to give you a (more or less) complete overview of what's out there, and what to be aware of when trying sound therapy.

Looking forward to hearing from you! You can respond either in video or audio format, and the time limit for your recorded experience is 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 6
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      OMG, 2noist, will I ever!

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I've tried sound therapy on 3 occasions. Twice with hearing aids (Widex, Oticon), once with bone conducting headphones. None has helped. I use it over speakers sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I tried Tinnitus Mix - no help. I tried Desyncra - no help.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Mags

Mags Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Sleeping with sleep headband playing rain sounds when my tinnitus started. In my case, I kept developing new tones and felt it was because my ears were receiving constant flow of sound at night. I stopped this after 3 months and slowly the tones reduced to two or three. This was advised to me to do by a tinnitus clinic. I wouldn't do it again. I don't play sounds directly into my ears anymore. I listen to music from speakers only. Occasionally headphones on low volume.

7. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I don't know if listening to random pink noise YouTube videos counts as sound therapy but they certainly did nothing at all for me.

My tinnitus is too high pitched so nothing can mask it unless it's a sound of similar pitch which of course is equally annoying than my tinnitus, and hence misses the whole point of sound therapy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      In the beginning I used white noise / cricket noises at night to help me sleep, but I didn't notice an increase in my habituation when I stopped using it. I mainly use everyday noise or music to help me if needed.

9. Ulaid

Ulaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have high pitched reactive tinnitus which gets louder with white noise.

Brown noise only helps me.

10. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Made me worse on 2 separate occasions. White noise and pink noise.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      I have used a sound machine to help me fall asleep ever since I developed tinnitus 5 years ago. I set it for one hour, and am usually asleep before the hour is up. The sound machine has a few different settings that I can choose from: rain sounds, ocean waves, thunderstorm, babbling brook or white noise. I used to set it for all night but found this would aggravate my tinnitus even more. I also will sometimes use sweeping white noise from YouTube, but once again only for the first hour or so to put me to sleep.

13. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I recorded! I hope others do as well!

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I am going to revisit sound therapy again next week (I posted about it in Treatments → Hearing Aids). Not holding my breath. Like many have said, it's one of the few options available. I am simply hoping it gets me through rough days.

15. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      I've been using notched sound therapy for more than a year. My tinnitus is now way lower than it once was, but I can't say for sure if sound therapy has helped me in that case, since I also adhere to a strict anti-inflammatory, plant-based/vegan diet and HIIT exercise (to boost BDNF for neuroplasticity/neurogenesis). Those two things could also have played a part in that regard. Or maybe it's just sheer luck :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Another epic failure. After less than a day of trialing the Phonak P70, I'm having a massive spike since 3 AM. I tried to put the hearing aids in only to realize that the sharpness of the sound aggravates things. For shits & giggles I popped in my bone conducting headphones and sure enough they are not as aggravating.

17. MartinPihl

MartinPihl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Notched music therapy did absolutely nothing for me.

18. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I'm the same. What's brown noise, @Ulaid?

19. Lazyboy
      Wishful

Lazyboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25 feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music in a rehearsal room
      The difference between white, pink, brown noise etc is the volume level of the all the individual frequencies present in the particular noise type (white, pink, brown etc).

White noise is the harshest of the 3 due to the higher frequency volume levels. Brown noise has the same frequencies present but the higher frequencies are reduced in volume. This makes you able hear more of the lower frequency spectrum present in brown noise so the sound is softer and often a lot easier to listen to.

• Informative Informative x 2
    20. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      And is pink noise softer on high frequencies too?

21. Lazyboy
      Wishful

Lazyboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25 feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music in a rehearsal room
      Yes, pink noise has a lower volume of the high frequencies than white noise, and brown noise is lower still.

22. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      The Link Between Tinnitus and Dementia | Signia
      Holy smokes, since I am 68, out of curiosity I typed in "can chronic tinnitus lead to Dementia?", and this is what I got.

And there's a lot more that even postulates that this can be a catalyst for early onset Alzheimer's.

Once again, the Habituationists, the TRTers and the CBTers are apparently utterly wrong with their pollyannaish assurances that tinnitus is "just a sound" that will have no lasting effects on the brain.

And why shouldn't we regard tinnitus as serious a condition as, for example, schizophrenia; one involves phantom voices, and the other phantom sound. Both conditions must be the result of definite brain dysfunctions.

All I know is that my reading comprehension and short-term memory have been appreciably reduced since I got this.

23. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Tinnitus should be regarded as serious as schizophrenia. Both are a brain dysfunction. On this we agree.

The challenge with any initial observation about correlation is that you don't yet know anything about causation, only that they coexist. Using one of your points as an example, let's accept for a minute that reduced cognitive function is found with tinnitus and let's say we even have a statistically significant data set telling us this. The question then is why do they coexist? Is there a pre-existing condition causing the brain dysfunction of both tinnitus and dementia? Is reduced cognitive function as simple as cumulative sleep deprivation that may be treatable with coexisting tinnitus? B12 deficiency has been found to cause increased tinnitus severity and cognitive decline as an example. This goes on but you get the point.

In the meantime, we all have a choice @DaveFromChicago when this unwelcome visitor initially becomes a squatter in our heads. We can either take no initiative and wait for a cure or we can explore and take advantage of any techniques that may be able to give us relief and improve our quality of life in the present moment. For any given individual, many techniques may fail on the way to finding relief. I had to go through at least a half dozen failed attempts at reducing my pain hyperacusis before I finally found some things that worked. My tinnitus no longer affects my life due to the techniques discussed here and in other sources. No judgement brother, your life, your choices but there are others who have and will continue to benefit from some of the techniques that you referenced. Caveat emptor of course but the anecdotal report of the failed experience of one person is not a prediction of the outcome of all individuals in a larger and diverse population in any affliction.

I wish you good fortune on your journey and with whatever relief that you seek.

P.S. I am 68 as well and of all the things that I have lost, I miss my brain the most.

George

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I use a mix of brown noise and bird chirping at night on a low volume through the night which helps me sleep right through most nights anyway.